Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9A or Denon D2000?
May 23, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #4 of 25
ESW9 have beautiful mids and a warm tone to them. They'd run better unamped than the D2000.

May 23, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #5 of 25
Just this weekend, I had my ESW9A's with my iPod and P-51 Mustang.  I genuinely couldn't hear a difference with the P-51 Mustang, so I'd say that the ESW9A's do very well unamp'd.  
smile_phones.gif

My only problem is the bang for the buck.  Sonically, I don't think you're getting it.  However, if looks are important to you, then the (sonics + appearance) package may be worth your while.

May 23, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #6 of 25
I agree that its not really 'bang for the buck'. However you could just buy used.

May 23, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #8 of 25
ESW9 are certainly more enjoyable and better sounding headphones, plus they make good portables if that's something you consider too. D2000 bass is way to flabby and overwhelming, creeping into  mids and masking details there. Wish there were full size phones with ESW9 sound.

May 23, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #9 of 25
ESW9 has my vote because its sound is just so much more romantic compared to the d2000s.

May 23, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #10 of 25

Quote:
Wish there were full size phones with ESW9 sound.

Is there anything that comes close to it? 

Actually I prefer the ESW9 package as it is to a full size can, cause I can take it anywhere while having the sound I love :D

May 23, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #11 of 25

Quote:
Is there anything that comes close to it? 

Actually I prefer the ESW9 package as it is to a full size can, cause I can take it anywhere while having the sound I love :D

Sorry, I do not think so, some feel that ATH-AD2000 (ironically the same number model as Denon mentioned in this thread, please do not confuse two) resembles quite a few of ESW9 qualities, and there are certainly some, no doubts, but do not expect them sound exactly like ESW9, I personally find them quite different and a hell a lot better (ATH-AD2000), but that's me.

May 23, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #12 of 25
I personally wouldn't have either of them but if you need a closed headphone I would put the ESW9 over the D2000 by a significant if moderate margin. The D2000 has an empty midrange that really kills it while the ESW9 has a colored mid and top range that robs it of some degree of detail.

May 24, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #13 of 25

Quote:
Sorry, I do not think so, some feel that ATH-AD2000 (ironically the same number model as Denon mentioned in this thread, please do not confuse two) resembles quite a few of ESW9 qualities, and there are certainly some, no doubts, but do not expect them sound exactly like ESW9, I personally find them quite different and a hell a lot better (ATH-AD2000), but that's me.

Coming from someone who owns both I can understand where you come from. The ESW9 has a very strong body to it's sound and sounds very full and involving. This might be a bump in the midrange, but this might be a coloration that you may like. Surely I prefer it over the D2000. 

May 24, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #14 of 25
can anyone compare the ESW9A to the M50?  i find the M50 to be full,warm and punchy, and they are probably the best bang for the buck product i have ever owned.
I wonder how the ESW9A compares to them soundwise...they are not cheap!
their frequency graph looks good,maybe rolled off a little in the bass area..?
also,i really prefer full size over earpad type.  I find earpad not comfortable,so how are the ATH in that regard?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back