Audio Technica A700 vs A900
Mar 3, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #2 of 15
IMO to be perfectly honest, the two arent very different. The extra money is going to be a waste, unless you need the higher freq range, or plan to use them with an amp. I have the 700's and have heard the 900's; and to me i think i made the right choice.

Mar 3, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO to be perfectly honest, the two arent very different. The extra money is going to be a waste, unless you need the higher freq range, or plan to use them with an amp. I have the 700's and have heard the 900's; and to me i think i made the right choice.

Hey, couldn't help but notice in your sig that you own triports as well as the
a700s. I own the triports as well and was also thinking of upgrading along the route of a700/a900s. Just wanted to know how much of an improvement the a700s are over the triports. Is it a massive difference?
Thanks

Mar 4, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #4 of 15
These are a "massive" improvement for me. The bass is much tighter and refined, and hits MUCH harder. Also, the Boses dont really have mids at all, and these really make them shine.

Mar 4, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #5 of 15
First of all, I'd like to clarify again and again from time to time I'm not a BOSE fanboy eventhough I've purchased/used their 3 major products , In-Ear, Around-Ear and On-Ears.

I've paired the Bose Around-ear with the best soundcard avaliable - Auzen Meridian 7.1 which has the newest implemented Oxygen HD 8788 chip - $200.

The Bose Around-Ear sounds just AMAZING and the bass is awsome, tight, great extension but it doesn't get overwhelmed and muffles the mid/highs. The soundstage is just spectacular and I was really appreaciate how great it sound. But this is just HISTORY to me now as I thought the GODLY Audio-Technica A900 is going to overwhelm me over the BOSE in ALL aspect of the sound spectrum. Well, to be honest, it didn't. The clarity, soundstage, detail are EXCELLENT, however it truely lacks of bass...it feels like you're lisening to a highend, $2000+ hi-fi stereo mid/tweeters but very conservatory bass.

It's going to be a wrong purchase if you're in your 20's. What I mean is the A900 is better suited for older individuals who sits down with their coffee, newspaper and lisen to their great classics. No...bass sure plays 30% of the music notes. It will sound perfect for people who doesn't need bass or for classic recordings. The A900 certainly lacks that 30% of the bass notes for songs that needs bass extension and punch from 30-32hz and 50-63hz.

I think I've just paid $200 after shipping for the AT A900 as an experience that it doesn't really matter how many millions of people said it's wonderful headphone, you need to get the facts straight about what TYPE OF music they lisen to before you make your move. Certainly I'm not quite satisfied as A900 is not my cup of tea but it certainly is for others who has other music preference...

Mar 4, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #6 of 15
Tiramisu, I'd love to see your face if you listened to the AD900. It easily has about half the bass quantity of the A900, and no mid-bass hump.
tongue.gif

Mar 4, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Esidarap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tiramisu, I'd love to see your face if you listened to the AD900. It easily has about half the bass quantity of the A900, and no mid-bass hump.
tongue.gif

I literally LOL'ed after I read this msg...right...you know that did comfort me quite a bit as I'm enjoying the A900 now. Let me rephrase this more correctly regarding A900's bass. It has "accurate" and somewhat punchy bass that blends quite well with other music notes in the song. After more than a day close to 2 days burning, the bass extension still doesn't quite show. I watched a couple movies with the A900 and I was WOW'ed. No complaints for its bass performance during movie playback eventhough I personally think that's its ONLY weakness. The bass just lightly kisses on you with no real discomfort so it's just about right but I can't grow any more hungry than that threashold
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiramisu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First of all, I'd like to clarify again and again from time to time I'm not a BOSE fanboy eventhough I've purchased/used their 3 major products , In-Ear, Around-Ear and On-Ears.

I've paired the Bose Around-ear with the best soundcard avaliable - Auzen Meridian 7.1 which has the newest implemented Oxygen HD 8788 chip - $200.

The Bose Around-Ear sounds just AMAZING and the bass is awsome, tight, great extension but it doesn't get overwhelmed and muffles the mid/highs. The soundstage is just spectacular and I was really appreaciate how great it sound. But this is just HISTORY to me now as I thought the GODLY Audio-Technica A900 is going to overwhelm me over the BOSE in ALL aspect of the sound spectrum. Well, to be honest, it didn't. The clarity, soundstage, detail are EXCELLENT, however it truely lacks of bass...it feels like you're lisening to a highend, $2000+ hi-fi stereo mid/tweeters but very conservatory bass.

It's going to be a wrong purchase if you're in your 20's. What I mean is the A900 is better suited for older individuals who sits down with their coffee, newspaper and lisen to their great classics. No...bass sure plays 30% of the music notes. It will sound perfect for people who doesn't need bass or for classic recordings. The A900 certainly lacks that 30% of the bass notes for songs that needs bass extension and punch from 30-32hz and 50-63hz.

I think I've just paid $200 after shipping for the AT A900 as an experience that it doesn't really matter how many millions of people said it's wonderful headphone, you need to get the facts straight about what TYPE OF music they lisen to before you make your move. Certainly I'm not quite satisfied as A900 is not my cup of tea but it certainly is for others who has other music preference...

I actually find the AE Triports produce a failry pleasing sound as well. In all honesty, I'm rather satisfied with them. However, this may be because I have not listened to any other higher-end headphones for comparison save for my Shure e4c's to which I bewilderingly concluded that I prefer my Triports
blink.gif
. I find that the e4c's do produce a clearer sound with superior mids but maybe I'm just not an IEM person. I listen to mainly hard rock, classical, and a bit of techno. I think its the extra kick in bass and wider soundstage which makes the triports more attractive for me. I guess what I would be looking for is a full, closed headphone, similar to the triports but with a less muffled bass and a knotch higher in clarity, preferably sub $300. Any recommendations?

Forgot to mention, something preferably easy to drive without an amp- straight out of an mp3 player
Thanks

Mar 4, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #9 of 15
For me there was good for dreamy movies whereas the bass extention really made it suffer for any kind of action movies or movies with dramatic scenes.

Mar 4, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_72 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually find the AE Triports produce a failry pleasing sound as well. In all honesty, I'm rather satisfied with them. However, this may be because I have not listened to any other higher-end headphones for comparison save for my Shure e4c's to which I bewilderingly concluded that I prefer my Triports
blink.gif
. I find that the e4c's do produce a clearer sound with superior mids but maybe I'm just not an IEM person. I listen to mainly hard rock, classical, and a bit of techno. I think its the extra kick in bass and wider soundstage which makes the triports more attractive for me. I guess what I would be looking for is a full, closed headphone, similar to the triports but with a less muffled bass and a knotch higher in clarity, preferably sub $300. Any recommendations?

The beyerdynamic DT770 immediately comes to mind.

Mar 4, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I wouldn't call it a waste because many people see it as the final "stop" in the upgrade line. The A900 to the A500 is what the HD650 is to the HD580, the K701 is to the K501, and the SR225 is to the SR60. And all the headphones I just listed are some of the most popular headphones on this forum, period. For someone who has an A500, an upgrade to the A700 might not be worth the upgrade to the A900. And for a first-time buyer, I would recommend either getting the lowest model in the class to get a taste of the sound signature, or get the highest model to finish it off.

Mar 4, 2007 at 6:15 AM Post #12 of 15
the problem here is that the a500's are about the same price as the a700's(about $20 difference, i think).

i ended up buying the a700's just this week(they accidentally sent the ad700's at first, but i didn't mind so much. it just meant i could test drive the open version until the closed a700's came).

unless you have trained and sensitive ears, i would go for the a700's. i was asking similar questions a week ago, and most reviews for a700's say that they are very similar to the a900's.

Mar 4, 2007 at 6:28 AM Post #13 of 15
LOL Hku! That sucks man, exactly what happened to me. I got my ad700s on friday so i they were closed until monday. An extra week waiting for me. Did you buy them from Full compass systems by any chance?
wink.gif

Mar 4, 2007 at 6:56 AM Post #14 of 15
yup, full compass, but i'm pretty close to their headquarters, so shipping took less than a day.
600smile.gif

i think they might have an old ad700 they're trying to get rid of. the box was all ripped up and nasty.
blink.gif

Mar 4, 2007 at 10:56 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

I also felt the same way when I first got A900. The problem was I had K81DJ and was expecting A900 to have more bass
blink.gif
Lots of people talk about great bass on A900. But compared to what? They sure don't have the same bass impact as K81DJ.

I still love my A900 tho
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back