Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000 Discussion (and Appreciation) Thread!
Sep 23, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #151 of 873
Hmm, well after listening to these for a while I'm noticing something. The bass impact does not compare to my HD 650's. It's detailed (but so is the HD 650) but simply cannot produce that deep deep impactful sub-bass of explosions in video games, movies, etc.

Using an equalizer I've realized that my HD 650 is just toned down in the treble which makes some things (voices, gun shots) sound less crisp unless corrected with EQ.

Sadly, boosting bass on the AD2000 does not make it impactful, while boosting treble on my HD 650 does retain the impactful bass so I get the best of both worlds.

I originally bought the AD2000's to be an open headphone that sounded like my SRH-940. Ultimately they do not sound nearly as detailed and crisp as the SRH-940, even after being equalized.

Nov 2, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #153 of 873

Quote:
Hmm, well after listening to these for a while I'm noticing something. The bass impact does not compare to my HD 650's. It's detailed (but so is the HD 650) but simply cannot produce that deep deep impactful sub-bass of explosions in video games, movies, etc.

Using an equalizer I've realized that my HD 650 is just toned down in the treble which makes some things (voices, gun shots) sound less crisp unless corrected with EQ.

Sadly, boosting bass on the AD2000 does not make it impactful, while boosting treble on my HD 650 does retain the impactful bass so I get the best of both worlds.

I originally bought the AD2000's to be an open headphone that sounded like my SRH-940. Ultimately they do not sound nearly as detailed and crisp as the SRH-940, even after being equalized.

The lack of bass impact and extension are the weaknesses of the AD series in general although I find AD2000 to have the best bass compared to its siblings. 

Feb 8, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #154 of 873
I just bought these as an upgrade from my ad900 and I couldn't be happier. The headphones have a much better build quality to them, as big as the gap from the Ad700->Ad900. The bass is an improvement over what I considered near perfect on the Ad900, the highs are excellent, but the mids are...Holy cow. These are mean headphones and I love it.

Feb 25, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #157 of 873
~25Hz

Feb 25, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #158 of 873

Quote:

Dang. That's pretty great. Man, the more I read, the more my supreme temptation grows. If I pour libations and offer a sacrifice to the Head-fi gods, perhaps one will pop up in the FS forum sometime soon. My poor wallet. 
rolleyes.gif

Feb 25, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #159 of 873
It all hurts man, all of it.

Feb 25, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #160 of 873

Quote:

Dang. That's pretty great. Man, the more I read, the more my supreme temptation grows. If I pour libations and offer a sacrifice to the Head-fi gods, perhaps one will pop up in the FS forum sometime soon. My poor wallet. 
rolleyes.gif

Make a post looking for them, I had luck that way.

Feb 28, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #164 of 873
Quote:
I'm looking for a new DAC to pair with my Ad2000. I have an O2 amp and my iBasso D4 currently that uses dual Wolfson 8740 DACs and am wondering where I should go next. Any ideas?

Unless you have a compelling reason to upgrade, I'd recommend not bothering and just enjoying the music. As far as a DAC, I have no substantial experience with anything in your price range as almost all of the sources I've heard have been the >$2K MSRP variety (and most have been CDPs, not standalone DAC units). The only thing I can remotely offer is to upgrade to an AC-powered source, maybe one in the $500-$1K category.

Though I'm not familiar with the O2 amp, I have to add a recommendation here for a Dynalo (or M3) regardless - out of all the amps I've heard with the AD2K (which has been a lot over the 5+ years I've owned them), those amps have stuck out as being the best, hands down.

Feb 28, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #165 of 873

Quote:
Unless you have a compelling reason to upgrade, I'd recommend not bothering and just enjoying the music. As far as a DAC, I have no substantial experience with anything in your price range as almost all of the sources I've heard have been the >$2K MSRP variety (and most have been CDPs, not standalone DAC units). The only thing I can remotely offer is to upgrade to an AC-powered source, maybe one in the $500-$1K category.

Though I'm not familiar with the O2 amp, I have to add a recommendation here for a Dynalo (or M3) regardless - out of all the amps I've heard with the AD2K (which has been a lot over the 5+ years I've owned them), those amps have stuck out as being the best, hands down.

Thanks, I was looking into the Dynalo based on your review and praise of it. I think I'm going to look into an HRT Music Streamer II since I've heard it's very neutral with good clarity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back