Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Dec 23, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #3,496 of 6,820
oh you have a TC! How do you like it? How much do you use it vs your LCD-4? Do you find they complement each other or overlap? I was looking to buy a TC next week and I'd definitely appreciate your thoughts.
First of all I need to write that 1266 TC are with me for about a month and LCD-4 are my main cans for almost two years. I'm still trying to determine what they are and probably will be for next few months. Now, after clearing that out I must say that the day before TC delivery I got Holo May and it changed my LCD-4's the way I didn't belive that DAC can. Because of this I even prefered to listen to Audeze more then the new thing for which I was waiting three months. It was creazy for me how magical, intimate, natural and real the Four's are with May. I gave some time for TC too though.

They are different because of soundstage scale. Bass is different, more opened (probably due to bigger soundstage), reminds me a speaker setup. Some details in the tracks pop more. Yet recessed mids can make some tracks not good (like Nine Inch Nails Hurt, Queen's Who Wants to Live Forever, Adel's Skyfall) - vocals are too far away. In the end I think that without the comparison they are really good headphones, but not for all. I would say that LCD-4's are like cameral, intimate concert in a small club with great acoustics. 1266 are like a concert in a big hall.

When I tried to compare them directly to LCD-4 (which is not easy because of TC specific placement on head) this is where the problem started. Bass seems to me that is on similar level, just that both headphones serve it differently. TC's soundstage is bigger, but because of that I feel that details in sounds are harder to notice (they are there but far from you). I belive that because of that, what May brings to the table is more clear on Audeze then Abyss. Also instrument placement seems similar. I've made some test with DMS Abyss tests and LCD-4 were maybe even a bit more precised. Generaly both headphones are different jet I felt that they are in the same league. But one of them is overpriced (especially now after Abyss rised the prices). If you have LCD-4 I would recomend something more like Susvara probably. Abyss will give you bigger soundstage, and a bit different take on bass. If you had Susvaras (or maybe LCD-5's?) then you could pick from both of them. Maybe I would give a little node to TC (because of different presentation in midrange).

As I said I'll be still evaluating the TC's. They are one of a kind, that's for sure. For good and for bad. I have some thoughts about the company that may damage my jugement too.

Dec 23, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #3,497 of 6,820
I use my LCD i4 and occasionally my LCD 5 on my WA8 which has less power with eq with no problems. I also use my LCD 5 with my chord DAVE with eq. The DAVE has 1.4 watts output and is used by Audeze and Kmann as well as Glen Schick (well known Mastering engineer) with the 5s. I will admit i don’t boost the bass in eq more than 3 or 4 db but that’s a matter of taste. We listen to very different types of music. Just offering a second opinion.
I use my lcd-5 with my dave and it is a terrific combo...better I think than out of an additional amp

Dec 24, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #3,498 of 6,820
I use my LCD i4 and occasionally my LCD 5 on my WA8 which has less power with eq with no problems. I also use my LCD 5 with my chord DAVE with eq. The DAVE has 1.4 watts output and is used by Audeze and Kmann as well as Glen Schick (well known Mastering engineer) with the 5s. I will admit i don’t boost the bass in eq more than 3 or 4 db but that’s a matter of taste. We listen to very different types of music. Just offering a second opinion.

I use my lcd-5 with my dave and it is a terrific combo...better I think than out of an additional amp

Might be a presentation thing or character of the tubes? Not sure. Maybe thinner or softer on the WA7 is another way to describe it. I feel the Mini and X26 pairing has a tad more bite with certain sounds and definitely gets way louder compared to the WA7 when using eq. It would sound great if you are not. But, the Mini/X26 sounds better to me for whatever reason.

Dec 24, 2021 at 12:37 AM Post #3,499 of 6,820
I would say that LCD-4's are like cameral, intimate concert in a small club with great acoustics. 1266 are like a concert in a big hall.
Yes. The 1266 will also continue to grow on your more. Make sure you watch the 1266 setup videos on YouTube if you haven't done so already. So many different "settings". I can't believe an unnamed site tried to measure the 1266. Impossible to do properly as these are not your regular headphones...

Dec 24, 2021 at 1:36 AM Post #3,500 of 6,820
Dave into 14ohms is more like a 2,5 watts.
There is the power table that Rob shared regarding power output for the Dave.
1640327812639.png

I'm still waiting for my demo of lcd 5 at my dealer. My finger is on a trigger ready to fire....
Just need to audition them first.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2021 at 5:17 AM Post #3,501 of 6,820
I just received my new LCD-5 and I found unpleasant surprise inside the case. Knob was unscrewed from the Yoke and was moving freely inside of the aluminium case. It probably dameged the protection net inside the pad, as well as the leather of the pad itself. It could also made an scratch on the headband. Plus the foil bag in which are cables was torn.

Do you think that the damage to the net can have an effect on the sound? I was waiting more then two months for LCD-5 and if I was to return them I would have to wait probably next 2-3 months for new pair. Or maybe Audeze could send me new pair of pads and headband? @KMann

APHlOS.jpg
In the new package there is a foam block between the drivers, which prevents any damage as it completely covers them. Wasn't it in yours?
It seems impossible to me that a tip can do that disaster. Has anyone, during shipment, messed up and unscrewed the tip as an excuse for the damage?

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #3,502 of 6,820
In the new package there is a foam block between the drivers, which prevents any damage as it completely covers them. Wasn't it in yours?
It seems impossible to me that a tip can do that disaster. Has anyone, during shipment, messed up and unscrewed the tip as an excuse for the damage?
Yes, foam was there but it was misplaced. I think that because of the new design of the pads it can’t sit firmly between two cups.

With the net and the screw I think it could - it looks like something rounded was pushed to the net. But the pad damages are rather strange. Also how loosely it must be screwed to fall off completely? I was thinking that maybe someone opened them or they are from return but they have original Audeze tapes. Moreover they are taped the same way as in other Audeze’s headphones (on sides tape is only at the middle).

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #3,503 of 6,820
My screws were free floating in the accessory compartment. I was concerned they were missing until I dug and found them. They didn’t leave that compartment or cause any damage.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #3,504 of 6,820
I just received my new LCD-5 and I found unpleasant surprise inside the case. Knob was unscrewed from the Yoke and was moving freely inside of the aluminium case. It probably dameged the protection net inside the pad, as well as the leather of the pad itself. It could also made an scratch on the headband. Plus the foil bag in which are cables was torn.

Do you think that the damage to the net can have an effect on the sound? I was waiting more then two months for LCD-5 and if I was to return them I would have to wait probably next 2-3 months for new pair. Or maybe Audeze could send me new pair of pads and headband? @KMann

APHlOS.jpg
Please contact support, we will get this resolved.

Dec 24, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #3,506 of 6,820
First of all I need to write that 1266 TC are with me for about a month and LCD-4 are my main cans for almost two years. I'm still trying to determine what they are and probably will be for next few months. Now, after clearing that out I must say that the day before TC delivery I got Holo May and it changed my LCD-4's the way I didn't belive that DAC can. Because of this I even prefered to listen to Audeze more then the new thing for which I was waiting three months. It was creazy for me how magical, intimate, natural and real the Four's are with May. I gave some time for TC too though.

They are different because of soundstage scale. Bass is different, more opened (probably due to bigger soundstage), reminds me a speaker setup. Some details in the tracks pop more. Yet recessed mids can make some tracks not good (like Nine Inch Nails Hurt, Queen's Who Wants to Live Forever, Adel's Skyfall) - vocals are too far away. In the end I think that without the comparison they are really good headphones, but not for all. I would say that LCD-4's are like cameral, intimate concert in a small club with great acoustics. 1266 are like a concert in a big hall.

When I tried to compare them directly to LCD-4 (which is not easy because of TC specific placement on head) this is where the problem started. Bass seems to me that is on similar level, just that both headphones serve it differently. TC's soundstage is bigger, but because of that I feel that details in sounds are harder to notice (they are there but far from you). I belive that because of that, what May brings to the table is more clear on Audeze then Abyss. Also instrument placement seems similar. I've made some test with DMS Abyss tests and LCD-4 were maybe even a bit more precised. Generaly both headphones are different jet I felt that they are in the same league. But one of them is overpriced (especially now after Abyss rised the prices). If you have LCD-4 I would recomend something more like Susvara probably. Abyss will give you bigger soundstage, and a bit different take on bass. If you had Susvaras (or maybe LCD-5's?) then you could pick from both of them. Maybe I would give a little node to TC (because of different presentation in midrange).

As I said I'll be still evaluating the TC's. They are one of a kind, that's for sure. For good and for bad. I have some thoughts about the company that may damage my jugement too.
Thank you for the insights. You've given me some things to think about for sure. I'm going to have to look into that DAC. I've been very happy with my 2Qute, but if something affordable sounds better...I don't mind making a move.

edit: oh, not affordable. lol!

Dec 24, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #3,507 of 6,820
Dave into 14ohms is more like a 2,5 watts.
There is the power table that Rob shared regarding power output for the Dave.
1640327812639.png

I'm still waiting for my demo of lcd 5 at my dealer. My finger is on a trigger ready to fire....
Just need to audition them first.
Hadn’t seen that before. Interesting!

Dec 25, 2021 at 2:44 AM Post #3,508 of 6,820
Thank you for the insights. You've given me some things to think about for sure. I'm going to have to look into that DAC. I've been very happy with my 2Qute, but if something affordable sounds better...I don't mind making a move.

edit: oh, not affordable. lol!
I think that you could look into some cheaper R2R DAC, like Denafrips Ares II or Musician Audio Pegasus. I presume that some of the advantages that May has comes from R2R technology.

Dec 25, 2021 at 3:36 AM Post #3,509 of 6,820
I think that you could look into some cheaper R2R DAC, like Denafrips Ares II or Musician Audio Pegasus. I presume that some of the advantages that May has comes from R2R technology.
+1, I got the pegasus semi-recently and it is quite great when paired with the Cayin IHA-6--very enveloping sound in this combination.

Dec 26, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #3,510 of 6,820
Finally ordered an LCD-5, I could only hold out so long - being a longtime Audeze fanboy - I get it from B&H on Tuesday. I’m glad that reports are that it sounds great out of the Chord Dave, as I’ve wanted a flagship level headphone that could be powered optimally from Dave direct, and not a fan of the Utopia, or any highly efficient flagships (at least that I’ve tried, and I haven’t listened to anything in the ZMF line). I love Mr Speakers / DCA, but I couldn’t rationalize getting a closed back when I don’t need it - and already have the Ether C Flow 1.1 upstairs. Maybe some day I’ll upgrade that.

I also plan on trying them with the Enleum 23r and Woo Wa33 Elite with various tubes.

I also can’t imagine getting rid of my LCD-4, as I always have had a soft spot for that headphone and I think it’s the best looking headphone out there (I have the Bubinga wood, and am a sucker for the chrome grills). It will have to be almost entirely duplicative but better for me to consider it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back