Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Dec 22, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #241 of 4,459
There is an adapter inside the box already.
Ah I see it's listed at the very bottom but not shown in the actual photos. Missed it there. Glad to know it's included!

lighter

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2022 at 4:02 AM Post #243 of 4,459
I ordered my Maxwell yesterday and now I just cant wait till they arrive. I loved Mobius sound, I was thinking to jump someday to LCD line, but convenience of wireless made me chose them instead. Maybe when My AKG K550 break (9y going strong!) I will satisfy my curiosity for LCD.
Now what I crave is any new info, details or just something about Maxwell! :D

@Audeze As manual is not online yet I'm just interested how headstrap/headband regulation works? I See 3 sets of holes each side in leather strap (btw is it real leather or vegan one?) Does it work by simply unscrewing 2 screws and screwing them in different set of holes?
Also by "suspension strap" are you referring to some spring mechanism or just that leather strap works in tandem with spring steel part?
And last question about ear pads. In FAQ you state that they easily remove by twisting. I'm wondering if they contain any bespoke plastic(or whatever the material) part like Mobius/Penrose earpads or it's achieved with leather tab of some sorts?

Dec 23, 2022 at 6:16 AM Post #244 of 4,459
Maxwell has an ear opening on the pads that are around: 65mm tall x 50mm wide x 30mm deep
Penrose/Mob: Inner dimensions: 60mm tall x 45mm wide x 20mm deep

The earcups and the parts that have the audeze A logo are both glass infused nylon (this is the same stuff that is used for our LCD-2 Classic rings.). The headband is steel, the yokes are aluminum. The earpads are PU/protein leather.
I've put in an order! Hopefully size of the ear opening on the pads is large enough for my abnormally large dumbo ears.

I plan to use these at the gym, replacing or alternating with an Euclid and Edifier STAX S3. Any options for leather ear pads? Mainly for easier cleaning and longevity. Thanks.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #245 of 4,459
Just saw this in the FAQ:

>> Is there a trade up program for Penrose/Mobius owners?
> We have no immediate plans, but we'll consider it for the future.

@Audeze I really hope there will be a program; there are so many unresolved design issues with the Penrose:
- bluetooth calls never worked for me
- the noise floor is really high when not playing back anything
- battery life is so-so, no percentage reporting on Android
- wireless range sucks big time
- random clicks / pops
- there is this half-baked voice cue when switching modes to dual BT + wireless
- game/chat mix volume ergonomics suck
- the mic gain volume randomly gets reset to a low value

Early adopters like me feel betrayed, because we waited for (announced) upgrades / fixes which never came, and for a good reason: they were coming in the form of the upcoming Maxwell product -- however, without a trade up program, we're just never getting these. We understand that hardware design flaws cannot be fixed with software, but then you must provide people a way to migrate !

Also, for newcomers interested in the Maxwell, how can they know you won't be doing the same ?

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2022 at 7:20 PM Post #246 of 4,459
I've put in an order! Hopefully size of the ear opening on the pads is large enough for my abnormally large dumbo ears.

I plan to use these at the gym, replacing or alternating with an Euclid and Edifier STAX S3. Any options for leather ear pads? Mainly for easier cleaning and longevity. Thanks.

No current plans for alternative earpads.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Dec 23, 2022 at 8:04 PM Post #248 of 4,459
I'm intrigued by the Atmos licence. Xbox series X Atmos delay (100-200ms) is a problem for many console owners and I have encountered it even when using Penrose with the wireless USB connection. The delay is enough to cause noticiable lip sync issues. Have you tested if the delay is present with Maxwell? The delay seems to largely come from Xbox itself so I'm not hopeful Maxwell is going to bring any change.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2022 at 11:35 PM Post #249 of 4,459
That's a huge missed opportunity gamers like to have options with these kind of things. We had to wait for third party with the Penrose. And they only came out when the Maxwell got announced. Velour is a good alternative the same with Airweave with cooling gel inside.
To clarify, We dont plan to make alternate pads at the moment. We believe there will be plenty of options shortly. Both earpads and the headband strap are designed to be easily customizable & replaceable.

I'm intrigued by the Atmos licence. Xbox series X Atmos delay (100-200ms) is a problem for many console owners and I have encountered it even when using Penrose with the wireless USB connection. The delay is enough to cause noticiable lip sync issues. Have you tested if the delay is present with Maxwell? The delay seems to largely come from Xbox itself so I'm not hopeful Maxwell is going to bring any change.
We only have access to the audio once it reaches the dongle. The dongle to headset latency is the same irrespective of the 3D audio, since we get PCM data through USB from the xbox.
That said, Dolby is improving their tools. You should reach out to Dolby directly on the latency.
IMG_7275.JPG

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Dec 24, 2022 at 12:11 AM Post #250 of 4,459
And as for amplification, we already have internal amplification, and would note that users should be very careful using other amplifiers. The analog input is not passive. It most go through an ADC conversion back to DAC. You can damage the headset by overwhelming the inner circuitry with too much power. So be mindful of amplifier output. You gain no real benefit using an external amplifier, and may actually introduce more noise into the audio chain.

I plan to use the Maxwell for music primarily rather than gaming since Maxwell seems like it could be a great entry point into Audeze headphones on the cheap seeing as the traditional LCD models are more than I would like to spend at the moment or at least MSRP for new on the Audeze website. I do not plan on using the wireless or USB capability of the headphone all that much but plan to have it wired to an external amplifier. I absolutely dislike the sound quality I get from my PC's onboard audio solution, I'll spare you the colorful words I can muster to describe it.

I understand that Maxwell does not benefit from amping but if I decide to connect the Maxwell to something a little more robust such as my Hifiman EF400 (4.4 watts into lord knows what) which typically pairs well with planar headphones or maybe a Schiit Asgard 3 (5 watts into 16 ohms) rather than using a dongle dac or realtek PC onboard solution, would I put this headphone at serious risk? I assume you are trying to say that we should not use this headphone with any kind of high gain but it should be safe to run on low gain or are these big boy amps just too much for the Maxwell?

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #252 of 4,459
Dec 24, 2022 at 3:00 AM Post #253 of 4,459
Noisy USB ports, I would rather not.
They aren't that noisy nowadays. If they are, that's an issue with the mobo.

Either way, it would be way less noise than what's created by double amplifying the sound. The amp would amplify the signal, then the the headphones internal amp would do it again. Unless it's like the Mobius where it goes through an ADC, then the dac, then the amp.

Dec 24, 2022 at 3:43 AM Post #254 of 4,459
I plan to use the Maxwell for music primarily rather than gaming since Maxwell seems like it could be a great entry point into Audeze headphones on the cheap seeing as the traditional LCD models are more than I would like to spend at the moment or at least MSRP for new on the Audeze website. I do not plan on using the wireless or USB capability of the headphone all that much but plan to have it wired to an external amplifier. I absolutely dislike the sound quality I get from my PC's onboard audio solution, I'll spare you the colorful words I can muster to describe it.

I understand that Maxwell does not benefit from amping but if I decide to connect the Maxwell to something a little more robust such as my Hifiman EF400 (4.4 watts into lord knows what) which typically pairs well with planar headphones or maybe a Schiit Asgard 3 (5 watts into 16 ohms) rather than using a dongle dac or realtek PC onboard solution, would I put this headphone at serious risk? I assume you are trying to say that we should not use this headphone with any kind of high gain but it should be safe to run on low gain or are these big boy amps just too much for the Maxwell?
If you want to use wired headphones with a standard audio cable and a headphone amplifier, why would you buy wireless headphones which have a built in onboard amp? This makes no sense.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #255 of 4,459
To clarify, We dont plan to make alternate pads at the moment. We believe there will be plenty of options shortly. Both earpads and the headband strap are designed to be easily customizable & replaceable.
Will this be third party options such as wicked cushions? Because they did release some for the penrose which only came as the end of its cycle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back