Audeze LCD-X
Jul 10, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #9,436 of 12,748
Anyone here using the RWAK240 (Red Wine Audio Mod for AK 240) to drive your LCD-X? I have a pair of LCD-X coming in soon, and am a little worried I won't be getting the most out of the headphones. I need a portable/transportable amp since I move in a couple of countries on a quarterly basis. I'll be using the LCD-X with my laptop, so I dont think the RWAK240 will cut it anymore as a USB DAC/AMP, at least not enough to do the LCD-X justice.

I've read half of the thread, and so far, a lot of love to Schiit, and similar brands. Many great recommendations if I had just one stable home.

My candidates so far for the LCD-X:
1. Woo Audio WA8 - great looking, tube sound, can be used as a dac/amp combo with laptop.
2. ALO Continental Dual Mono - more portable than the WA8 but subpar dac when used with laptop. Portable tube sound on the go w RWAK240.
3. Bakoon HPA-01M Portable Amp - supposedly the best amp out there for the LCD-X or planar headphones. Cant quite be used with my Shure se846 on the go (too sensitive). Also will still have to rely on RWAK240 usb dac for laptop. Perfect combo w RWAK240 on lounging at home on my day beds or sofas.
4. ALO Audio Continental V5 - most portable, but sound quality affected when charging while in use w laptop. Also still dependent on RWAK240 as usb dac.

Any other ideas on best combo for my setup? Very much looking forward to receiving the LCD-X.

Jul 10, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #9,438 of 12,748
Really? You'd take the mojo over the wa8, and alo cdm? I suppose the hugo or mojo might serve my occasional needs for berlin techno/deep house.. it's just that, forgive me for saying it, I dont think I could live with the aesthetics... I suppose it's either a love it or hate it look

Jul 10, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #9,439 of 12,748
Really? You'd take the mojo over the wa8, and alo cdm? I suppose the hugo or mojo might serve my occasional needs for berlin techno/deep house.. it's just that, forgive me for saying it, I dont think I could live with the aesthetics... I suppose it's either a love it or hate it look
Well, up to you. But, this is music, not what looks ... pretty.

Jul 10, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #9,440 of 12,748

I mean I can't say I can compare it to all the rest, but the Mojo serves me really well and it's incredibly portable. The Deckard sounds better, but it's a huge-ass desktop rig.

Jul 10, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #9,441 of 12,748
Which would you take to drive the X's - Deckard for $700 (new), or Auralic Taurus Mk2 for $800 (excellent used)?

Jul 11, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #9,442 of 12,748
Which would you take to drive the X's - Deckard for $700 (new), or Auralic Taurus Mk2 for $800 (excellent used)?

Not having heard the Taurus... I'd take the Taurus. It's more powerful, and you can run it balanced. The LCD-X, IMO, benefits from a colorless amp since it has a warm tilt to begin with, and going by Tyll's review this thing is transparent as it gets.

Plus, it's a nearly $2k amp for $800. You are not gonna top that. Get the Taurus.

Jul 11, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #9,443 of 12,748
Not having heard the Taurus... I'd take the Taurus. It's more powerful, and you can run it balanced. The LCD-X, IMO, benefits from a colorless amp since it has a warm tilt to begin with, and going by Tyll's review this thing is transparent as it gets.

Plus, it's a nearly $2k amp for $800. You are not gonna top that. Get the Taurus.

I think so too. I'm leaning toward the Taurus, even though the Deckard includes a DAC. My Violectric V200 is now up for sale in the classifieds.

Jul 11, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #9,444 of 12,748

Taurus MKII user here. I haven't heard the Deckard, but rest assured the X is driven very well by the Taurus which is known for detail level, power and neutrality. Can't go wrong with it.

Jul 11, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #9,445 of 12,748
I think so too. I'm leaning toward the Taurus, even though the Deckard includes a DAC. My Violectric V200 is now up for sale in the classifieds.

Well here's a big part of the equation: how close to endgame is the X for you?

It's worth mentioning that the Deckard is literally tuned specifically for the X (like how the King is for the LCD-4). I think they're a damn near flawless pair for the X specifically. My recommendation of the Taurus is also largely because it gives you a lot of headroom. And if needing to get a separate DAC is a budgetary concern, I'd stick with the Deckard.

Jul 12, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #9,446 of 12,748
Endgame with the X? I don't know yet. Probably not, though they are so damn good that it's going to be quite a while before I get the itch to upgrade. I'm in love with these cans.

The amp question is moot now...I scored the Taurus. Looks-wise, it's much more to my liking than the Deckard, and I like the balanced HP jack. It's a former WoF amp too. Although the LCD-X might not be end-game, this amp certainly could be.

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #9,447 of 12,748
Endgame with the X? I don't know yet. Probably not, though they are so damn good that it's going to be quite a while before I get the itch to upgrade. I'm in love with these cans.

The amp question is moot now...I scored the Taurus. Looks-wise, it's much more to my liking than the Deckard, and I like the balanced HP jack. It's a former WoF amp too. Although the LCD-X might not be end-game, this amp certainly could be.

Mmmhm. That's the thing. Taurus could be the last amp you ever buy, and if you ever boost up into higher realms with the HPs then it'll power everything. Slap a Gumby or something on it for a DAC and you're set for life.

Jul 18, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #9,450 of 12,748
Question: how does the X sound with poorly recorded music? I have a pretty extensive collection of ripped Jazz, some from the 40's, 50's and 60's. Great music but not engineered or recorded to today's standards.

Well recorded music sounds great on high end equipment (430HAD and Elears). How about less than optimum recordings? Are the X's somewhat forgiving?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back