Audio Technica ATH-M40x: The Little Brother that Could
Aug 28, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #226 of 699

A couple of decibels more than the midrange.  Wow.  So heavy.

If you want true "bass heavy", try a 32-ohm DT770.

HD4x9 are barely bassy if you actually try them.

I didn't use capitals to emphasize quantity. I was merely trying to point out roughly what category of sound signature (bassy/neutral/bright etc) the HD 439 belong to since it seemed the OP was under the impression they are rather neutral.

Sep 13, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #227 of 699
I've got my m40x.Been using them for a month or so.But when I crank up the volume my ears seem to pain.Also I can't believe that this was the headphone that everyone hyped abt..

PS:- The Pads crunches my head out too

Edit:- woah after extensive listening and burning in this headphone sounds like a champ..best thing I've ever heard untill now..You'll be able to pickout the sounds easily and clearly and the build quality is also awesome.

The pads crunched my head at first but now it has toned down on the crunching..it feels OK now !!

Conclusion:- I'm really happy I bought this headphone !!

Sep 13, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #228 of 699
I've got my m40x.Been using them for a month or so.But when I crank up the volume my ears seem to pain.Also I can't believe that this was the headphone that everyone hyped abt..

PS:- The Pads crunches my head out too

What is your music source? In my experience these cans are not so painful to wear. If you want a clamper try Pro 700s

Oct 25, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #232 of 699
I suggest everyone that own a pair of m40x, get the pleather hm5 pads, you will not regret, everything is better besides maybe isolation, its amazing. ​

I second that, I own the pleather hm5 earpads and they're better in every way except for isolation and symmetry, my pair of earpads are not symmetrical, or of them is slightly more thicker and angled, probably because they're handmade

Oct 31, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #233 of 699
I finally got to hear these the other day at Pitbull Audio in San Diego.

I was really impressed by their overall SQ and think that they are one of, if not the best $100 headphones currently available.

I'll definitely be getting a pair soon! 
L3000.gif

Nov 3, 2015 at 6:56 AM Post #234 of 699
I second that, I own the pleather hm5 earpads and they're better in every way except for isolation and symmetry, my pair of earpads are not symmetrical, or of them is slightly more thicker and angled, probably because they're handmade
since the pads become adjusted to your ers and pads, besides that the pads also work on the mdr v6 & v7506, also the hd280, which are on the same price range, and honestly the m40x are a good winner here, altho the hd439 are a very very fun headphones. Bassy, but fun, makes me feel like im sitting in a fancy house near a bonfire because of how warm they are, also the decreased treble makes them softer... mmmmmm..

Dec 4, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #238 of 699
Hi everyone.

So I've been thinking about getting my first pair of "real" headphones after listening to music thru my cheap PC speakers for years.
After doing some research i came to conclusion that this headphones would be perfect for a poor noob like me. They are somewhat neutral in sound, good quality and relatively cheap.
I mostly listen to rock/punk/metal, jazz, blues, classical...so music with a lot of instruments. But now and then i listen to bass heavy music like trip hop, downtempo, some hip-hop and am worried that this headphones are gonna be too thin. So was thinking of saving a bit more and getting ATH-M50x. Now  my question is, are ATH-M50x more versatile? And could you hear all the details you can hear with ATH-M40x? Or are M40x simply better headphones? And if so, how come M50x are so much more expensive and highly rated? I came across numerous articles/videos that praise M50x as one of the best headphones in their price range but has never saw M40x on some list of best headphones.

P.S. i need them for listening to music. Don't really play video games and sound in movies/shows is not really crucial.

P.P.S. sorry for my poor English.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back