Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Aug 26, 2023 at 11:14 PM Post #6,571 of 6,820
People are getting hysterical instead of waiting for the details to emerge and it’s hilariously predictable.
First time here?

Sep 1, 2023 at 8:35 PM Post #6,573 of 6,820
Here are the two EQ profiles I use for the LCD-5, one set in 44.1 and the other in 192. One is a custom EQ based off of gras measurements, and the other is based off of the BK 5128 rig. You can load them into EQ APO as a convolution filter. Be sure to make sure your system sample rate matches the sample rate of the filter or it won't work.

Each filter uses linear phase for the upper frequencies, and minimum phase for the lower frequencies in order to avoid pre-ring.

I personally like using the BK5128 filter for classic rock, jaz, and oldies, while the gras filter sounds more energetic for pop and rock. Try it out and let me know what you think!

Attachments

• impulselcd5.zip
    22.7 KB · Views: 0
  • impulselcd52441192.zip
    19.4 KB · Views: 0
Sep 11, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #6,574 of 6,820
Here are the two EQ profiles I use for the LCD-5, one set in 44.1 and the other in 192. One is a custom EQ based off of gras measurements, and the other is based off of the BK 5128 rig. You can load them into EQ APO as a convolution filter. Be sure to make sure your system sample rate matches the sample rate of the filter or it won't work.

Each filter uses linear phase for the upper frequencies, and minimum phase for the lower frequencies in order to avoid pre-ring.

I personally like using the BK5128 filter for classic rock, jaz, and oldies, while the gras filter sounds more energetic for pop and rock. Try it out and let me know what you think!

I finally got around to trying these. They are great and I must commend you for the effort in exploring this field and process most aren't too experienced with including myself.

At first when I tried these they sounded off. The lows had no weight in mids and the highs were bright on the 5128 version and the Gras one was super mid pronounced. This was just through Roon and upsampled to DSD with no convo or eq.

This was a mistake and I don't know why but once I heard this I swtiched back to pcm with no upsampling using Redbook only through May's stock oversampler and NOS... there it was. Great sound. So definitely recommended. Very similar to Mitch's in tonality however I think the Gras one gave me a bit of more fatigue or it seemed that it did. Higher sub bass maybe? It could've been the stock oversampling or NOS as I never use them that way.

Anyways, I would recommend anyone try these that are not into doing things extra like I and others are with HQP.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #6,575 of 6,820
I finally got around to trying these. They are great and I must commend you for the effort in exploring this field and process most aren't too experienced with including myself.

At first when I tried these they sounded off. The lows had no weight in mids and the highs were bright on the 5125 version and the Gras one was super mid pronounced. This was just through Roon and upsampled to DSD with no convo or eq.

This was a mistake and I don't know why but once I heard this I swtiched back to pcm with no upsampling using Redbook only through May's stock oversampler and NOS... there it was. Great sound. So definitely recommended. Very similar to Mitch's in tonality however I think the Gras one gave me a bit of more fatigue or it seemed that it did. Higher sub bass maybe? It could've been the stock oversampling or NOS as I never use them that way.

Anyways, I would recommend anyone try these not doing things extra like I and others are with HQP.
I'm glad you enjoyed them! When it comes to digital filters, making sure you match the sample rate / disable other add-ons is very important; that's why I included two popular sample rates.

Also, I've got the first run of LCD-5s, which might be a bit darker than the newer models. So maybe that's partly an issue. I do have another filter that has a reduction in the 5khz region compared to this gras version filter, so maybe that one would be less fatiguing for you.

Sep 12, 2023 at 12:13 AM Post #6,576 of 6,820
@EMINENT , here are a set of modified gras filters, they should be less mid forward and slightly less fatiguing.

Attachments

• impulselcd53.zip
    22.2 KB · Views: 0
Sep 12, 2023 at 1:21 AM Post #6,577 of 6,820
I am also among the ones that got bothered by this 3-4k bump in LCD-5s... Looking at my RME ADI settings I settled mostly on -2.5 on 3.7k and +3.5 bump on 100... after that there are quite amazing headphones and fun to listen but since I needed them for my main rig (no EQ) I went back to LCD-3.

Sep 13, 2023 at 2:52 AM Post #6,578 of 6,820
Also, I've got the first run of LCD-5s, which might be a bit darker than the newer models. So maybe that's partly an issue. I do have another filter that has a reduction in the 5khz region compared to this gras version filter, so maybe that one would be less fatiguing for you.
Interesting. Would be keen to read/see how it has evolved including changes over time for the LCD-5

Sep 13, 2023 at 4:49 AM Post #6,579 of 6,820
Good morning everyone, I have just purchased an Audeze LCD 5, can you advise me how many hours of running-in do I have to carry out?
Thanks a lot!

Sep 13, 2023 at 5:37 AM Post #6,580 of 6,820
Good morning everyone, I have just purchased an Audeze LCD 5, can you advise me how many hours of running-in do I have to carry out?
Thanks a lot!
To be totally honest, this is fairly subjective and mostly depends on the individual. But this will typically be how it'll play out;

Scenario A:
You like the sound right off the bat.
After 10 hours, you still like the sound.
After 100 hours, you still like the sound.

Scenario B:
You don't really like the sound right off the bat, something feels slightly off.
After 10 hours, what you didn't like before doesn't sound as offensive any more.
After 100 hours, you're starting to like the sound and understand why the praise on these headphones.

Scenario C:
You don't really like the sound right off the bat, something feels slightly off.
After 10 hours, it still sounds off.
After 100 hours, you're still not able to accept the tonality of the headphones.

So for Scenario C, some ppl correct it by applying EQ, some don't and move on.

Thus, usually running-in is mostly attributed to brain burn-in or acceptance (not to say I don't believe in burn-in for headphones but rather it's role in the grand scheme of things would seem rather small).

Sep 13, 2023 at 6:11 AM Post #6,581 of 6,820
To be totally honest, this is fairly subjective and mostly depends on the individual. But this will typically be how it'll play out;

Scenario A:
You like the sound right off the bat.
After 10 hours, you still like the sound.
After 100 hours, you still like the sound.

Scenario B:
After 10 hours, what you didn't like before doesn't sound as offensive any more.
After 100 hours, you're starting to like the sound and understand why the praise on these headphones.

Scenario C:
After 10 hours, it still sounds off.
After 100 hours, you're still not able to accept the tonality of the headphones.

So for Scenario C, some ppl correct it by applying EQ, some don't and move on.

Thus, usually running-in is mostly attributed to brain burn-in or acceptance (not to say I don't believe in burn-in for headphones but rather it's role in the grand scheme of things would seem rather small).
Hi, thanks for replying, I plan to move towards scenario B after 10 hours of running-in, the headphones are already starting to sound better. I expect to reach around 80-100 hours and then start using them. I have the possibility to equalize them but I'll wait.

Sep 13, 2023 at 7:15 AM Post #6,582 of 6,820
Hi, thanks for replying, I plan to move towards scenario B after 10 hours of running-in, the headphones are already starting to sound better. I expect to reach around 80-100 hours and then start using them. I have the possibility to equalize them but I'll wait.
Usually you will 'feel'' it by then trying back some lower tier headphones....dt1990 sounds like a dixan can after getting used to the lcd5

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #6,583 of 6,820
The only running in you need to do is running in on your head. A new LCD-5 will have stiff pads that get softer as you wear them. As the pads get softer, they seal better, and thus the bass gets better.

There is no real burn in on most planar headphones, the manufacturer takes lots of effort tuning the driver diaphragm so it's tensioned just right. If it were to get loose over time, they would have made a failed product imo.

Sep 13, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #6,584 of 6,820
Sep 29, 2023 at 6:09 PM Post #6,585 of 6,820
Good evening everyone. Since yesterday my LCD-5s have reached an excellent sound level, the bass tones are present but more controlled than the Meze Empyrean. With both my amplifiers (T+A HA200 and Cen Grand 9i-906) they work excellently.
I'm satisfied, thanks Audeze.

P.S.My personal opinion it is not necessary to equalize

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back