Audeze MM-100
Oct 11, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #1,216 of 1,452
I used my replacement MM-100 (mine were wired incorrectly) the last 2 days (yesterday and the day before). and I am very pleased with them for sure -- it was my first extended listening time with them and I even briefly compared them a couple of times with my LCD-X (2020) and I was impressed with what $399 got me.

The only gripe I have is the adjustment head strap -- it is very flimsy and keeps coming off of the attaching screws or whatever on the right side, so if I take them off and put them on my headphone stand (on the metal, NOT the strap, of course), sometimes I will notice when I pick them up that the right side has come off track -- so I'm not a big fan of that headphone strap, it doesn't maintain integrity well and I found myself having to reseat it multiple times in the last 2 days. :sweat_smile: But, doing so is easy, so I just shrugged and would patiently do it every time it came loose.
I noticed the strap popping off for me too. I might just put washers over the screws at my preferred position so the strap stays put.

Oct 11, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #1,217 of 1,452
Here are some new measurements. The free air measurement was very close to what I posted here before, so I didn't feel a need to show it again. I think it just confuses people.

MM-100 Average Flat Plate Response.png
ATH-M50X vs MM-100 Average Flat Plate Response.png

Here's a slightly different view of the ATH-M50X curve to sorta kinda align with the MM-100 curve.

ATH-M50X vs MM-100 Average Flat Plate Response 1,6kHz.png

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #1,219 of 1,452
Thanks for the measurements.

Any other comps besides the M50x? That's a V-shaped can with flabby bass, recessed mids and a hot mess of grainy, steaming treble -- not exactly the signature the MM-100 is trying to reach. I know A-T likes to depict the M50x as a mixing headphone, but I might puke after listening to an album mixed on those cans.

Oct 11, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #1,220 of 1,452
The only gripe I have is the adjustment head strap -- it is very flimsy and keeps coming off of the attaching screws
Glad to hear you're replacement arrived. From your account of the strap not staying on and its general post-hanger design, I'd bet a good way to secure those in place would be with small thick o-rings. Just an idea, cheers.

Edit:
Only had a set on hand(some 0-gage) and thicker rings of the same size would be ideal to rest on the inner post itself, but these are fairly secure on the post-head to demo the idea.

Attachments

• 23-10-11_19-32-15-852.jpg
    23-10-11_19-32-15-852.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 11, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #1,221 of 1,452
Yeah, that's a very impressive graph. A comparison with something from the HD6xx series would be interesting.

Oct 12, 2023 at 12:58 AM Post #1,226 of 1,452
Glad to hear you're replacement arrived. From your account of the strap not staying on and its general post-hanger design, I'd bet a good way to secure those in place would be with small thick o-rings. Just an idea, cheers.

Edit:
Only had a set on hand(some 0-gage) and thicker rings of the same size would be ideal to rest on the inner post itself, but these are fairly secure on the post-head to demo the idea.
Nifty idea, thank you! 🙏🏽😀

Oct 12, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #1,227 of 1,452
This is the curve I'm enjoying on the MM-100s. I've done more complicated versions of this with many bands, but my moves kept trending towards this curve. Note the -6 dB to +6 dB scale, the 24 dB/oct bell shape on the mid cut, and the natural phase setting. I keep failing the blind listening test when switching between Zero Latency and Natural Phase though, so it likely doesn't matter much. Lol

I occasionally like adding a standard ~+1dB band at 5kHz if I want a little more bite.

I'm really REALLY happy with the subs on these headphones. I haven't felt the need to touch the low end at all after balancing the mids to my liking.

1697133933978.png

Mid cut:
793.43 Hz, -4.85 dB, Q: 0.342, 24 dB/oct bell

Upper mid notch:
2976.6 Hz, -1.44 dB, Q: 1.714, 12 dB/oct bell

Upper mid boost:
5881.9 Hz, +0.81 dB, Q: 1.419, 12 dB/oct bell

Impulse response: https://we.tl/t-8h7BndNJMy

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #1,228 of 1,452
This is the curve I'm enjoying on the MM-100s. I've done more complicated versions of this with many bands, but my moves kept trending towards this curve. Note the -6 dB to +6 dB scale, the 24 dB/oct bell shape on the mid cut, and the natural phase setting. I keep failing the blind listening test when switching between Zero Latency and Natural Phase though, so it likely doesn't matter much. Lol

I occasionally like adding a standard ~+1dB band at 5kHz if I want a little more bite.

I'm really REALLY happy with the subs on these headphones. I haven't felt the need to touch the low end at all after balancing the mids to my liking.
Could you provide the PEQ settings for the three nodes? I'd like to try this with Peace EQ.

Oct 12, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #1,229 of 1,452
Could you provide the PEQ settings for the three nodes? I'd like to try this with Peace EQ.
Yep, original post updated. I also have an impulse response of the curve if anyone wants it. The link will expire at some point though. https://we.tl/t-8h7BndNJMy

Mid cut:
793.43 Hz, -4.85 dB, Q: 0.342, 24 dB/oct bell

Upper mid notch:
2976.6 Hz, -1.44 dB, Q: 1.714, 12 dB/oct bell

Upper mid boost:
5881.9 Hz, +0.81 dB, Q: 1.419, 12 dB/oct bell

Oct 12, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #1,230 of 1,452
Finally some real good news on the MM-100 today. Our fellow head-fi member thermos just posted this over on gearspace.com mastering forum:

https://gearspace.com/board/masteri...eadphones-mastering-room-66.html#post16719214

@ thermos: Hope you don't mind my linking to it here?
Sure. After listening to them a bunch and I then playing music through them all night, I feel now that they read brighter than the mm500 or lcd5. At least to me. They are really good. The top end kind of reminds me of the LCD-GX from my memory of them when I tried them at the factory. I wouldn’t be surprised if overall they read flatter than any other audeze.

For the price they are just a crazy steal. I haven’t heard everything out there of course, but compared to the lcd-1 (which were the same price in the states) they are better in every conceivable way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back