Audio Technica AD1000
Feb 17, 2012 at 2:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

obobskivich

Headphoneus Supremus
Alright, new thread time.

I've been digging around looking for info on the AD1000 for a while, and not finding much (found a lot of threads stating that not much is out there) - but I've seen a lot of FS threads which tells me that some people have at least heard these.

Anyways, I found a comment about them being "very cold and analytical" which has piqued my interest. My question is: are they? 

Apr 2, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #2 of 16
I should be able to tell you this weekend if you're still interested.

Apr 5, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #4 of 16
If the USPS tracking is right I should get them on Saturday.

Apr 8, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #5 of 16
I've got a few initial impressions.

Definitely lean and bright.  I usually think of "warm" and "cold" as having to do with the harmonics of something's distortion so I wouldn't call them cold.  They're pretty neutral in that respect.  If you go by tonal balance instead than I can see calling them cold.

The soundstage is wide and airy.  Too wide for me to listen without crossfeed.  Even pop and metal which don't have much stage mixed into the final product will give me a headache after a few minutes without assistance from a filter circuit or DSP.  Depth is OK compared to most stuff I've heard and improves a lot with crossfeed.  Imaging is excellent.

The bass is quite light but does go deep enough that low tuned drums and bass guitars aren't completely MIA.  It plays the "missing fundamental" psychoacoustic trick rather well which leaves out the tactile impact but gives you artificially clear and tight bass with the ability to distinguish notes.

Mids are more forward from the bass with female vocals pushed front and center.  They're clear, detailed, and pretty smooth for a dynamic.  There's either a bit of ringing or peak that bothers me with female vocals on some tracks.  Its fairly minor compared to some other headphones I've owned but I'm fairly sensitive to that kind of thing.

The highs are airy but can be a little grainy and splashy at times.  I don't hear much in the way of peaky-ness, harshness or ringing but they're not exactly silky smooth either.

Transient response is generally clean and fast.  Separation is maintained throughout busy passages and perception of details is enhanced by the lean bass response.

They're light and comfy as well.  The have a single sided cord for proper ergonomics and I think they look pretty cool too.  Those factors pretty much sum up why I bought them when I came across a deal.  I'm going to transplant some Yamaha YHD-1 ortho drivers into them.  I've always loved the looks and fcomfort of the AT headphones but everything I've read about the house sound said it wouldn't be for me.

Standing back from my preferences and looking at their overall performance I can see people liking them for the things they do well.  They have a pretty immersive soundstage but put the vocals front and center and let you hear quite a bit of detail.  Overall some of their other attributes run too counter to my tastes for me to fall in love with them but they're not to bad in the grand scheme of things.

Apr 8, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:
So what do you plan to do with their drivers? 

Also, thanks for the impressions. Makes them very tempting now...

The AD1000 drivers?

I'll probably hold on to them until I decide that the mod is going well.  I'm going to keep everything reversible until then so I can revert to stock and sell them if it doesn't work out.  I'm probably not going to get to it for a while so feel free to ask any other questions.

Apr 8, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:
The only other question I'd have is how do they compare to other headphones? 

That would be a bit harder given that can only really compare them to anything I see in your profile by memory.  Probably better bass extension than both the SA5000 and K701 with but less impact too.  That's probably about as specific as I can get because I think they all share similar strengths.

Right now my main full size is a modded T50RP which no else has reference too.  I have a K601 I keep around for a sanity check since it's pretty close to an ideal diffuse field frequency response.  Compared to that the AD1000 has a wider and more "airy" sound stage with more precise imaging, similar bass extension but with less impact, more forward midrange and treble and maybe a hair better transient response and detail.

Apr 8, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:
Interesting. Thanks. 

How about the claims that they're "Grado-like" ? Yes? No? 

You're really making these appealing btw.

They both have forward guitars?  Maybe?  They're both kind of bright?  There's more to a Grado than that, right?  If the treble on the SR325is I has was this smooth I'd probably still have them.  I couldn't get through a whole album with those.  My brain liked them but my eardrums screamed in protest.

Plus most Grados have boost in the upper to mid bass which these don't have.  The AD1000's bass just kind of gently fades out with out falling off a cliff like I remember the SA5000 doing.  Also, none of the supra aural Grados have any soundstage while these have plenty.  Vocals are almost always front and center while most other things are nicely spread out over a large stage

If you EQed up the bass some you might be able call it a fixed and improved Grado or something.  The only similarities I really hear are forward upper mids and treble.

Apr 8, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #12 of 16
Okay, that's good to know. You make a very compelling pitch on these being good headphones. You do know that right? 
L3000.gif

Quote:
They both have forward guitars?  Maybe?  They're both kind of bright?  There's more to a Grado than that, right?  If the treble on the SR325is I has was this smooth I'd probably still have them.  I couldn't get through a whole album with those.  My brain liked them but my eardrums screamed in protest.

Plus most Grados have boost in the upper to mid bass which these don't have.  The AD1000's bass just kind of gently fades out with out falling off a cliff like I remember the SA5000 doing.  Also, none of the supra aural Grados have any soundstage while these have plenty.  Vocals are almost always front and center while most other things are nicely spread out over a large stage

If you EQed up the bass some you might be able call it a fixed and improved Grado or something.  The only similarities I really hear are forward upper mids and treble.

Apr 8, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:
You make a very compelling pitch on these being good headphones. You do know that right? 
L3000.gif

Just calling it like I see it.  For me, they're close but no cigar.

I figured I should write something about them because not many people on here have.  I was just buying them for the frame but I was curious about how they sounded too and I didn't find a whole lot when I searched.

Apr 10, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #14 of 16
I'm very intested in this headphone as well as it falls within my budget, but there seems to be a complete lack of information. Everyone always mentions their bigger brother, and some even mention the AD1000rpm like headfonia, but nobody is showing any love for the poor 1000's. Are you thinking of getting a pair obobskivich? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back