Audeze LCD-4z - Impressions Thread
Apr 26, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #1,501 of 2,477
well i guess i might as well cough it up and get the best.

however if i get the 4z....i cant get a hugo2 or even buy another amp to add to my RME adi 2 dac fs.
so i guess final question is. is my RME capable enough to get 95% of the best the lcd4z is capable of

i wont be able to upgrade my dac or add an amp for about another 18 months....virus is the boss

Apr 26, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #1,502 of 2,477

however if i get the 4z....i cant get a hugo2 or even buy another amp to add to my RME adi 2 dac fs.
so i guess final question is. is my RME capable enough to get 95% of the best the lcd4z is capable of

i wont be able to upgrade my dac or add an amp for about another 18 months....virus is the boss

I don't see why you can't run the 4z on the RME. If it was the LCD-4, that may be underpowered, though.

Apr 26, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #1,503 of 2,477

You'll destroy your hearing and the drivers before you stress out the amp on your ADI-2, it 's a great pair with the 4z.

Apr 27, 2020 at 6:14 AM Post #1,505 of 2,477
But isn't the Amazon a to z guarantee to protect you?

Yes SuperTime, but it will take you a lot of stress and trouble before you see your money back again.
I have already seen this scammer last year on amazon.de, selling all kinds of electronic devices or appliances for fantastic prices, usually using only one or two prices.,
with shop names updates over time.

From my understanding his business model would be like this:

- he purchases the login data and credentials from defunct amazon reseller businesses with high customer ratings (above 95%) and no longer operating (I remember checking the customer feedbacks, which showed that one of these businesses was one which used to sell their own self-grown organic agricultural products... = completely unrelated to the devices he was pretending to sell...) ; if you check the last customer ratings are from before 2016, or something like this --> most people will not check further, just relying on the high satisfaction ratings.

- as amazon discards the account once many customers complain, he starts again with another reseller data

- he even puts several disclaimers on his amazon data that he will not send the item unless you mail him first for about the availability and unless you have received his authorization before placing the order
("Bitte machen Sie keine Bestellungen, ohne um Genehmigung zu bitten, ohne unsere Erlaubnis wird die Bestellung storniert" ; "Achtung * Bevor Sie eine Bestellung aufgeben, kontaktieren sie uns bitte, wenn das Produkt verfügbar ist ") s--> he can't be blamed or sued ("the customer was warned")

- the point is that some people don't check the reseller's description (the more so given the high satisfaction ratings), will not read these disclaimers, and will order and pay for expensive non-available items.
I don't know whether the guy ever pays back, but even if he does he can use delays while the victims try to escalate the issue through amazon customer department so he cankeep a good cash flow on his bank account.

So STAY AWAY from this Coronamazon scam!
all the best and keep healthy,
bidn

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #1,506 of 2,477
ok lastly, what cable do you guys recommend other than the stock? something to look forwardd to

Get a pure copper or pure silver cable. Don't get a silver plated copper (SPC) cable.
I'm assuming that you are on a budget based on your comments above. For starters, I would look into:

Wireworld Nano Eclipse 7 with 2 mini 4 pin XLR for Audeze LCD series
https://www.tweekgeek.com/nano-eclipse-7/

Norne Draug 3
http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/...r-hd800-hd800s-sony-z1r-z7-balanced-4-pin-xlr

Corpse Cable Gravedigger
https://corpsecable.com/collections/audeze-lcd-series

If you're willing to spend more, the Wywires Platinum and the Norne Silvergarde 3 are excellent (I own both). I also own the Norne Draug 2 (previous version of the 3) and the Corpse Gravedigger. I haven't tried the Wireworld headphone cable but I have a custom made Wireworld headphone extension cable that is the best extension cable that I've tried and I have several including ones from Kimber Kable, Double Helix and Norne.

Apr 27, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #1,507 of 2,477

I've checked out the 4z on a $500 DAC (RME Babyface), the HUGO TT2, the HPA4 with one of the Benchmark DAC's, and now the ADI-2 Pro FS R. In my opinion, the 4z is extremely forgiving with regards to DAC (much more so than even other Audeze headphones I auditioned). Also, the difference between DAC's was, in my experience, much less pronounced than the difference between headphones. I haven't compared all DAC's during the same session, so I can't be very precise, but I can say that there is a clear difference between the Babyface and the ADI-2. The TT2 and the HPA both sounded amazing. So does the 4z+ADI-2 combination I now have - I would have to compare the DAC's side-by-side with the ADI-2 to see how great the difference is. But I'm not looking that until my wallet has started to recover a bit :wink:
I would have to figure out a way to do digital EQ on the signal before it goes into the new DAC, though, because I definitely don't want to give up the EQ.

Apr 27, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #1,508 of 2,477
All you need is a JDS Atom with the 4Z to make it sing. No need for fancy gear with this headphone. Made no difference with a $100 to a $5000 amp with this.

Apr 27, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #1,509 of 2,477
A question I have is if I do have a strong tube amp (Cayin HA-300) with 3.7W to 250 Ohm, would it still be beneficial for me to get the 4z or just stick with the 4? If you have a good enough to drive the LCD-4, is 4z sonically better in anyway compared to the 4?

Apr 27, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #1,510 of 2,477
@jambaj0e

4Z is extremely easy to drive. Powering it like a original 4 will blow up the drivers. And you will be here in a few months crying that your 4Z driver is dead and thinking how it happen? And we suppose to feel sorry and stuff and than you will take your anger out on poor Audeze.

Also if you have a 4? why the heck you want a 4Z? Thats just a silly thing to do. Buy another headphone.

Apr 27, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #1,511 of 2,477
@jambaj0e

4Z is extremely easy to drive. Powering it like a original 4 will blow up the drivers. And you will be here in a few months crying that your 4Z driver is dead and thinking how it happen? And we suppose to feel sorry and stuff and than you will take your anger out on poor Audeze.

Also if you have a 4? why the heck you want a 4Z? Thats just a silly thing to do. Buy another headphone.

No, you misunderstood my question. I have the LCD-3 currently, and am looking to upgrade. Since my 300b tube amp is powerful enough to drive the LCD-4, aside from the lighter weight, what sound quality benefit would I get with getting the LCD-4z over the LCD-4?

Apr 27, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #1,512 of 2,477
@jambaj0e

That is a hard question and there will be bias opinions on both sides. I got the 4Z because of the weight redistribution. Mostly because of that. And sadly the 4Z is still heavy. They are technically 5% different. All I can say, is that the original was shouty vs the 4Z which is more laid back.

This question is similar to 009 vs 009S / HD800 vs HD800S.

There is bias and opinions on which is better.

Apr 27, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #1,513 of 2,477
No, you misunderstood my question. I have the LCD-3 currently, and am looking to upgrade. Since my 300b tube amp is powerful enough to drive the LCD-4, aside from the lighter weight, what sound quality benefit would I get with getting the LCD-4z over the LCD-4?

This would be my subjective answer. If you plan to keep LCD-3, then go straight to 4. It's technically more right, while produce more reference tone as well.

If you plan to sell 3F to funding the upgrade, going to 4Z is a safer choice.

note: both of them are not comfortable enough for me (for long use). But 4Z still considerably lighter on head.

Apr 27, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #1,514 of 2,477
This would be my subjective answer. If you plan to keep LCD-3, then go straight to 4. It's technically more right, while produce more reference tone as well.

If you plan to sell 3F to funding the upgrade, going to 4Z is a safer choice.

note: both of them are not comfortable enough for me (for long use). But 4Z still considerably lighter on head.

Hmm, I wouldn't mind a bit more laid back if it's more in between the LCD-3 and LCD-4. I'm definitely selling the LCD-3F though, if I get the LCD-4/4z

Apr 28, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #1,515 of 2,477
Hmm, I wouldn't mind a bit more laid back if it's more in between the LCD-3 and LCD-4. I'm definitely selling the LCD-3F though, if I get the LCD-4/4z

I think it'll depend on how heavily you weigh certain factors. In my research before I bought the 4z, people seemed to give the 4 the edge as far as the sound goes and you already have an amp for it.

For me, the ADI-2 is all I want to use and I wanted something I could hook up to my ES100 and listen to around the house and on the patio. Hard to do with the 4 and plus the 4z is lighter. These are my first Audezes and I can't say they're the most comfortable thing out there but I can wear them 6-7 hours a day and multiple hours at a time, no issues. You might feel the weight a little bit after a long session but when I start listening, I stop noticing them on my head pretty quickly.

Now I haven't heard the 4 but from what I've gathered it comes down to the 4 being considered a little better in regards to sound quality and the 4z is more comfortable and portable for around-the-house type usage. Hopefully there's some people here who can elaborate more on the sonic differences, I'm sure there's folks out there that prefer the sound of the 4z too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back