Audio Technica ATH-AD700 or ATH-AD900?
Mar 1, 2012 at 10:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Brick3

Head-Fier
Hello everyone.I'm thinking to buy ath-ad700 or 900.Many people recommend others to buy one of these headphones for gaming.I've read that ath-ad900 has more bass.But is that all?Is there a difference between their general sound quality?
I don't like much bass.I prefer treble sound.The other thing i wonder is;does ath-ad700 has bad/low bass (because many people say this)and ad900 has better/improved bass or ad700 has good bass and ad900 has heavier bass.I'm asking this because as i said i don't like heavy bass.
If the only difference is the bass between them i'll probably buy ad700.

Mar 1, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #3 of 12

Quote:
Hello everyone.I'm thinking to buy ath-ad700 or 900.Many people recommend others to buy one of these headphones for gaming.I've read that ath-ad900 has more bass.But is that all?Is there a difference between their general sound quality?
I don't like much bass.I prefer treble sound.The other thing i wonder is;does ath-ad700 has bad/low bass (because many people say this)and ad900 has better/improved bass or ad700 has good bass and ad900 has heavier bass.I'm asking this because as i said i don't like heavy bass.

Heya,

The AD900 improves on everything. I would go that route.

As for the bass, the AD700 is not even neutral. It literally just is a very bass shy. The bass of the AD900 is neutral. It's more of a complete headphone that is competent to actually do everything, but nothing is over powering or missing. The AD700 is half a headphone as far as I'm concerned. Again, the AD900 improves every where, from treble to mids, overall better quality. If budget allows, there's no reason not to go AD900 over it's younger, half-butt sibling.

Very best,

Mar 1, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #4 of 12
I've heard that the ATH-AD700 has slightly better sound stage then the ATH-AD900.
but I'm guessing(?) the AD700s lack of real bass makes it easier to hear the sound stage.
Get the ATH-AD900s, I do not think I've ever heard anyone regret replacing their AD700 with the AD900.

Mar 1, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #5 of 12
This is a pretty darn useful thread on the subject that helped me out a long time ago.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/310273/audio-technica-ath-ad700-vs-ath-ad900

Sadly, I have only heard the AD700. But let me tell you, it really is bass shy. It needs at least three decibels of bass boost to even sound close to neutral.

Edit:

Judging by their frequency responses, they are almost identical in bass quantity.

Mar 1, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #6 of 12
AD900 is not neutral. Sure, bass has some slam but music has no body at all and the much - revered soundstage is artificially wide and completely flat, it has no depth at all. AD900 excels with detail delivery and lovely mids, but the rest is basically a deal breaker.

Disclailmer: it was my only headphone for a year.

Mar 2, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #7 of 12
Thank you everyone for your answers.i think i'll go with ad900 according to your answers.
One last thing i want to ask.Should i buy a900 or ad900.Most people recommend ad series because of its soundstage but i still want to learn your thoughts.I have a closed desing headphone so i have no idea how open desing headphones sounds like.I can only imagine a bit.Which do you recommend for both game and film?

Mar 2, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
Thank you everyone for your answers.i think i'll go with ad900 according to your answers.
One last thing i want to ask.Should i buy a900 or ad900.Most people recommend ad series because of its sound stage but i still want to learn your thoughts.I have a closed designed headphone so i have no idea how open designed headphones sounds like.I can only imagine a bit.Which do you recommend for both game and film?

My two cents.
I vote AD900, I do not remember anyone saying they like their A900 over the AD900 (unless others have heard otherwise).
I'm sure the AD900 works fine unamped, but even a basic headphone amplifier should help bring out it's best.

Mar 2, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #9 of 12

Quote:

I'm sure the AD900 works fine unamped, but even a basic headphone amplifier should help bring out it's best.

Ath line is not demanding when it comes to amps. If you have a poor quality source a Dac will benefit. 

Mar 2, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:

What do you use for gaming?

Mar 2, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #11 of 12
I don't do tons of gaming with headphones but from what i remember i liked the A900 over the AD900 for gaming simply due to the lack of bass on certain sound effects made it a little lifeless. Ill try them both out later tonight and let you know if i still feel the same.  

Mar 2, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
What do you use for gaming?

For xbox 360 and ps3 i use sony's amp.dp-1000.It's really good amp.It has bass,treble,balanced mods etc. and supports dts.In this link.the amp in the picture:
http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/sony-mdr-ds1000-headphones/4505-7877_7-31895818.html
I don't know if they will give better sound but i'll buy tb dss or astro's mixamp to test it.

According to my knowledge open desing headphones give more quality and clean sound and closed design gives more volume,bass but sound isn't as clean as open designs and disrupts a bit.Sound isolation doesn't matter.So i guess i'll buy ad900.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back