Audeze LCD-X
May 15, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #4,082 of 12,748
why do you have a fire hose connected to your LCD-X? that can't be all conductor? Is it just bling or does it have practical purpose?

This are diy power cable , the goal is to elimination the eddy current magnet , this is not only fire hose , my diy friend has fluid shielding material for the power cable and balance 3 Pin / XLR cable .
The result more clean and quiet background noise .
Normally I use for my home use

May 17, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #4,085 of 12,748
Tomight i have tried AK 240 as source For LCD X

Source : AK 240
Amp : Mass Ko Bo 394 full balance amp
Headphone : LCD X
Cable : SAA Endorphin 3 PIN balance
Centrance rca to 6,3 mm plug plus 6,3 mm to mini plug adapter
Gain Setting : Low
Volume : at 11 -12 O clock

My impression :
High : very detail and very clean High With excellent presence
Mid : very sweet and Clear and clean mid
Bass : very Good bass impact , very Good bass detail With very clean Low extension
Separation : very Good separation
Soundstage : very Wide and very Good Depth
Black background : very quiet black background

Overall :
LCD X sound so incredible With This set Up , This set Up has very Good Synergy With LCD X

IMO

May 17, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #4,086 of 12,748
All of you are correct. The weight is a problem for a few. Most of us get used to a headphone that clamps such that much of the weight is alleviated over the large clamping surface. The LCD-X I believe is more neutral than the LCD-3, there is preference playing here. I like the more lively sound of the X myself with the Hugo, which is the most detailed and densely info-packed DAC I've heard to date - yes, including those costing multiples the Chord's price. We are speaking about a match made in heaven (a horrid cliche to be sure, but nevertheless, true.) The Hugo is jawdropping and its built-in amp is as good as any amp gets. Yes, the price is high. One can ask, high against what? We are speaking of a far more advanced processing engine than DACs using off the shelf chips and the results are easily audible. The improvement with these two components combined is such that one finds oneself between expressing expletives and wonder. BTW, someone mentioned Fidelia software. It is one of, if not the best sounding player, especially with its FHX headphone module. Remember to not fear the three parametric EQs supplied in Fidelia you can use (and spread the bands octave-wide for best results.) Cook to taste, but first consider Tyll Hertsens' comments as to the area in need of EQ for the X. Tyll happens to be precise in identifying those areas and once the adjustments are made correctly, cosmic experience awaits the listener.

May 17, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #4,087 of 12,748
Originally Posted by groovyd 

small tip to LCD owners that I just recognized myself...

when you put the headphones down on the desk (neoprene mat in my case), in their normal earpad rotation they balance to where the miniXLR cables are against the desk and the headband floats up.  if you instead rotate the ear cups toward each other (rotate the thick back sides of the earpads together instead of the thin front sides)  then they balance with the headband down and the cable up reducing strain on the cable entering the miniXLR.

----------------------------------

May I suggest in all seriousness that you not put them down ever, just sleep with them? :)

Showering with them can be a problem, but then that's what shower caps were invented for!

May 17, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #4,088 of 12,748
Originally Posted by Audiolic 

Since they removed my post..

LCD3 and LCD-X at 600g (nearly 3 time weight my esp-950) is overpriced and overweight..

hope hifiman and oppo beat audeze to the punch until they come back to their senses and stop selling overprice heavy headphones from their customers.

-----------------------------------------------

All good high end products are arguably overpriced (with very few exceptions.) They are not mass market products. And arguably many of them are so overpriced, that their performance v. price indeed doesn't merit the cost. That is not the case with what I say next.

Sansui doesn't make LCD-3s for $300 because if they could, they would. Teac doesn't make Chord HUGOs for $500, because if they could they would. Is $2400 too much for a portable DAC like a Hugo or a can like the LCD-X? Yes, if one compares these with lesser headphones with far lesser performance and much inferior DACs costing $400-1400 - even one other make costing $2400. A DAC such as Hugo is probably highly profitable (has high margins) with fewer sales. Eventually I expect such products to come down in price. Before they do however, you will have to pay up because you can't come close to the performance of this class of goods with other brands. Just my opinion, but I do own many of the other brands.

May 18, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #4,090 of 12,748
A discussion on the T1 thread regarding the durability of the T1 vs LCD-X led me to wonder what is the expected lifespan of a planar headphone?  Curious if the fact that the circuit is etched onto the flexing membrane eventually causes fatigue failure of the circuit.  Surely the membrane stretches as it vibrates.  Is the conductor flexible as well and after how many vibrations does it start to crack eventually increasing the resistance of the driver or ultimately causing an open circuit assuming all metals fatigue eventually?

Seems like a great application for graphene it being of all things flexible, strong, lightweight and very conductive.

May 18, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #4,091 of 12,748
whichever conductor is used for the traces, i'm sure it's malleable enough not to cause breakage, and peak to peak motion is 1.5 mm so... and those synthetic materials used for the membrane have like 1M years lifespan

both have longer durability than one could possibly listen to them, one because of comfort, the other because of the treble peaks 
tongue_smile.gif

so everybody just get yourself a th-900
wink_face.gif

May 18, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #4,092 of 12,748

A discussion on the T1 thread regarding the durability of the T1 vs LCD-X led me to wonder what is the expected lifespan of a planar headphone?  Curious if the fact that the circuit is etched onto the flexing membrane eventually causes fatigue failure of the circuit.  Surely the membrane stretches as it vibrates.  Is the conductor flexible as well and after how many vibrations does it start to crack eventually increasing the resistance of the driver or ultimately causing an open circuit assuming all metals fatigue eventually?

Seems like a great application for graphene it being of all things flexible, strong, lightweight and very conductive.

I have seen Magnepan speakers last decades as long as they are not abused. Yes eventually the drivers need to be replaced but it does take quite a long while. Dynamic drivers have some sort of surround or flexible material at the edges to allow the cone to move and replacing the surrounds due to drying and cracking is not unusual if you keep them a long time. I can't speak from direct experience with headphones but what I've seen from loudspeakers wouldn't make me worry about it.

May 19, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #4,093 of 12,748
T 1 beyerdynamic,they still making headphones,not exactly rocking the world,it's like going into a boxing ring and accepting defeat before the bell dings for round 1,if your not the best at what you do then why bother.I suppose it's about keeping ppl in jobs and we can't all afford the best so beyerdynamic will have to do

May 20, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #4,095 of 12,748
T 1 beyerdynamic,they still making headphones,not exactly rocking the world,it's like going into a boxing ring and accepting defeat before the bell dings for round 1,if your not the best at what you do then why bother.I suppose it's about keeping ppl in jobs and we can't all afford the best so beyerdynamic will have to do

-That's a bit harsh, don't you think? BeyerDynamic makes some seriously capable headphones, the T1 being probably the most impressive dynamic headphone I've ever put over my ears.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess - to some, BeyerDynamic probably is the best there is. (Oh, and very few companies stay in business just to be the very best at what they do; they are in business to make money; as long as they do that, it is 'mission accomplished'... :))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back