Audio Technica ATH-A700X? Anyone have them?
Nov 25, 2012 at 7:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Maximos

New Head-Fier
I just got a new "Used -- Like New" pair of these off of Amazon for $108 shipped next day (from here). I really have not noticed much information or reviews about them. I had the A700s on order but I canceled and said I may as well get the latest model... also the A700x are lower impedance and I don't want to invest in amp... really wish I could have sprung for the A900x but I couldn't justify double the price right now. I read that the X models now feature real leather/more comfortable pads and tighter bass. I'm a little apprehensive in the seller sending me vanilla A700s but we will find out on Tuesday. They have another listing for A700x, but reviews are from several years back, which can't be right... Anyone have any thoughts? Could I have done better for the money?

Nov 25, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #2 of 13
I don't think you really need to worry to much about getting the "best" out there. It looks like you must be getting started in the audiophile world, and the A700x's offer a pretty balanced signature for a relatively low price. It's a good place to start to get your feet wet and I think that you probably should just gain an opinion on these first before you worry about getting an amp and whatnot. There are steps you have to take.

Nov 25, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #4 of 13
Just make sure you do the elastic band mod, else they have an annoying tendency to slip down the head. The wings really aren't great.

Great value pair of cans for $108(I paid 1200HK$ for mine when I was on holiday which was $154), good detail, fairly balanced, could do with more bass extension.

Don't need and amp and don't really benefit from one.

Nov 25, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:
thanks... we'll see which model actually shows up :wink:

what is the elastic band mod?

You tie the wings together with an elastic band/hair bobble. The image below is a AD700(which I think are pretty bad) but it applies to all the AR floating wind headbands if you have a smaller head.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3532/3238070614_4c109b729c_o.jpg

Nov 25, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #7 of 13
I see. I have a bigger head, I think, so I'll see how they fit on. Can you tell me if they look black and then have the blue metallic flakes? All the pics show them as straight blue, which differs from the original A700.

Nov 27, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #10 of 13
damn, this sucks. 700x got delayed "due to operation disruption". However, the regular A700s that I had ordered were shipped before I canceled and somehow are coming today. so pretty much I'm going to test them both and sell/return whichever one I don't prefer. will post impressions of the 700s vs the 700x when I have them both in hand. this puts me in a unique position to give a side-by-side comparison of the two units.

May 7, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #11 of 13
i just got off the phone with the distributor for AT in my country. they told me the ad700 are discontinued now in favor of the 700x, but i kinda doubt that since the lady didn't seem to know much.
anyways did you try the 700x?

May 27, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #12 of 13
yes I'm listening to them right now. vast improvement over the regular 700s I had but I wish I waited as I see many people got the 900x for like $20 more. not sure how the two compare but the 700x does sound damn good so not complaining.

May 31, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #13 of 13
great! how about comfort? do they fit ok in the head? soundstage should be good i guess. and still not too much bass right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back