Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Nov 20, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #4,171 of 4,467
Should we be on the lookout for another firmware update before the end of the year?
Yes, firmware is continuously being internally tested. Stay tuned

Nov 24, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #4,173 of 4,467
I purchased the new OLED Steam deck but I can’t get the dongle to show up in the audio settings. Any ideas how I get Maxwell to work.
We have a few Steam Deck owners, and as Steam Deck uses general USB audio, it works fine when the dongle is set to PC. So if the dongle works fine off other general USB audio devices (i.e. a PC, or a mobile device set to PC), then the issue is possibly a change or lack of proper drivers on the new Oled deck.

A friend of an employee has the new OLed Deck, and a Maxwell, so waiting to hear on their results to see if there's something on our end.
:sweat_smile:

Have you tried the headset through the usb wired cable as well?

edit: Make sure the audio is not set to 44.1khz. It has to be 16/24 bit and 48khz/96khz. Maxwell does not support 44.1.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #4,175 of 4,467
We have a few Steam Deck owners, and as Steam Deck uses general USB audio, it works fine when the dongle is set to PC. So if the dongle works fine off other general USB audio devices (i.e. a PC, or a mobile device set to PC), then the issue is possibly a change or lack of proper drivers on the new Oled deck.

A friend of an employee has the new OLed Deck, and a Maxwell, so waiting to hear on their results to see if there's something on our end.
:sweat_smile:

Have you tried the headset through the usb wired cable as well?

edit: Make sure the audio is not set to 44.1khz. It has to be 16/24 bit and 48khz/96khz. Maxwell does not support 44.1.
EDIT: I got USB wired to work!
I have to plug it in then power on.
I’ll try the dongle tomorrow but it should work, fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #4,176 of 4,467
Just got these for use with my gaming PC- very impressed by the build quality and the osund.
I bought a Dolby Atmos license separately and have been enjoying it quite a bit for both games and films. Top work Audeze!

Nov 27, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #4,177 of 4,467
How do the Maxwell's stack up against the DT770(250ohm)'s? or better yet, DT1990's?
I remember getting the Penrose a few years ago, and while the freedom of wireless was fantastic, the DT770's ultimately had the clear edge in overall audio. Better soundstage, clarity and bass based on what i remember. Ended up returning the Penrose and stuck with the Beyers.

I plan on picking up the DT1990's, but I've got to be honest. I'm sick and tired of being tethered. I had to route 4 soundblasterx G6 dac's from my TV & Consoles all the way down to my end table next to my couch to work in tandem with my Fire Stick Max/Streaming(TV toslink), Blu-ray Player(Another Toslink), Nintendo Switch & PlaySation 5(Both using USB 2.0). Sure, i could just stick to one DAC, but i don't want to have to keep unplugging or switching the USB & Toslink cables every time i want to use one of the 4 devices above.

I'm looking for convenience, but i guess not even the maxwell's can dethrone the mighty DT1990. I mean, go figure, the DT1990's retail for $700+ CAD, where as the wireless Maxwells are $449. Maybe in another 10+ years Audeze will create a high end open back wireless set of can's that can compete against the DT1990s? Or is that just wishful thinking. Heck, by 10 years I probably one even care anymore. lol

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2023 at 9:53 PM Post #4,178 of 4,467
DT1990 is ~ Sundara level of details with a nice punch and good dynamics. The problem is that it's a very aggressive headphone with sharp treble and a small soundstage. It forces details into your skull and is the opposite of relaxing. I would only recommend it if a) you need a studio monitor to hear the sharp consonants or b) if you have a tube amp. On a tube amp the DT1990 gets a bigger soundstage and loosens up, and you don't have that sharpness anymore. I would not recommend a DT1990 without a tube amp for a musical listening experience. The Maxwell is perfectly tuned. Yes, a Sundara sounds better, but that's hardly a competition when it's an open back and has none of the features the Maxwell has. The Maxwell is truly magnificent and a marble of engineering and insane for its pricepoint. The only slight drawback is that it could have better dynamics, but who cares, this things battery lasts forever and it does sound very good. Yes you can get better sound for the money (Sundara / IEM's like Awful Perfomer 8 etc) but none of these "competitors" are wireless. The passive isolation factor of the Maxwell is also very good. The true "competitor" is the Focal Bathys which i've not heard but it's double the cost and people seem to prefer the Maxwells sound over it.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #4,179 of 4,467
DT1990 is ~ Sundara level of details with a nice punch and good dynamics. The problem is that it's a very aggressive headphone with sharp treble and a small soundstage. It forces details into your skull and is the opposite of relaxing. I would only recommend it if a) you need a studio monitor to hear the sharp consonants or b) if you have a tube amp. On a tube amp the DT1990 gets a bigger soundstage and loosens up, and you don't have that sharpness anymore. I would not recommend a DT1990 without a tube amp for a musical listening experience. The Maxwell is perfectly tuned. Yes, a Sundara sounds better, but that's hardly a competition when it's an open back and has none of the features the Maxwell has. The Maxwell is truly magnificent and a marble of engineering and insane for its pricepoint. The only slight drawback is that it could have better dynamics, but who cares, this things battery lasts forever and it does sound very good. Yes you can get better sound for the money (Sundara / IEM's like Awful Perfomer 8 etc) but none of these "competitors" are wireless. The passive isolation factor of the Maxwell is also very good. The true "competitor" is the Focal Bathys which i've not heard but it's double the cost and people seem to prefer the Maxwells sound over it.

Thanks for the detailed response! But have you tried EQing the DT1990's by any chance? And no tube amp, just 4 Soundblasterx G6's.
And i guess it just isn't fair comparing open back to closed. But in the case of the closed back DT770(250ohm)'s , paired with a DAC, Vs the Maxwell's, which of the two come out on top? If the maxwell's can in fact at least match the DT770's, I'd definitely make the upgrade. They don't have to best them, just match.

And what exactly do you mean when you say the Maxwells main drawback is that it could have better dynamics? Bare with me, I'm the furthest thing from an audiophile.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2023 at 12:46 AM Post #4,180 of 4,467
I didn't hear the DT770, but i had the DT1770 for a while. Again, treble was a bit sharp, smaller soundstage, it was a bass canon, not very resolving. Again, on a tube amp i could enjoy it for "wonky big bass fun". It had the best passive isolation of any closed backs ever though (i would say now that the Maxwell is on par).
Of course you can use EQ, i'm not a fan, but sometimes it helps, but often times you can only roughly EQ what bothers you, not precisely. The Maxwell will be better, it's perfectly tuned because it's already using EQ internally. It will also be more detailed and more clear sounding.
Dynamics are basically how much air the driver can push and make the sound feel more impactful (punch & slam, physicality). Examples: The Unseen - End Of Green at 0:42 when the drum kicks in. Celeste B-Sides - Old Site at the start. Supermassive Black Hole at the very start. The example that i tested when i could not listen to my own music was Queen - We Will Rock You, that song was basically on every listening device at Highend Munich. When i listened to it with Stax or the DCA Stealth it sounded so flat and dead, as a listener you had no intention standing up and rocking with the song.
Normally dynamic drivers (such as the Beyers) have better dynamics than planars (such as the Maxwell). You cannot EQ dynamics (you can bump up the upper bass for example, but it won't have the same effect, dynamics are not the same as volume). Even some very expensive headphones often lack dynamics (Dan Clark Audio, Meze...). Focal headphones for example do have very good dynamics. When you heard a highend headphone that does dynamics exceptionally well (the Abyss 1266 TC is the #1) your mind gets basically blown by how much dynamic songs can sound. Often times dynamics are also very dependant on the amplifier, the Hifiman Susvara needs very highend amps and it will sound very dynamic once you spent (too much) cash, up to the point where you hear (feel) the air moving from not only drum impacts but also the string playing of guitars. Of course the recording quality needs to be exceptional for that too, like The Pineapple Thief - No Man's Land. Some reviewers talk about micro- and macrodynamics.
So, TLDR: Get the Maxwell, you won't be disappointed. And then later get a tube amp for the DT1990 and A/B them :gs1000smile: .

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #4,184 of 4,467
Does the Maxwell work with the playstation portal by any chance? Hopefully someone knows
No unless you manually plug in through the headphone jack. The portal only accepts the proprietary PS Link connection for wireless through the adapter that comes bundled with the Pulse Elite and Explore when they become available.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back