Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Dec 28, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #3,557 of 6,820
I bet everything is fine with LCD-5.
It's just his previous headphones are not so revealing.
Yeah it definitely sounded fine , i meant bass resonances on some recordings (don’t have those handy) ,that seemed exacerbated by the bass boost on the eq as well. The lcd-5 are much more revealing than the Elites.

Dec 28, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #3,558 of 6,820
The-Czars Angel Eyes - 3:14 - guitar in right channel has artifacts on both Tidal and Qobuz.
Same on Apple Music lossless - although as a former guitar player those may be string sounds, not recording artifacts. Point in case: Czars - Where the Boys Are - same type of "noise" at the beginning and throughout the song. The guitar sounds like the one my guitar teacher in school used to keep around as an emergency instrument for students who were not able to bring their own - I am not very fond of its sonics ...

Dec 28, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #3,559 of 6,820
Just received my LCD 5s and initial impressions are quite positive, but…

The clamping force is just too much for me. I have never found a headphone uncomfortable (outside of getting used to CIEMs) and I have the Abyss, LCD 4 and the SINE. The SINE clamps, but as it’s on ear it’s less bothersome for some reason - which is strange.

I am going to get the other headband, but with pad/ headband break in - and just getting used to them - do they get a little better? I don’t have a particularly big head.

Dec 28, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #3,560 of 6,820

The clamping force is just too much for me. I have never found a headphone uncomfortable (outside of getting used to CIEMs) and I have the Abyss, LCD 4 and the SINE. The SINE clamps, but as it’s on ear it’s less bothersome for some reason - which is strange.

I am going to get the other headband, but with pad/ headband break in - and just getting used to them - do they get a little better? I don’t have a particularly big head.
The LCD-5 does get more comfortable over time, whether it's because the pads wear a bit or you get accustomed to the clamp force. However, with glasses, I always struggled with them pushing the arms against my skull.

I swapped to the new headband yesterday, and it really improves the comfort significantly for me. They don't fit as snugly, but I have not experienced any loss of bass due to the decreased clamp force.

Dec 28, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #3,561 of 6,820

they do get more comfy over time. Can attest.

Dec 28, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #3,562 of 6,820
+1

Dec 28, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #3,563 of 6,820
@Slim1970 Are these just hyper-revealing or is my pair broken? since straight out of Dave i can hear tons of artifacts in songs. For example The-Czars Angel Eyes sounds like a clipping fest to me. With and without @Resolve 's EQ. Same with Band of Horses- The Funeral , you can hear clicks and pops, but no apparent distortion. Both on Qobuz.
Sorry if I am misinterpreting, but have you enabled headroom management on Roon and lowered the dB to compensate for any EQs? I had artifacts and even boominess initially which went away after addressing the clipping.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #3,564 of 6,820
The LCD-5 does get more comfortable over time, whether it's because the pads wear a bit or you get accustomed to the clamp force. However, with glasses, I always struggled with them pushing the arms against my skull.

I swapped to the new headband yesterday, and it really improves the comfort significantly for me. They don't fit as snugly, but I have not experienced any loss of bass due to the decreased clamp force.
Well put, exact same experience for me really. I do think it may be the pads settling rather than the band clamping less, but it does give a little more with time.

USPS has been moving my new headband around LA since before Christmas, once they sort themselves out and get them on a plane to Europe I should have them fairly quickly.

For anyone struggling with clamp, reach out to Audeze. They are great to deal with.

Dec 28, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #3,565 of 6,820
Yeah it definitely sounded fine , i meant bass resonances on some recordings (don’t have those handy) ,that seemed exacerbated by the bass boost on the eq as well. The lcd-5 are much more revealing than the Elites.
Outta curiosity, what happens when you go back to your Z1R?

I've had the hardest time selling my Z1R because every time I go back and listen to them, I'm like "why would you ever sell this..?" lol. Obviously, they aren't as technically proficient as the LCD-5, but in terms of musicality, there's just something interesting with them.

Dec 28, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #3,566 of 6,820
Well put, exact same experience for me really. I do think it may be the pads settling rather than the band clamping less, but it does give a little more with time.

USPS has been moving my new headband around LA since before Christmas, once they sort themselves out and get them on a plane to Europe I should have them fairly quickly.

For anyone struggling with clamp, reach out to Audeze. They are great to deal with.
I’m sort of in Europe, cough, the UK. When you contacted Audeze support did they put a condition on sending the new headband to you that you had to post a review and send the link to the review first because the current ones are prototypes (or alternatively wait until production models came through at some future point)? Asking for a friend.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #3,567 of 6,820
I was told that on first reply. The next day I got another reply that the headband would be shipped shortly with no expectations. It is all good.

Dec 28, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #3,568 of 6,820
I’m sort of in Europe, cough, the UK. When you contacted Audeze support did they put a condition on sending the new headband to you that you had to post a review and send the link to the review first because the current ones are prototypes (or alternatively wait until production models came through at some future point)? Asking for a friend.
Same as @pippen99 they first asked for a review after testing it, then came back saying they were out of prototype phase now and sent it without conditions.

Dec 28, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #3,569 of 6,820
New LCD-5 owner in the house !!!!!!!

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #3,570 of 6,820
Same as @pippen99 they first asked for a review after testing it, then came back saying they were out of prototype phase now and sent it without conditions.
Thanks, curious that someone in Audezze support nonetheless told my, er, friend otherwise just this Monday

Users who are viewing this thread

Back