Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Dec 6, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #3,091 of 4,796
My i4s sound great coming from an iFi Micro BL connected to my laptop using Qobuz. It's my go-to alterntive to my 1266s.

Life is good.

:L3000::L3000::L3000:

Dec 6, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #3,093 of 4,796
If your challenge is that the ear hooks or ear fins are uncomfortable, one thing you could try is to use different tips from the stock audeze tips. I have always had good luck with comfort using the old earlocks and now ear fins, but others have found they were able to use foam tips (or symbio tips) and do away with the ear hooks/locks/fins altogether.

If your issue is that the ribbed stock tips are irritating your canals (another common issue), I and others have found that with use, these become comfortable. My guess is that this is due to changes to the material (e.g. oils from skin smoothing rough edges of the ribs), but fwiw whenever I have started to use new ribbed tips, they always cause a little irritation the first few uses but then become very comfortable.

Not trying to second guess you (I know you have lots of experience with many iems), but just trying to provide helpful suggestions if you are selling purely due to fit issues since it seems like you like how they sound.

for myself, all stock tips are no good. using cheap silicone tips costing maybe less than 2 dimes or jvc spiral dots.

Dec 6, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #3,094 of 4,796
Dec 6, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #3,095 of 4,796
for myself, all stock tips are no good. using cheap silicone tips costing maybe less than 2 dimes or jvc spiral dots.
Assuming the ear fins or ear hooks work for you, generally with the i4s you are looking less for a full on seal like you need with traditional closed iems and more for the tips to block the opening of your ear. For me, it’s almost like the tip is there to fill up space between the sound tube and the opening of your ear canal (almost as if the tip is filling the space around the ear tube of the i4 well enough to block anything from getting out around the outside of ear tube of the i4, but not in so far as you might need to get the kind of seal that prevents outside sound from getting in). hopefully that makes some sense

Dec 6, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #3,096 of 4,796
Assuming the ear fins or ear hooks work for you, generally with the i4s you are looking less for a full on seal like you need with traditional closed iems and more for the tips to block the opening of your ear. For me, it’s almost like the tip is there to fill up space between the sound tube and the opening of your ear canal (almost as if the tip is filling the space around the ear tube of the i4 well enough to block anything from getting out around the outside of ear tube of the i4, but not in so far as you might need to get the kind of seal that prevents outside sound from getting in). hopefully that makes some sense
exactly.

Dec 7, 2019 at 1:44 AM Post #3,097 of 4,796
its very possible that fedex lost my lcd-i4 package..they updated the tracking when the package was picked up and nothing after that..
FedEx website has been a huge PITA for me, too.
Was never able to Manage Delivery to have it held up at my close by location, like I always do.
Missed delivery twice and they finally delivered the 3rd time, at 9:30PM...

Dec 7, 2019 at 3:23 AM Post #3,098 of 4,796
what's 1266s?

A crazy Frankenstein of a monster put on your head. Linus Tech Tips just made a really casual video on it, since the company sent him to sample it. If you are curious. It is a planar driver headphone.

Dec 9, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #3,100 of 4,796
Got my LCD i4 B- stock today it has the fins and everything else as advertised , packing is good but obviously B-Stock , first impressions sounds more like my Isine 20 which is a B stock purchase from last years November sale except this (LCD i4 )has a bigger soundstage , openness and more air, I am putting my Isine 20 for sale on Audio Circle and audio mart soon as I don't need both the Isine 20 & the LCD i4 my isine 20 will come with everything original including the box anyone interested PM for the price

I first thought the same - LCDi4 sounded a lot like the iSine 20 with the Cipher cable. When I then used it with a headphone amp (Mojo or THX 789) with the Reveal plugin there was a world of difference. With that setup it sounded like a top of the line over ear headphone. It was amazing.
I'll continue to post my impressions with he Cipher as I listen more.

Dec 10, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #3,102 of 4,796
My lcd-i4 finally shipped from the Black Friday sale. Hopefully I can report back on Friday with some impressions. Anyone run them balanced?
Sometimes I listen to them on the balance output of SP1000Cu+Amp with an Effect Audio Lionheart.
It sounds ok..
..but I prefer the pairing with Hugo 2.

Dec 10, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #3,103 of 4,796
Picked up the LCDi4 from a headfier who received the deal from BF sale and passed it onto me.

first few hours of listening on cipher cable/iphone = WOW

Dec 10, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #3,104 of 4,796
My lcd-i4 finally shipped from the Black Friday sale. Hopefully I can report back on Friday with some impressions. Anyone run them balanced?
I run them with a balanced Thor II 8 wire out of my XI audio Formula S and it sounds amazing. Seriously.

Dec 11, 2019 at 1:14 AM Post #3,105 of 4,796
Man, I'm tickled pink on how well the LCDi4 sounds. I went for the Belkin $30 Lightning/USB-C adapter plug instead of the Anker cable as I didn't want to extend the overall length of the Cipher cable to my S9. Not sure if I want to cover the Apple white color with black heat shrink. All in all, this is the best damn $1K I've spent in this crazy hobby. Walking my dog has never been such a glorious experience. Thinking about getting another backup Cipher cable. I'm very impressed by the DSP and amplification with the Cipher. I can go only as high as 10 or 12 out of 100 in Neutron. Looks like I saved myself another grand or two by foregoing a mid-hi DAP or a Chord.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back