Audio Technica ATH-AD700 vs ATH-AD900
Mar 25, 2008 at 2:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 148

drgadgets

New Head-Fier
Is there a significant difference between these two headphones(ATH-AD700 and ATH-AD900)?

I'm looking to buy my first pair of REAL headphones and have read several reviews round the net.Narrowed my choices to these two, both of which have been getting good ratings. Looked at the senn hd555, but heard that the soundstage is slightly smaller. Is it better than the AD700?

Right now I'm leaning towards the AD700 because of the significantly lower price, however if the AD900's are much better I wouldn't mind dishing out the extra cash.
smily_headphones1.gif

Opinoins pls!

Mar 25, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #2 of 148
I'll probably be using this mainly with my Auzen X-fi Prelude 7.1 btw. But also with my Ipod once in a while.

Mar 25, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #3 of 148
In my experience there are very few people that have heard both. The one person I know of that has heard both simply described the AD900 as more of everything that's good about the AD700. For the big price jump I would hope so. If the AD700 is indeed very similar then it's probably the best value. Of course if you get it you will always wonder about the AD900.

Either one will work well from the iPod.

Mar 26, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #5 of 148
Yeah the AD2000 rocks. But it costs $600
eek.gif
I could buy 2 AD900s for that price.
wink.gif

I probably should add that either of these headphones would be used for both gaming and music. Say 60% gaming and 40% music.

The biggest gripe i have about the AD700 is its supposedly weak bass. I don't have much experience with audiophile cans, so I was wondering what do you guys think. Would the bass be suitable for contemporary pop, country, soft rock, r&b? I dun listen to classical music much.

Btw, I heard that both of these cans could be driven by an Auzen Prelude soundcard without an amp? Is that right? Cause if the AD700 requires an amp and the AD900 doesn't, i'ld probably go for the AD900.
confused.gif

Thks for the responses guys. Keep 'em coming!

Mar 26, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #6 of 148
The bass on the AD900 is there and well defined but you wont feel it. They're definitely not a techno club mix type of headphones. What it will give you is tons of clarity, detail, and sound stage. Sometimes I even prefer these to my HD650 for vocals. I'm listening to Jimi Hendrix now and it sounds really good. Sir Mixalot a few moments ago didn't sound so great. If you want bass and lots of it try the closed A900. Neither the AD700 or AD900 need an amp. If you want the piece of mind of having one of the best unamped headphones get the AD900. If you want to save $100 and get similar performance get the AD700.

Mar 26, 2008 at 6:20 AM Post #8 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by drgadgets /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a significant difference between these two headphones(ATH-AD700 and ATH-AD900)?

I listened to both at Headphonic in Australia, and ended up buying the AD900. Both have the same amazingly wide soundstage which is great for games. Both have a similar tone about them, in that they are quite airy and don't sound bassy.

But the 900 just had that much more *ooooomph*. Even with the same bass volume, the 900 just had so much more punch when it needed it. Though at the same time, the sound is really smooth. They are great, inexpensive, all-rounders.

As for the HD555, my neighbour has a pair. I had a listen and I was NOT impressed...... nor was he when he heard how much better my AD900 were.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AD2000 blows AD700+900 out of water.
It also beats up those two and take their lunch money.
biggrin.gif

rolleyes.gif
yeah, nice and helpful.

Mar 26, 2008 at 9:31 AM Post #10 of 148
Don't forget comparing the AD700 to the really comfortable DT770.... and you'll get that bass you like for movies. Just ordered mine, should be here in 2-3 days.

Mar 26, 2008 at 9:53 AM Post #11 of 148
Well, I'm looking for a pair of cans that will run well unamped, which the DT770 and DT880 aren't(at least that's what I heard).

Beefy look what you've done, now i want the AD900 so bad....my wallets gonna hurt.
redface.gif

And yeah, I tried the HD555 briefly and wasn't particularly impressed. Never tried the AD700s before, but I'll take beefy's word for it
cool.gif

Mar 26, 2008 at 10:01 AM Post #12 of 148
Well, mine will be amped thru my X-fi Xtrememusic. My Senn's are very loud thru that at 35.....depending on the source material....especially ASIO mode, things are too loud. I can't imagine it not powering the DT770 80 ohm headphones, but perhaps the 250ohm version would not be so fun unamped. The 280's are 64. Even if I have to crank it up a bit, it shouldn't be that big of a deal, I have alot of room on my PC to work with yet.

I wouldn't dare try to power them with an ipod or anything, but I don't own an ipod or any portable device anyways....don't need one.

It's strange that at AT's website the AD900's aren't even listed anymore.

Perhaps you could try the M50's. The fit snug but it's really soft leather and is of flat response. I'd still take the Beyers over the AD700's and M50's though.

I had the M40fs, hurt ears SOOOO bad. I tolerated it at the time, but now I can't even wear them for 10 seconds. Senn 280's are better than those.

Actually the AD700 is cheaper than the DT770's anyways. Although the AD700/900 are open air correct....maybe you don't want the DT770's then.

Mar 26, 2008 at 11:43 AM Post #13 of 148
@alphaproject:I want to try some open headphones, cause i've got a pretty quiet listening environment at home. Also, I like the option of being able to use my Ipod with my headphones. So nah, I'll pass on the DT770, for now at least.

Do tell me how u like these headphones after you've received them. I might be getting a pair of DT-770s later for use at LAN parties or on the bus/planes.

Nice, I'll have a look at the M50s.

Thanks for the input, dude!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #15 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by drgadgets /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beefy look what you've done, now i want the AD900 so bad....my wallets gonna hurt.
redface.gif

Lets say you keep them for just a year, and the price difference is $100. That is less than 30c a day - $2.10 a week. Skip a single coffee once a week, and you've covered the difference.

Quote:

but I'll take beefy's word for it
cool.gif

I don't trust me.... so I don't know why anybody else would
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back