Audio Technica ATH-AD900 vs. Sennheiser HD558 for digital piano
Jun 6, 2012 at 11:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

JeanneH

New Head-Fier
Hello, I am looking for a pair of headphones to use exclusively with my digital piano and on my computer when I record my piano music. I don't care what they look like, and they don't need to be portable. I'm easy on equipment, so I don't need anything overly durable. What I care about it accurate solo piano sound and comfort. I wear glasses, so comfort with glasses is a paramount concern.

I've spent quite a bit of time researching cans for piano specifically, or classical music generally, and have my choices narrowed down to Audio Technica ATH-AD900 and Sennheiser HD558. I'm trying to stick as close to $200 as possible. The Audio Technica cans are available on Amazon for $205, otherwise I couldn't consider them.

With the Audio Technica cans, I'm concerned about leakage, although with solo piano I'm guessing this might not be an issue. Also I've read a couple of reviews that say the speakers are in direct contact with your ears unless you have a big head. I suppose my head is average. With the Sennheiser cans, I'm concerned about the headband cracking.

Does anybody have an opinion (stupid question!) about which pair might meet my needs more closely?

Thanks for your insights,
Jeanne

Users who are viewing this thread

Back