Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Aug 11, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #3,961 of 4,801
I'd also really like a comparison with the shanling M8 and zx507
M8 will be here this weekend. I give it a listen next week and get back. M9 was just announced, but I'm ok with my discounted 3mo old second hand purchased m8

Aug 11, 2021 at 2:02 AM Post #3,962 of 4,801
Not just turning up volume, with increased power comes increased dynamics, Soundstage, etc. Turning up on volume know you're still limited to the amount of power you have to drive the headphones. Like doing a bench press. One guy can lift 200, the other can lift 350. They both can lift 180, but the guy with the 350 limit is gonna lift that one 180 with more speed, fluidity, smoothness, as he won't be struggling at all to do so.
In Layman's term. That's excellent 👌

Aug 11, 2021 at 2:07 AM Post #3,963 of 4,801
M8 will be here this weekend. I give it a listen next week and get back. M9 was just announced, but I'm ok with my discounted 3mo old second hand purchased m8
Opportunity to pick up some excellent used prices. As shanling said, the major update is android 10, and if the sonic upgrade remains minimal, I'm ok with skipping the M9. I'm hoping it doesn't came with global eq, because then I'll have to open my wallet...

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #3,964 of 4,801
Opportunity to pick up some excellent used prices. As shanling said, the major update is android 10, and if the sonic upgrade remains minimal, I'm ok with skipping the M9. I'm hoping it doesn't came with global eq, because then I'll have to open my wallet...
Wait, doesn't the m8 have global eq? It bypasses Android audio stack for all apps, so the eq on the m8 should be universal

Aug 11, 2021 at 4:34 AM Post #3,965 of 4,801
Wait, doesn't the m8 have global eq? It bypasses Android audio stack for all apps, so the eq on the m8 should be universal
I'm not sure if it does or not. I was hoping it does cause it would be an excellent upgrade contender, but I was hoping it wasn't for my wallet sake. So are you confirming it does have a global EQ? The 507 sony does, which is why I have kept with it. Plus it does sound pretty magical.

Aug 11, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #3,966 of 4,801
I'm not sure if it does or not. I was hoping it does cause it would be an excellent upgrade contender, but I was hoping it wasn't for my wallet sake. So are you confirming it does have a global EQ? The 507 sony does, which is why I have kept with it. Plus it does sound pretty magical.
I can't for certain, but the fact that the m8, unlike our zx507, bypasses android audio and sends all audio through the shanling audio drivers should mean that audio from all apps are affected by the system eq just like fiio, or hiby, etc. Honestly I believe all the current Android DAPs have eq that work through all audio apps. I'm excited to get that warm detail from my m8 when it shows up on Friday. CA Solaris will probably be the first pairing I try. Too bad I work all weekend though. Not much time to listen working 12hr shifts Friday through Sunday

Aug 12, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #3,967 of 4,801
Have to give another prop to SoundSource system wide EQ. Don't know how I missed it, but it works with the Audeze Reveal plugin! 85% wet and -2 dB gain for me. My portable system is now M1 MacBook Air with Apple Music lossless. Hmmmm, now with system wide EQ so many choices of DAC/Amp. iDSD Signature is pretty good though, but interested in trying with an H2 if I can find a good deal on one.

Aug 12, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #3,968 of 4,801
I find the lcdi4's can be anything you want with the eq.

Aug 12, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #3,969 of 4,801
I don't suppose there exists a DAP which features system wide PEQ? Trying to figure out if there is a DAP that supports Apple Music with PEQ. Although for portable, iPhone and Cipher cable is pretty good. I am more interested in using the same cable for both desktop and portable to save on the wear of the pins/sockets.

Aug 13, 2021 at 1:50 AM Post #3,970 of 4,801
Is Apple music able to be played on Google play? Or that side load function APX thingy that people do? Hoping someone can clarify that.

Aug 13, 2021 at 4:43 AM Post #3,972 of 4,801
Well, how dare I use google on a firefox browser..

Aug 13, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #3,973 of 4,801
I'm still waiting on the new version of the Reveal plugin that will allow use of the headphone presets after expiration. In the meanwhile, I wanted to report on the filter settings for the presets. (I use Reveal in my pre-processing remastering phase so it took a while to get through large swathes of my library.)

The linear phase filters were not available prior to Reveal 2.0, because they caused stuttering. Now that is addressed, I feel that the LP filters are something of a "must." The "high quality" LP is the most processor intensive. However, in trade, you get a quality of DSP that is much clearer, more detailed and liquid than the stock minimum phase version. The MP is hazier and granular in comparison.

If you haven't checked out the Reveal plugin, or if you've been using it with MP, give the LP filters a spin.

Aug 14, 2021 at 5:09 AM Post #3,975 of 4,801
I got the Noteburner software to solve my Apple Music problems....
I'd have thought those files were encrypted to avoid that. Does that mean I can rip my tidal library and play locally?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back