Audio interface for Sennheiser HD600
Jun 1, 2013 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Berlus

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I am looking for an audio interface with a built-in headphone amp to properly drive my Sennheiser HD600. I would also like to be able to input a guitar, a mic, a MIDI keyboard, and 2 monitors.

I know there are many audio interfaces that will meet my requirements, but what I'm most concerned about is the headphone amp. I don't want to have a seperate DAC and headphone amp, as I would like to have this all together in one (buspowered) audio interface.

My budget is around ~€500.

Thanks in advance!

Jun 2, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 9
OK I would recommend you look at the roland quad capture, it should be within you budget and have the I/O's you require. Got some great feedback on more "production" based forums but not sure how good the amp is for driving your cans.  Not recommending just offering a starting point for more research. MOTU and RME gear also gets lots of praise but not as budget friendly.

Jun 2, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:
OK I would recommend you look at the roland quad capture, it should be within you budget and have the I/O's you require. Got some great feedback on more "production" based forums but not sure how good the amp is for driving your cans.  Not recommending just offering a starting point for more research. MOTU and RME gear also gets lots of praise but not as budget friendly.

Thanks for your answer and information!

I only still don't understand where I have to look at when I want to have a built-in headphone amp that is sufficient to drive the Sennheiser HD600 properly. Should I be looking at the headphone output Ohm, the mW, or other specs?

Any information at all on this would be very helpful!

Jun 5, 2013 at 6:33 AM Post #6 of 9
I have only demo'd this unit with some beyer DT770 (250) and they were plenty loud enough from my perspective, however volume is not the only factor and I have no experience with your cans.  I only had a short demo and actually found the octa capture sounded better to my ears, this may be something to do with not being usb powered and there is a slight difference in output power.  All I can suggest is looking to purchase from somewhere like amazon where they have a good returns policy effectively allowing you to demo at the cost of postage return.

Otherwise look for a local shop where you can go demo a few units in store.

Jun 5, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
I have only demo'd this unit with some beyer DT770 (250) and they were plenty loud enough from my perspective, however volume is not the only factor and I have no experience with your cans.  I only had a short demo and actually found the octa capture sounded better to my ears, this may be something to do with not being usb powered and there is a slight difference in output power.  All I can suggest is looking to purchase from somewhere like amazon where they have a good returns policy effectively allowing you to demo at the cost of postage return.

Otherwise look for a local shop where you can go demo a few units in store.

Thanks so much for you answer. I found this online: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/headphone-impedance-difference-question.312596/ Someone who tested the HD600's with the Roland Quad Capture.

I still would like to know where I should be looking at, when I want to have a good headphone amp for the HD600's. I'm starting to think that there isn't an audio interface out there that meets my needs, as I don't want to have a seperate headphone amp..

Jun 11, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #9 of 9
You would need to find someone who used HD600 on a regular basis with a variety of interfaces.

That's a small pond. With not many fish in it.

Most people with quality interfaces will choose headphones from the Studio, Stage and DJ lines rather than high end consumer.

I'm familiar with the MOTU Ultralite, Native Instruments Audio 2 and M-Audio Fast Track Pro. All work excellent with Sennheiser HD 25-! 2. Which is a notoriously easy to drive unit with ~70 Ohm impedance. Your question is whether picky 'phones with ~300 Ohms impedance would work as well.

Don't know for sure. Although  Sennheiser do have 300 Ohm studio gear in their inventory. So I'd guess yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back