Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Aug 1, 2019 at 6:16 AM Post #4,022 of 5,780
Sorry if this has already been answered, but is this just a USB headset? I'm not spending that kind of money if there's no way to use it in analog.

It might be easier to ask what it doesn't do in terms of connections. As mentioned there is a analogue in option that is then amplified by the headset. This means that you don't need / want to used sources that are already amplified as this can break the speakers in the headset. Additional to the Analog in, you have Bluetooth and USB. On a PC you can use all of these connections, Playstation 4 can also use all all of them, but only stereo via USB, unlike the full surround and Application Control you get with PC. Bluetooth can be used with Mobiles, PCs, Tablets and anything really.

Aug 1, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #4,023 of 5,780
Sorry if this has already been answered, but is this just a USB headset? I'm not spending that kind of money if there's no way to use it in analog.

There is an analog input but using amp you can easily damage the internal circuitry. The sound is superb and there is no need for different amp/dac in my opinion.

It might be easier to ask what it doesn't do in terms of connections. As mentioned there is a analogue in option that is then amplified by the headset. This means that you don't need / want to used sources that are already amplified as this can break the speakers in the headset. Additional to the Analog in, you have Bluetooth and USB. On a PC you can use all of these connections, Playstation 4 can also use all all of them, but only stereo via USB, unlike the full surround and Application Control you get with PC. Bluetooth can be used with Mobiles, PCs, Tablets and anything really.
Please, do not confuse people by claiming the analog input could EASILY be damaged.

There is not a single message here in the forum about a damaged analog input.
Neither there is any message about damaged drivers - which anyway, would not be the result of an overdriven analog input but simply a manufacturing fault falling under warranty.
There is no direct connection to the internal drivers, you always have the DAC and analog amplifier inbetween, limiting the maximum power the drivers will see.

In fact Mobius analog input works nicely and can stand up to 1.8 V level without distortion.
This is the level usual home CD-Players put out.

@KMann - Audeze gives a warning that excessive levels can damage the analog input, but they do not tell at which level this happens.
I guess it's way beyond the mentioned 1.8V, meaning that usual preamps or headphone amps will not damage Mobius.

The sound quality on the analog input is on par with the USB's. The only thing, it might not give much level on very weak sources.
It does work fine even on an EU-crippled iPhones (EU regulations limit the level of the iPhone to 0.5V, compared to the international version which can send 1V).

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #4,025 of 5,780

HyperX partnered with Audeze to make their "Cloud Orbit" and "Cloud Orbit S" planar headphones. They should be coming out soon. They don't have bluetooth, and the base Orbit doesn't have headtracking, but they are should retail for $300 and $330, respectively. https://www.hyperxgaming.com/us/company/press/article/47175

Aug 1, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #4,026 of 5,780
I like 2 channel more when I play PUBG, not sure why. But I’m on 60-65 volume most of the time. How come you guys are using it at such low volume? Weird if my USB port is lacking power?

Also is the latest update out? Or Audeze is still fixing the Windows Update bug?

Btw do I need to buy a really good bluetooth dongle for my desktop? Man I hate it so much when bluetooth pc peripherals don’t come with a dongle haha

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #4,027 of 5,780
I will have to check and get back to you on this

Please do, I find the aux port much quieter than the digital connections so I'd very much like to know what I can use to balance things out without damaging it.

I have a few ideas for different uses including having guitar coming in via the analogue whilst songs are streamed via bluetooth

Aug 1, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #4,028 of 5,780
I like 2 channel more when I play PUBG, not sure why. But I’m on 60-65 volume most of the time. How come you guys are using it at such low volume? Weird if my USB port is lacking power?

Also is the latest update out?

It won't be your usb that's lacking power, it's transferred digitally so the power is handled in the headphones themselves.

Most likely the game audio is lower than other games I find they can vary.

The updated firmware i currently going through Microsoft certification and will hopefully be released soon.

Aug 1, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #4,029 of 5,780
I like 2ch in PUBG as well with 3D Off. 7.1 with 3D just doesn't work well in PUBG for me (sounds fine, just localization is harder then 2ch)

I would love to know though how some people have such huge volumes (60+) in windows and others so low (12). To me the difference is so significant it can't just be 'different ears, different sensitivities'. To me, 60 (I listen to 24) is like OMG A DEAF PERSON WOULD PROBABLY ASK IT TO BE QUIETER.

Since the volume knob/wheel on the headset changes the windows volume, we know it isn't a difference between windows volume and headset volume, so what is it?

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #4,030 of 5,780
I like 2ch in PUBG as well with 3D Off. 7.1 with 3D just doesn't work well in PUBG for me (sounds fine, just localization is harder then 2ch)

I would love to know though how some people have such huge volumes (60+) in windows and others so low (12). To me the difference is so significant it can't just be 'different ears, different sensitivities'. To me, 60 (I listen to 24) is like OMG A DEAF PERSON WOULD PROBABLY ASK IT TO BE QUIETER.

Since the volume knob/wheel on the headset changes the windows volume, we know it isn't a difference between windows volume and headset volume, so what is it?
Weird right, and 60 for me is not even loud. It’s just nice, a bit loud for music tho, maybe 50 ish would be perfect, but still much higher than yours. And yes my ears are normal haha

Aug 1, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #4,031 of 5,780
Btw do I need to buy a really good bluetooth dongle for my desktop? Man I hate it so much when bluetooth pc peripherals don’t come with a dongle haha

Windows doesn't support LDAC or AAC Bluetooth AFAIK, so you should be good with any dongle that supports Bluetooth 4.0 or higher. I ordered mine from aliexpress for less than a dollar, though I did have to wait a few weeks for it to get here. By the way on Linux you can actually use LDAC (and all other codecs) with the right configuration. I've tried it before and it works very well.

Aug 1, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #4,032 of 5,780
Windows doesn't support LDAC or AAC Bluetooth AFAIK, so you should be good with any dongle that supports Bluetooth 4.0 or higher. I ordered mine from aliexpress for less than a dollar, though I did have to wait a few weeks for it to get here. By the way on Linux you can actually use LDAC (and all other codecs) with the right configuration. I've tried it before and it works very well.
I was wondering would it make a difference, buying a cheap bluetooth dongle or actually investing in a better one haha. Guess doesn’t really matter that much. Thank you!

Aug 1, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #4,033 of 5,780
Weird right, and 60 for me is not even loud. It’s just nice, a bit loud for music tho, maybe 50 ish would be perfect, but still much higher than yours. And yes my ears are normal haha

Yeah I was going to post a screen shot of my windows 10 at volume 62 but Im not at home. I listen to music via flac and sometimes spotify. I also play all my games and use discord all at that volume. I have no idea how in the world someone can hear a single thing at 10. I actually had it a lot louder for a while but via the wheel turned it down and its been at 62 for two weeks now and its a good spot.

Aug 1, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #4,034 of 5,780
I was wondering would it make a difference, buying a cheap bluetooth dongle or actually investing in a better one haha. Guess doesn’t really matter that much. Thank you!

Only things I can think that might make a difference are the the range, and if you want to watch video media with it as latency can be an issue with Bluetooth.

I have a low latency dongle for my Bluetooth speakers (for night time watching) low latency is only supported in Bluetooth 4.1 and above. Not sure if all devices support it or just those that specify. Not sure if the Mobius does or not either.

Aug 1, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #4,035 of 5,780
Yeah I was going to post a screen shot of my windows 10 at volume 62 but Im not at home. I listen to music via flac and sometimes spotify. I also play all my games and use discord all at that volume. I have no idea how in the world someone can hear a single thing at 10. I actually had it a lot louder for a while but via the wheel turned it down and its been at 62 for two weeks now and its a good spot.
If I play PUBG at around 66-68, my Spotify would be turned down to 80% volume on the app itself. It’s perfect. So I assume I listen to music around 50-ish or a little more. Not too loud. & everyone would enjoy it. Not blasting music or anything. So yea I wonder why others need 20 volume on windows & some others need 60-70.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back