Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Sep 4, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #5,776 of 6,805
Have you tried the Audeze Reveal+ plugin? The convolution files have been released and can be applied in Roon, HQPlayer etc. It’s a much more dramatic improvement over any PEQ I’ve tried (as there are other things such as phase correction happening with the convolution filter)
I use Roon- that is my main source for listening. I thought that hardware EQ would be better. In any case I did not buy the Reveal plug-in. I’ll do a search for the convolution filter.
I looked for an LCD- 5 profile in Roon and didn’t see one available. I appreciate your input and will check it out.

Sep 4, 2022 at 7:16 PM Post #5,777 of 6,805
I use Roon- that is my main source for listening. I thought that hardware EQ would be better. In any case I did not buy the Reveal plug-in. I’ll do a search for the convolution filter.
I looked for an LCD- 5 profile in Roon and didn’t see one available. I appreciate your input and will check it out.

It’s free. Roon hasn’t updated their software to include it but it’s been handed over to them for a future release. KMann released them here if you do a search. If you can’t find them DM me and I’ll grab you link to the thread. (convolution filters are better than parametric EQ regardless of software vs hardware)

Sep 4, 2022 at 8:44 PM Post #5,779 of 6,805
The RME DAC is fine, but the headphone amp is lacking (it's not a power thing, it just doesn't do as good as stand alone amps). In reality, the RME Adi 2 FS actually measured better than the pro. There's no reason to get the pro unless you are actually recording with it.

That being said, do yourself a favor and get a better amp; the DAC is great and I use it as my daily driver. I use the balanced out of the RME into a Ferum OOR and a NC400 mono block.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #5,780 of 6,805
The RME DAC is fine, but the headphone amp is lacking (it's not a power thing, it just doesn't do as good as stand alone amps). In reality, the RME Adi 2 FS actually measured better than the pro. There's no reason to get the pro unless you are actually recording with it.

That being said, do yourself a favor and get a better amp; the DAC is great and I use it as my daily driver. I use the balanced out of the RME into a Ferum OOR and a NC400 mono block.
Amazing amps but isn’t that a bit of overkill for the LCD-5? I would have thought that something like a GS-X mini or violectric would be more than sufficient to allow the LCD-5 to shine.

Sep 4, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #5,781 of 6,805
Amazing amps but isn’t that a bit of overkill for the LCD-5? I would have thought that something like a GS-X mini or violectric would be more than sufficient to allow the LCD-5 to shine.
Not at all! The LCD-5 might be very low impedance, but it's not very sensitive.

I got the Ferum to use with my Susvara, and ended up liking how the LCD-5 sounded on it over my other amps.

Now I'm actually using my NC400 mono blocks with the HE adapter for the LCD-5, and it sounds amazing. The image is more focused than the Ferum, and the stage is sightly wider and more spacious.

So yeah, the LCD-5 scales with the amp (not necessarily power wise, the mono blocks measure insanely accurately so that's probably the majority of it's strengths over the Ferum).

Sep 4, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #5,782 of 6,805
Not at all! The LCD-5 might be very low impedance, but it's not very sensitive.

I got the Ferum to use with my Susvara, and ended up liking how the LCD-5 sounded on it over my other amps.

Now I'm actually using my NC400 mono blocks with the HE adapter for the LCD-5, and it sounds amazing. The image is more focused than the Ferum, and the stage is sightly wider and more spacious.

So yeah, the LCD-5 scales with the amp (not necessarily power wise, the mono blocks measure insanely accurately so that's probably the majority of it's strengths over the Ferum).
I guess I was only trying to make the point that the guy who asked about improving the sound of his LCD-5s would likely see dramatic SQ improvement with gear a lot less expensive than yours. Not to say it can’t always get even better.

Sep 4, 2022 at 9:30 PM Post #5,783 of 6,805
I guess I was only trying to make the point that the guy who asked about improving the sound of his LCD-5s would likely see dramatic SQ improvement with gear a lot less expensive than yours. Not to say it can’t always get even better.
Oh, my bad. Yes, even an A90 would be a vast improvement over the RME, from my experience. But the mono blocks I have cost $900 total, so it's not a completely out of the ballpark option :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2022 at 7:50 AM Post #5,784 of 6,805
It’s free. Roon hasn’t updated their software to include it but it’s been handed over to them for a future release. KMann released them here if you do a search. If you can’t find them DM me and I’ll grab you link to the thread. (convolution filters are better than parametric EQ regardless of software vs hardware)
Actually, it's in the latest update.

Attachments

• Skärmavbild 2022-09-09 kl. 13.50.19.png
    Skärmavbild 2022-09-09 kl. 13.50.19.png
    418.6 KB · Views: 0
Sep 9, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #5,785 of 6,805
Has anyone tried matching the LCD-5 to an OTL amp like the Feliks Euforia? I know OTL’s aren’t supposed to be a good match with low-impedance planars but I just saw a review claiming it was a great pairing. I’m somewhat skeptical…

Sep 10, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #5,786 of 6,805
From ownership experience, could not disagree more with either of these two statements. Falls apart?? Sounds like an LCD-4??

Maybe I have to go out and get my ears cleaned.
Lol, I'm still laughing at that post he shared. :p

Sep 11, 2022 at 6:48 AM Post #5,788 of 6,805
Has anyone tried matching the LCD-5 to an OTL amp like the Feliks Euforia? I know OTL’s aren’t supposed to be a good match with low-impedance planars but I just saw a review claiming it was a great pairing. I’m somewhat skeptical…
I have tried this combo (euforia ae) and it was great up to 85db then the low end started to loosen up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back