Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Jul 15, 2019 at 9:14 PM Post #2,821 of 4,801
also shows you how good the lcd-4's that they are based upon are!

Jul 21, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #2,823 of 4,801
Anyone using these on a plane? I heard these over in tokyo side by side with the isine20 and isine10 and seriously fell in love, even only powered off my ES100. The entire trio is great but the i4 is so full.

I know they dont isolate (i prefer this, since i can easily press pause and talk to someone if i need to without plucking my buds out) but moreso wondering if they would likely bother the person next to me sitting in peasant coach class with me :)

I should clarify i have read previous pages of the thread, my purpose for the question is i prefer to travel as light as possible, and dont want to bring another set of cans just for the sake of being on a plane, if possible. Even the reduced SQ of these in noisy environments just jives with my ears better than other “lesser” setups.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #2,824 of 4,801
If you used then on a plane the person beside you wouldn't hear anything above the plane's noise. The other day I took off my HD800S and walked into ther kirchen. I could still hear the hd800s from the other room. So I got out my LCDi4 and put it on the same song at the same volume and i had to put my ear almost on top of them to hear anything. Isolation in that direction is pretty good. But I still. wouldn't recommend them for a plane because of the nature of plane noise. Leaking in (unless you want to listen at uncomfortable levels) When i'm on a plane I don't listen to music, just podcasts, etc and that's what I have Bose for. I never listen to music on Bose but they're the best on a plane.

Jul 21, 2019 at 11:54 PM Post #2,825 of 4,801
If you used then on a plane the person beside you wouldn't hear anything above the plane's noise. The other day I took off my HD800S and walked into ther kirchen. I could still hear the hd800s from the other room. So I got out my LCDi4 and put it on the same song at the same volume and i had to put my ear almost on top of them to hear anything. Isolation in that direction is pretty good. But I still. wouldn't recommend them for a plane because of the nature of plane noise. Leaking in (unless you want to listen at uncomfortable levels) When i'm on a plane I don't listen to music, just podcasts, etc and that's what I have Bose for. I never listen to music on Bose but they're the best on a plane.

Just to offer a counter-perspective: I think if the person next to you is sensitive, it will bother them depending on the kind of music you listen to and at what levels. If your music is something with slow attacks and transients (classical strings) it may be masked by the airplane background noise. If you listen at higher volumes with music with transient peaks at high frequencies (snare drum) it will slowly drive your sensitive neighbor mad (like a mosquito they can't swat).

It's something of a catch 22, because, if you are listening to slow moving midrange centric music at low levels, the airplane noise will mask it for other passengers--but for you you too. You will cancel out the superior SQ of the i4s. If you listen at high level to Skrillex, it will punch through the airplane noise for you and... in a few minutes a stewardess will be telling you, "Excuse me but...."

I love the i4s too, but personally, I think you and those around you, will be better off with an isolating solution.

Jul 22, 2019 at 3:42 AM Post #2,826 of 4,801
Forget about being concerned with those around you.... To listen to the i4 on an airplane and be able to actually hear it above the airplane/jet noise level you'd be doing your hearing a huge disservice and risk long term noise induced hearing damage. Be concerned about yourself... Don't do it.

Jul 22, 2019 at 4:04 AM Post #2,829 of 4,801
I agree with that. I was actually trying to say the same thing. If you're going to only buy one iem and you're going to be using that same Iem on planes, I wouldn't buy the i4. I don't even use it next to an air conditioner.

I have central air and the vents are not close by, and still, whenever it cycles on I sigh.

Jul 22, 2019 at 4:31 AM Post #2,830 of 4,801
Are closed backs advisable for flights instead? Examples being the Focal Elegia or Stellia?

Even with full-size closed-backs, you'd tend to listen at high volume levels, which is not good for your hearing. Also, given the ambient noise in the cabin, benefits you would get out of high fidelity headphones would mostly be compromised anyways. Probably best to go with an ANC HP for flight use and a headphone of your choice for home use.

Jul 22, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #2,834 of 4,801
That looks like the one. I ordered mine right from Audeze's web store.
Does the Bluetooth cable work with the Audeze EQ app?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back