Audio-gd DACs: DSP1 revisions make a big difference. Characteristics, new revisions, how to switch between revisions and settings
Jul 14, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #31 of 48
Hello fellows!

It's been a while that I have not had the opportunity to connect to the forum, and I am a bit confused with everything written here about DSP upgrades.

Now, I have a DSP-1 V5 that came with my Reference 9 I ordered in November 2010. Is there an upgrade that would lead to an improvement that can be ordered at audio-gd?

Thanks for any help. Cheers! Urs

Jul 14, 2011 at 7:44 AM Post #32 of 48
WIRING OF RCA: HOW TO CHECK???

Oh btw, I saw the remark on the possibly wrong wiring of the RCA connection.

Question from a "simple user": How to figure out???

THANKS!

Jul 14, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #33 of 48

Quote:
WIRING OF RCA: HOW TO CHECK???

Oh btw, I saw the remark on the possibly wrong wiring of the RCA connection.

Question from a "simple user": How to figure out???

THANKS!

One channel will sound out of phase from the other.  Do you know what that sounds like?  When a channel is in proper phase and the recording is also in phase, vocals and instruments will sound focused and clearly defined.  When a channel is 180 degrees out of phase the vocals and instruments will sound diffuse and won't have a defined location in space.

You can also remove the cover from your DAC and check the wiring.

Jul 15, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #34 of 48
DSP1 V3 versus DSP1 V5

Hi there, I have finally found a moment to compare the two versions. I did not expect the difference to be so clearly audible. I can understand, that for certain music tastes and certain recordings, the V3 might sound more appealing. It would be nice to be able to make a fast switch between the two, depending on the music... however, I decided to leave V5 inside.

V3 brings you nearer to the stage, has a more direct appeal. With V5 you observe the stage from more far away. The room is larger. Maybe even a bit larger than "natural".

So if anyone is interested in comparing for himself, I have a V3 on sale... Some users on this forum clearly prefer the sound of V3, and I think anyone should decide form him- or herself.

Cheers! Urs

Jul 16, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #35 of 48
TOPIC: tcxo  - Oscilliator / clock upgrade on DSP-based DACs???

Taking out the DSP1 I saw where the Clock is, that can be changed on the DSP3. Its right below the DSP1 module. It looks like what has been referred to as "generic clock" in this thread. Would there be a difference if changed to a  tcxo clock??? Anyone tried this?

Jul 17, 2011 at 7:40 AM Post #36 of 48
EDIT and QUESTION for clarification:

I just got an anwer from Kingwa:
"Dear Urs, The DSP is the V5 so don't need upgrade. The clock also don't need upgrade too. There is without any improve on SQ while you replace the clock. Kingwa"

For all who are in doupt about the "generic"-looking clock and the TCXO clock. At least for DSP1-based DACs, Kingwa does not recommend the upgrade to the TCXO clock. However, it might as well be, because it might be soldered and therefore a risk to have users replace it (personally, I would not do it on my own as soldering on this kind of electronics requires a bit of experience I guess...)

Does anyone have a comment on that???

In particular:

ON THE DSP3: Is there an audible difference between the "generic" looking clock and the TCXO clock? Anyone tried that out...?

To tamahome77 : Have you got a TCXO clock for your DSP3? Did you experience an improvement?

Cheers! Diego

Sep 1, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #37 of 48
Ursdiego,

I have tried some other clocks on the Ref 3. There is a difference. 
The second best clock I'we tried is a Vanguard TCXO, ebay link.
The best I'we tried is no clock at all, i.e. remove the clock alltogether. When you do this the upsampling function will be disabled. The clock is only used for 44.1kHz to 48/96/192kHz resampling. I guess that all clocks output some noise. Remove the clock and you remove noise. The Ref 3 uses a internal clock on the Altera chip for reclocking so the 24.576Mhz clock is only needed when you want upsampling. This is what I'we put together from trying things out, it may not be 100% correct.

Keep in mind that my Ref 3 DSP3 is v2 (i think). 

Also, first post!  
redface.gif

Sep 1, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #38 of 48

If anyone could help me with this it would be greatly appreciated. 

I tried to buy DSP boards for my stuff but Kingwa insists that the DSP3 has no greater revision than v2. Now what is really going on here? Quotes below.

"I would like to buy one DSP1 v5 board for my Reference 1 and one DSP3 v5 board for my Reference 3.--------------The DSP1 is V5, the DSP3 is V2.   The REF3 except upgrade the DSP1, it can upgrade the TE7022 on it support up to 96K/24Bit, but want to some modify, do you want the TE7022 upgrade module?
Kingwa"

"Yes the DSP1 have the ver5, but the DSP3 just had the V2, and we can't upgrade it now.
Kingwa"

Sep 1, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #39 of 48

Quote:

If anyone could help me with this it would be greatly appreciated. 

I tried to buy DSP boards for my stuff but Kingwa insists that the DSP3 has no greater revision than v2. Now what is really going on here? Quotes below.

"I would like to buy one DSP1 v5 board for my Reference 1 and one DSP3 v5 board for my Reference 3.--------------The DSP1 is V5, the DSP3 is V2.   The REF3 except upgrade the DSP1, it can upgrade the TE7022 on it support up to 96K/24Bit, but want to some modify, do you want the TE7022 upgrade module?
Kingwa"

"Yes the DSP1 have the ver5, but the DSP3 just had the V2, and we can't upgrade it now.
Kingwa"

I don't see what the problem is.  The DSP1 module is for the DACs, and that stopped at v5.
The DSP3 module is for the Reference 3 converter, and that stopped at v2.
So what is your concern?

Sep 2, 2011 at 6:15 AM Post #40 of 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPodPJ

I don't see what the problem is.  The DSP1 module is for the DACs, and that stopped at v5.

The DSP3 module is for the Reference 3 converter, and that stopped at v2.

So what is your concern?

Hmm. I re-read the thread and it seems that just one poster talks about a dsp-3 v5 revision. First time I read it, I got the impression that many were. I guess I have to take Kingwas word against his. 
redface.gif
  Sorry for the confusion.

If I may ask, does somebody know if ALL dsp-3 v2 units comes with jumpers and different upsampling selector pins? I'm asking because mine does have dip switches.
Eh, I guess I'm asking if there is a way to know what dsp revision you have.

Additionally, does anybody know if the difference between dsp-3 v1 and v2 is noticeable?

Thanks in advance. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 3, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #41 of 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnrik

Hmm. I re-read the thread and it seems that just one poster talks about a dsp-3 v5 revision. First time I read it, I got the impression that many were. I guess I have to take Kingwas word against his. 
redface.gif
  Sorry for the confusion.

If I may ask, does somebody know if ALL dsp-3 v2 units comes with jumpers and different upsampling selector pins? I'm asking because mine does have dip switches.

Eh, I guess I'm asking if there is a way to know what dsp revision you have.

Additionally, does anybody know if the difference between dsp-3 v1 and v2 is noticeable?

Thanks in advance. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Never mind, Kingwa already kindly answered my questions.

Jun 11, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #42 of 48
New revisions of DSP1? What is current? Sounding different?

I come back with an older thread. Almost a year ago, we discussed the last time the differences between DSP1 - revisions.

Back then, revision 5 was the newest one.

However, it seems, that revision 5 was to stay for a while, most users were quite convinced of its sound, me included. I have a Reference 9 DAC with DSP1 v. 5 in it.

Anyway, audio-dg started again producing new pcm1704uk - DACs, which is great, and they still come with DSP1.

Who is aware of the current version number? Has anyone triend an update? Has anome an ide about sound differencies?

Jun 11, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #43 of 48
Just want to get involved here - recently purchased a Ref 7 with v3 DSP and will be purchasing a v5 DSP from Kingwa as well so I hope to post some impressions soon. Meantime anyone find a good way to A/B the DSP1 modules?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back