Audeze's 2016 revamp, re-voiced and re-engineered headphones, the entire line (except Sine and EL8 Ti; these have updates as standard)
Jan 30, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #286 of 330
  EL-8 Closed back are sold out on apple store and don't have time posted for next arrival.  I wondering if that is any indication. 

That would be annoying as I ended up purchasing the current closed EL-8 last week after reading a quote from an Audeze rep saying they have no current plans to release a new version.

Feb 5, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #287 of 330
Hi there,
i'm interested in a XC with the serial-nr. 852128x, produced at 15.02.2016 (certificate). I would like to know, if it's absolutely sure, that this is a current model of the 2016 revision. Are there anyone, who can confirm this?

Thanks in advance!

best regards
Martin

Feb 5, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #288 of 330
  Hi there,
i'm interested in a XC with the serial-nr. 852128x, produced at 15.02.2016 (certificate). I would like to know, if it's absolutely sure, that this is a current model of the 2016 revision. Are there anyone, who can confirm this?

Thanks in advance!

best regards
Martin

I have an XC with a serial # just a few numbers lower than yours and I was told by Audeze that it was a 2016 revision.

Feb 5, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #289 of 330

thanks a lot for your response
smile.gif

May 8, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #292 of 330
alright, so I have read this thread over and over and I have researched other sites and threads about the el-8 Ti's. from my understanding there were no changes to these in the revamp but now I am reading there are? so what is the truth. at the EL-8 Ti's revamped or not? anyone have the 2015 and the 2016 versions? I am thinking about getting another pair.

May 11, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #293 of 330
Gonna cross post this observation I have made for your benefit...

(Thread - EL-8 are a must-hear at CES)
""
Well I had an interesting gaze into the quality control struggles at Audeze.

I purchased the EL-8O at my local dealer a few weeks ago. Sadly, when I received them there was a small crack in the headband. I didn't notice it until the next day. So I bring the headphone in, the store orders a new one and lets me hold on to the current pair as the drivers work and the crack is minor. It's awesome that I got to keep jammin' while waiting for the replacement. When they arrive I am glad, and I give the store the old pair.

After I get home I realize that the left channel is completely gone, so I return the headphone the next day.

They gave me the current pair just today pair, and it's perfect.

Some things I noticed between the three pairs,
- All three came in the white outer box with a black inner box, with no carry case or carry bag.
- The first two came with one long cable, about five or six feet but the third came with two; the same long one, and one with an iPhone mic and buttons, about four feet long
- the first pair had a white certificate of authenticity folded in half measuring about four inches. The next two pairs instead had a credit-card sized certification card with a nice print
- The first pair of EL-8 had an extremely tight headband, very difficult to adjust, but the second pair had a pretty loose adjustment, still tighter than the Oppo PM-3 but close, while the third pair tightened up a little bit but nowhere near as tight as the first pair
- The first defective pair was dated 26th of January 2017, the other two were not dated but they were clearly pretty fresh

Another interesting thing I have to mention is burn in. I didn't know that there could be so much of a difference in when you open the box vs after hours of listening... how the headphone changed! I am talking about the first pair. It seems the two newer pairs were already burned in. They must really read this forum. Needless to say, I am now a believer in burn in - at least for moving parts like whatever all this planar magnetic or a dynamic driver pushing air, vibrating - I do not believe a solid component or digital signal can be changed so easily. I believe cables can make a difference, but only because the electrical resistance of the cable changes with factors like strand width, AWG of the cable, etc. Rant over :) Anyway yeah EL-8O. Sounds beautiful. I don't notice the apparent 7kHz reduction I have read about. Maybe Audeze eased up on that type of tuning - that might be impossible, I won't pretend to understand the technology here.

Apparently they are constantly tweaking this headphone.
As long as I can keep jammin, this is the sound I want. :)""

May 12, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #295 of 330
Has anyone compared had a chance to listen to the new LCD-3???

I own the LCD-3 with 2016 drivers. What do you want them compared to?

For a easy reference I do own the HD650. I find the LCD-3 to have a rougher treble and not as resolving as the HD650.

The LCD-3 also suffers from that planar compression and lack of bass impact.

The LCD-3 has more recessed mids too.

The LCD-3 has a similar murky sound to the 650.

Compared to my older LCD-3 I find the 2016 drivers similar. Bass isn't as present in the lowest octaves but extension is still good down to 20hz. The 2016 drivers are not as smooth or effortless as the older ones.

Overall I find it an ok headphone..needs a serious price review but so does the whole line.

Last edited:
May 12, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #296 of 330
At first I felt the LCD-3 were mid recessed and rough compared to the HD650 but that was because my system was not up to the job back then: cables, amp, software, cleaning up USB changed everything. The LCD-3 easily out resolves the HD650 and is better in every way (except weight). It's funny how people say the HD650 scale so well, but actually high end headphones scale even more so since they're usually so power hungry and raw at the top. The bass impact is still substantial, anymore would be unrealistic/inaccurate - this is a trade off for being able to showcase the super low frequencies so cleanly.

May 12, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #297 of 330
Planars are much easier to reach their potential early. I usually buy planars because their compression is actually easier on the ears. I've never been able to get any Audeze headphone (not including the 4) to out resolve a HD650 on any system. I do find the LCD-3 superior in bass extension and texture and cleanliness pretty handly though.

Mids are extremely important to me and sadly all Audeze headphones have recessed upper mids and there's no way around that.

The problem with planars like the LCD lime is they are dead flat and their drivers are unable to accurately produce impact, I've no idea why but someone did have an answer as to why but I've no idea where tjay comment is now.

I'm a big fan of the older LCD-2's back in 2010-2011 I thought they had the nest final balance and timbre of anything they made after that.

Last edited:
May 15, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #298 of 330
Man. these EL-8 sound epic through Oppo HA-2SE with the bass boost on. Everyday I am loving the headphone more and more!

May 15, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #299 of 330
I own the LCD-3 with 2016 drivers. What do you want them compared to?

For a easy reference I do own the HD650. I find the LCD-3 to have a rougher treble and not as resolving as the HD650.

The LCD-3 also suffers from that planar compression and lack of bass impact.

The LCD-3 has more recessed mids too.

The LCD-3 has a similar murky sound to the 650.

Compared to my older LCD-3 I find the 2016 drivers similar. Bass isn't as present in the lowest octaves but extension is still good down to 20hz. The 2016 drivers are not as smooth or effortless as the older ones.

Overall I find it an ok headphone..needs a serious price review but so does the whole line.
Interesting impressions mate. I see that the community is divided in their opinions. Half of them like HD650 better than LCD 2/3 and half of them think LCD 2/3 Fazor are direct upgrades to the HD650. Personally, I haven't heard the HD650. It's next on my list of things to listen to.

If you don't mind, care to tell us what equipment you tested the LCD 3 and HD650 on?

May 21, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #300 of 330
My fresh pair of LCD-X has arrived early last week.

They now come with new cable, though no more balanced XLR cable included, and a new and a smaller carrying case. The user manual comes as same as the iSine, a USB stick, and also a new plastic warrenty card with a serial number imprinted.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUH9A3NFXYL/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back