Audio-GD DI-20
Oct 21, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #4,966 of 5,353
Only the second link.

The first one has nothing to do with HDMI. It takes an input from the RJ-45 connector. Not the output as is needed. Secondly, it is intended for use with older DAC models which have on-board 5-pin I2S TTL level socket. It will work with single-ended I2S source, not guaranteed working with differential I2S source. Website makes a relevant remark.
What I wrote is correct. I have built and used this configuration several times.
The board in the first link has an HDMI connector as an input and converts the i2s from LVDS to single i2s. This converts the HDMI/LVDS output of the Di20HE back to normal i2s.
The board from the 2nd link has no electronics whatsoever. It simply distributes the i2s output of the board to the RJ45 socket. Of course, you can also connect any other RJ45 socket to the HDMi/LVDS to i2s board, or solder a short RJ45 cable directly.

Addendum:
By the way, the parts from the first two links are nothing other than what is installed in the housing in the third link.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2023 at 8:34 PM Post #4,967 of 5,353
What I wrote is correct. I have built and used this configuration several times.
The board in the first link has an HDMI connector as an input and converts the i2s from LVDS to single i2s. This converts the HDMI/LVDS output of the Di20HE back to normal i2s.
The board from the 2nd link has no electronics whatsoever. It simply distributes the i2s output of the board to the RJ45 socket. Of course, you can also connect any other RJ45 socket to the HDMi/LVDS to i2s board, or solder a short RJ45 cable directly.

Addendum:
By the way, the parts from the first two links are nothing other than what is installed in the housing in the third link.
Ooh, sorry! There are three links indeed, not two. I didn't notice the first link to Ali.

In result, my comment for the
- 1st link should read as a 2nd and
- 2nd link should read as a 3rd

With such remapping there is no disagreements.

Oct 24, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #4,969 of 5,353
Has anyone ever smelled a smell of burning from the DI-20HE?

I have had mine a year and never did until recently- but I am concerned.

Does it mean the unit is overheating?
Like smoke coming out?

It is funny you say that mine also smelled like burning components but it is as cold as not near luke temp

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #4,973 of 5,353
I own a Ref 10.32 hooked up via USB. Is the better option to get the DI-20HE or just buy a new DAC AMP? 10.32 is quite old now, but it's strong enough to drive my HE-6. Wasn't sure if Kingwa is still making DAC AMPS this powerful since the HE-6 is no longer the flavor of the month.

Oct 24, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #4,974 of 5,353
I own a Ref 10.32 hooked up via USB. Is the better option to get the DI-20HE or just buy a new DAC AMP? 10.32 is quite old now, but it's strong enough to drive my HE-6. Wasn't sure if Kingwa is still making DAC AMPS this powerful since the HE-6 is no longer the flavor of the month.

The new combos have plenty of grunt, even more than the previous versions.

A good reason to get a DI-20HE is that a reliable source said they're going the way of the dodobird. The DI-20 base model is in the Archived Product section but listed as "out of stock." They're a best value / best quality in the DDC world, but they might not make a big difference in your setup in terms of bang for the buck.

If you're happy with your setup, get a DI-20HE while you can. If you want a better DAC, check out Kingwa's new combo units

http://audio-gd.com/Products-EN.htm

Oct 24, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #4,975 of 5,353
I would opt for the di20he. Feeding the dac through spdif or i2s. Consider getting the on-board clock upgraded too (dac).

Oct 24, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #4,976 of 5,353
Yes- Like smoke. Seems to have gone away. Still working perfectly. I wonder what happened?
I would open mine if I saw smoke or something close to it. Again I do recall a burnt smoke smell from my DI20HE. Maýbe some of the component has that smell/odor when it gets warm.

(And why am I always on audio-gd site everyday in highhopes DI20HE comes in new chassis or something new is going to be released)
1698183369052.png

I can not be the only one thinking Kingwa should change the DI20HE chassis to the new one?

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #4,977 of 5,353
I would open mine if I saw smoke or something close to it. Again I do recall a burnt smoke smell from my DI20HE. Maýbe some of the component has that smell/odor when it gets warm.

(And why am I always on audio-gd site everyday in highhopes DI20HE comes in new chassis or something new is going to be released)
1698183369052.png

I can not be the only one thinking Kingwa should change the DI20HE chassis to the new one?
Possible. Or a mkii version with new enclosure.

Oct 25, 2023 at 3:06 AM Post #4,978 of 5,353
I'm Old Skool. Not that the new cases aren't beautiful, but for me I love the old Audio-gd stealth appearance.

Garage-fi until you listen to it! :)

Looks like lab gear, sounds like heaven!

Oct 25, 2023 at 3:17 AM Post #4,979 of 5,353
I'm Old Skool. Not that the new cases aren't beautiful, but for me I love the old Audio-gd stealth appearance.

Garage-fi until you listen to it! :)

Looks like lab gear, sounds like heaven!
Yeah the old one is a keeper but my R-1NOS has the new display color😅…first world problem.

Oct 25, 2023 at 4:10 AM Post #4,980 of 5,353
Yeah the old one is a keeper but my R-1NOS has the new display color😅…first world problem.

Don't feel bad- of the three pieces of Audio-gd I have in my shelf unit, none of the blue lights match each other either! :hammer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back