Audeze sound in a closed headphone
Mar 15, 2019 at 10:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Mcarter3

100+ Head-Fier
I am wondering if anyone can help me out. I have recently picked up a bunch of headphones on a renewed search for audio bliss. I grabbed an Audeze lcd x, a th-900, beyer dt1990 and some massdrop cans for signatures I have never heard, the he 4xx and sen 6xx.

I am coming from denon d7000 and the th-900s are a wonderful upgrade. I like them a lot. But then, the LCD-X came in and... I am in love. I do want to keep a closed back for an office environment. The th-900s are wonderful but my experience with the LCD X so far has me seeking that sound in closed form.

So the natural option would be the LCD-XC right? I am second guessing that though based on reviews I have seen. From what I read, it would not be a similar experience to the open lcd-xs.

The ZMF Atticus has caught my eye though. Does anyone have insight into what would closely replicate the lcd-x experience in closed form. Just get the XCs? Atticus fit the bill? Lawton mods for th-900? Something else?

I have an rme adi2, mjolnir, jds atom, a burson ha 160D. And if I can ever get my hands on a 789...

Mar 16, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #3 of 6
Mar 16, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #5 of 6
Mar 16, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #6 of 6
Currently have both the Atticus and LCD-X and previously had the TH-900. I feel like you would really enjoy the Atticus, it's a warm headphone like the LCD-X with a slightly dark sound signature. The Atticus emphasizes the mid-bass, but combined with the rich mids I find it a very relaxing and comfortable sound. Very similar to the HD650/6XX but with more bass extension and detail. If you prefer something a bit more neutral with more emphasis in the sub-bass region and more treble presence, the Eikon might be a better fit (Haven't had the chance to listen to them personally).

Soundstage isn't going to be as large as the LCD-X but it is still very enjoyable. Compared to the TH-900, the Atticus handles sound leakage better, but a tiny bit does get out. Unless you have someone sitting right next to you, don't think it'll be a problem.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back