Audio Technica ATH-M40x: The Little Brother that Could
Jan 14, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #406 of 699
Agree, this is the first time I hear of such thing, I'd try to look around for possible scientific reasons for it.
I see that you've been looking around for replacement pads for a while. Hope you find the Yaxi to satisfy your needs...

Jan 14, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #407 of 699
Does indeed sound very strange. You may look into BPPV disorder which leads vertigo and dizziness. It is usually triggered by certain head movements but perhaps it can be triggered by sound too. I had a friend who suffered from this a while back.

Getting a bit OT here but it's certainly an interesting phenomena what you're experiencing.

Hmmm... very interesting; that sounds exactly like what I was experiencing, right down to the nystagmus (uncontrolled eye movements). I felt like my eyes were vibrating uncontrollably, which of course they technically were. 

I'll have to look further into it to see if sound can trigger it, but thank you for the starting point.

Yeah, at this point, we're here talking about medical marvels lol; we need to get back to the sound discussion. I do find it interesting though that this type of talk isn't technically unrelated to sound (although not to the topic at hand in this particular forum); maybe there should be a forum for sound-related illnesses or eccentricities (like ASMR or frisson). I know I'd post in the frisson one.

Anyway, apologies everyone for the OT discussion.

Back to the original topic, the M40x's keep surprising me with their competence. Obviously they're not the best headphones evar, but they have made me start re-listening to tracks just to hear the better separation of instruments that I couldn't get before with the crappy $5 earbuds and $15 headphones I used to use. Being able to detect the "t-t-t-t-t" of a hi-hat, and the little guitar slides in a song is amazing. And the bass response is where it's at; I was listening to Korn's track "Rotting in Vain" from their newest album, and the more backgrounded kick drum hits stood out in a way I'd never noticed before. And the bassline... the bass slapping in the verses had me grooving along, bobbing my head like a crazy person 
tongue.gif

I think I definitely have that stereo-typed "audiophile bug" though, because I keep feeling like I want even more haha. However, the M40x's are a such a good (although not perfect) combination of build, features, price, and sound, and I haven't been able to find anything comparable (affordable price, close-backed, detachable cable, approaching neutral sound but still having a good bass response, foldable for transport, etc.) with a "better" sound.

I am a noob at this though, so maybe they exist and I'm just not looking in the right places. Any suggestions?

Jan 14, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #408 of 699
At the price the M40x is? No I don't think there's much that can beat it at what it does, that being a "complete package", Me having a lot of other headphone to cycle through, still think that the M40x is a good headphone with an "all rounder" sound, has good enough soundstage (better than M50x), with detail that come at you when you listen to it. It IS a good headphone to start with.

Jan 14, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #409 of 699
At the price the M40x is? No I don't think there's much that can beat it at what it does, that being a "complete package", Me having a lot of other headphone to cycle through, still think that the M40x is a good headphone with an "all rounder" sound, has good enough soundstage (better than M50x), with detail that come at you when you listen to it. It IS a good headphone to start with.

Yeah, I figured that was kind of the case. The closest recommendation I've heard in terms of sound/price is Zeos' review of the Status Audio CB-1's, but even on those cans, the build quality wasn't as good as the M40x.

I have no plans of selling my M40x's, I just have the "audiophile bug" like I said earlier. Not enough to want to spend $300 for a headphone, but $150-175 for a pair that usually retails for higher is more likely.

I guess my next step up would be finding a slightly higher-priced set for cheaper (on eBay or the listings here). Any recommendations from that wide selection pool of yours?

Jan 14, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #410 of 699
Ah yes CB-1, it starts to gain traction lately with Youtuber like Austin pushing for it, as you said though, lesser in build.

For recommendation, do you want something to replace the M40x or to accompany it?
Do you mind trying out an Open back or prefer to stay closed?

That and I'd say "Wellcome to the hobby and I'm sorry for yor wallet" :)

Jan 14, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #411 of 699
Ah yes CB-1, it starts to gain traction lately with Youtuber like Austin pushing for it, as you said though, lesser in build.

For recommendation, do you want something to replace the M40x or to accompany it?
Do you mind trying out an Open back or prefer to stay closed?

That and I'd say "Wellcome to the hobby and I'm sorry for yor wallet"
smily_headphones1.gif

It does sound pretty good though, just not enough to make me give up my M40s.

If possible, could you do both? Like maybe two from each (2 to replace, 2 to accompany). I don't necessarily mind trying an open back (I've tried the Superlux 668b before), I just don't think I'd buy one for permanent use. As a college student, I need isolation in my cans both en-route to school and on campus. At home, I have to deal with my roommate (my brother) who has a fondness for loud tv, so I need isolation there too.

Lol thanks! I'm actually in my conservative spending mindset now. You should have seen me when I first started making money at my campus job; I bought the Fiio X3 and X3-ii and the iBasso Dx50 all within the same amount of time, along with a *lot* of other non-sound-related stuff. Although at least I can say I was still smart about it (I bought the Fiio's used and the Dx50 in an Amazon special), there's no doubt I was drunk with power 
tongue.gif
 I'm not going that route again. I'm more into Buy It For Life (or at least a long time) now. Value over quantity for me!

Jan 14, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #412 of 699
Hrmm, what do you look for in regard to sound signature? Your favorite music genre? Also only for music or also for movie/ game use?
Ahahaha yeah I get what you mean, there's just something you feel that you want to just try everything you can get your hands on. On that note, "free demo" at stores and "borrowed from a friend" is your safest and smartest choice :)

Jan 14, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #413 of 699
Hrmm, what do you look for in regard to sound signature? Your favorite music genre? Also only for music or also for movie/ game use?
Ahahaha yeah I get what you mean, there's just something you feel that you want to just try everything you can get your hands on. On that note, "free demo" at stores and "borrowed from a friend" is your safest and smartest choice
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm more into a neutral or neutral-leaning sound signature. Something a little more "fun" isn't bad either; I just really like clarity and separation, so too much "fun" worsens the sound for me. I'm not a basshead, although I do like to feel it. Since we're in the M40x thread, I'll use it's level of bass as the benchmark.

I can be fairly sensitive to treble, but burning in does work for me (My M40x were just too harsh and sibilant until I spent a Saturday playing pink noise over them; I could instantly tell the difference when I used them again). 

It's rather hard to choose my favorite music genre since I tend to listen to just about anything, but I'd have to say I'm more into metal, prog-metal, indie, although I do like a helping of EDM, electronic, and some rap. I'm really more of an all-rounder, that's just what I tend to listen to most often. A sample of my daily listened-to artists are Deftones, Tesseract, Chevelle, Gojira, Korn (Metal), Seven Lions, Major Lazer, MØ, Purity Ring (Electronic)...there's more but it would be too much lol. Long story short, one reason I like the M40x so much is because they can handle many different genres without needing much (or any in my case) EQ or adjustment.

I'd be using it for just about everything; I tend to listen to music/watch movies/game on my laptop as well as listen on my DAP. I can cope if it's better for music than gaming or movies though.

I wish more stores did free demos! 
mad.gif
 Or at least demos of good headphones...I can do all the demos I want of Skullcandy Krushers and Beats and Monsters that I want at my campus store or Best Buy, but if I want to try a wider range, I have to travel a longer way to a Sam Ash, and even they only have like 15 pairs of demo units. I haven't been able to try a Guitar Center though. I need to widen my search range too; I have no car, so I'm limited to my biking range and the bus range.

Also, I have no real audiophile or sound-interested friends (don't have that many friends period lol), so borrowing isn't really an option unfortunately.

Jan 14, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #414 of 699
Hrrmm.. I'd need to listen to some of the songs you mention to make more concrete opinion, but right now I'd say Fostex T50RP Mk.3 (neutral with a bit more fun) for open and Audio Technica WS1100 for upgrade from M40x,
I'd also say M70x, but I find my love for it isn't shared by many.
There's no need to go too far, just take any chance that pass by you and take it, trying out a lot of different headphones is what will help you find your sound preference and reach the supposed "End Game" many here still looking for.

Jan 14, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #415 of 699
I would recommend going open back for your second pair. Keep your M40x for the times you need isolation and a pair of open backs for when you're on your own and want a luxurious sound. You will be secretly praying for your room mate to leave so you can have a quality music moment... :)

As affordable open backs I would recommend AKG K701/702 (analytical, slightly cold but HUUUGE soundstage), AKG K712 (more expensive, warmer sound, still reasonably good soundstage) or Beyerdynamic DT990 (great soundstage, detailed, good bass but quite sharp treble).

Jan 14, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #416 of 699
Hrrmm.. I'd need to listen to some of the songs you mention to make more concrete opinion, but right now I'd say Fostex T50RP Mk.3 (neutral with a bit more fun) for open and Audio Technica WS1100 for upgrade from M40x,
I'd also say M70x, but I find my love for it isn't shared by many.
There's no need to go too far, just take any chance that pass by you and take it, trying out a lot of different headphones is what will help you find your sound preference and reach the supposed "End Game" many here still looking for.

Thank you for the suggestions!

I've seen the Fostex in person; they are a little big for my taste, but they might grow on me. 

What is your opinion on the M70x? I've heard people say it's *too* analytical, as well as sibilant, but I want to hear from both sides.

I definitely agree; I wouldn't even be on this forum if I hadn't broadened my horizons by listening around. My End Game is pretty much just something that is built well, is comfortable, isolates well enough, has good SQ (bass, clarity, soundstage), and is portable (folding is desired but not mandatory, detachable cable is a huge plus). Once I have that combo, I can be done searching. It wouldn't have to be some well-known brand either; for instance, I was reading just today about a Chinese company called MUSR MSUR that makes cans with wood cups and the reviews were sounding really good, so now I'm looking more into them. 

I know that sounds like I'm chasing a unicorn, but that sounds like everyone else here too 
tongue.gif

I would recommend going open back for your second pair. Keep your M40x for the times you need isolation and a pair of open backs for when you're on your own and want a luxurious sound. You will be secretly praying for your room mate to leave so you can have a quality music moment...
smily_headphones1.gif

As affordable open backs I would recommend AKG K701/702 (analytical, slightly cold but HUUUGE soundstage), AKG K712 (more expensive, warmer sound, still reasonably good soundstage) or Beyerdynamic DT990 (great soundstage, detailed, good bass but quite sharp treble).

I've definitely considered it.. I've heard what open backs do to the soundstage and it's 
eek.gif
 My concern is my neighbors and family (my family visits my apartment fairly often). For right now, I'm not alone enough to justify purchasing an open back, because I'd never get to use it. 

Also, I don't want to get addicted to the sound of an open back and then not be able to listen to my M40x, or worse, be tempted to take the open backs out into the world 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 14, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #417 of 699
Quick update; got the Yaxi STPads in. Initial tests with one stock, one STPad on seems precisely like you said @Sp12er3.

1) The SQ from the stock pads is kept, and actually improved. In the left (stock) cup, the sound now seems somewhat muffled or "empty" (even with no filter), while the right (STPad) cup is more open and revealing (even with the filter). Some might call the newer sound a touch "bright", but the remedy for that I think would be to do as I did with the stock pads and run some cotton balls along the inside of the STPads. To my ears, doing this with the stock pads tamps down the highs a bit and keeps the sound "cool", so I'm sure the effect would be the same with the STPads. Most importantly for me, the bass is not diminished in any way I can detect.

2) The isolation is about the same; VERY minimal direct* leakage with closed cups off my head. It actually really surprised me how much sound doesn't escape. *However, sounds like high hats and vocals will just about penetrate to the outside (although even that is better than you would expect; I had to turn the volume up to levels I would never use to be able to clearly make out the vocals of that song I was playing), so turn the volume down if you're in a really quiet area and need to keep it that way.

3) The comfort is a good bit better. Not as good as HM5s or velour, but a lot better than stock. As I write this I still have the left pad stock and it's starting to put pressure on my ear after being on for only around 20 minutes.

All in all, a worthy purchase; thank you @Sp12er3!

Jan 14, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #418 of 699
I'm glad for you to find the pads to be satisfying. the Yaxi is one brand that's quite popular here and are pushed quite heavily by one local retailer, I was one of the people that tempted by the advantages, and IMO it well deserve the price. It fits not only the M40x, but also most studio Headphones, ie Sony MDR 7506 (V6); Shure SRH; AT's M series (other than M70x). etc. Well, you'd know if you have the packaging in your hand. They also made microfiber ver of it BTW, they say the material is even softer and smoother than the Alcantara that's on Sennheiser HD800, Hype? I don't know as I Haven't tried that one yet, just some info if you ever want to go that route.
About the M70x, I'll just leave my note of the Impression I have when I demoed it, beware that it is quite rough, and YMMV:

"M70x: It sounds Fuller, more technical and better separation than M40x. Overall it has this "magical" feeling on it's mids and treble. Very treble focused but not harsh with fuller mids than M40x and easier to drive, It just sounds right in any music I throw at it…
Direct comparison with MSR7:  Unlike M70x, I can hear some harshness to the sound of the MSR, I dont know why some people find it the opposite; IMO M70x is the acoustics king with smooth and clean sound sig, while MSR7 is more for broader genre, especially like pop songs
I quite like it actually, It IS lacking in the bass quantity, but extension, impact, and speed are not bad.  With Q1: With Bass boost the bass amount is just enough, not really looking for it anymore… It's a dream combination"
The way I'd describe M70x treble area is more of a gentle hill rather than mountain with peaks and cliffs, They are treble focused for sure, but they are so very smooth and detailed, I dont find them harsh in any way at all. Mind you this might be because my ear just are not sensitive to the sound that people find to be particularly harsh, each people's hearing are different after all.
I do like it though, and am planning to replace my M40x to it in the future.

Jan 15, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #419 of 699
  I'm glad for you to find the pads to be satisfying. the Yaxi is one brand that's quite popular here and are pushed quite heavily by one local retailer, I was one of the people that tempted by the advantages, and IMO it well deserve the price. It fits not only the M40x, but also most studio Headphones, ie Sony MDR 7506 (V6); Shure SRH; AT's M series (other than M70x). etc. Well, you'd know if you have the packaging in your hand. They also made microfiber ver of it BTW, they say the material is even softer and smoother than the Alcantara that's on Sennheiser HD800, Hype? I don't know as I Haven't tried that one yet, just some info if you ever want to go that route.
About the M70x, I'll just leave my note of the Impression I have when I demoed it, beware that it is quite rough, and YMMV:

"M70x: It sounds Fuller, more technical and better separation than M40x. Overall it has this "magical" feeling on it's mids and treble. Very treble focused but not harsh with fuller mids than M40x and easier to drive, It just sounds right in any music I throw at it…
Direct comparison with MSR7:  Unlike M70x, I can hear some harshness to the sound of the MSR, I dont know why some people find it the opposite; IMO M70x is the acoustics king with smooth and clean sound sig, while MSR7 is more for broader genre, especially like pop songs
I quite like it actually, It IS lacking in the bass quantity, but extension, impact, and speed are not bad.  With Q1: With Bass boost the bass amount is just enough, not really looking for it anymore… It's a dream combination"
The way I'd describe M70x treble area is more of a gentle hill rather than mountain with peaks and cliffs, They are treble focused for sure, but they are so very smooth and detailed, I dont find them harsh in any way at all. Mind you this might be because my ear just are not sensitive to the sound that people find to be particularly harsh, each people's hearing are different after all.
I do like it though, and am planning to replace my M40x to it in the future.

Yep, I wore them for hours last evening and the difference in comfort is night and day. Thanks again for the suggestion.

As for the M70x: you say it's lacking bass? What standard are you judging it against, the M40x or other headphones in general? If it's like an advancement of the sound of the M40x, it sounds like a step in the right direction for me. But I notice you said it is better for acoustics than the MSR7, which you claim is for broader genres: does this mean with the various genres I listen to I'd be better picking a different set?

Jan 16, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #420 of 699
Aye, For M70x' bass, the only thing lacking in it is quantity, in which the bass seems a bit quiet in the shadow of the mids and treble, but that bass is actually quite fast and deep (reach lower frequencies) add some EQ in and you'll be done with it.
Also, when I said th at the M70x is much clearer than the M40x, it is a double edged sword, on one hand it sounds detailed and expose the veil (yeah, I feel like some veil is lifted when I change back and forth from M40x to M70x) But then the headphone will also reflect the recording and mastering quality of the song, if it's mastered bad, oh god it will sound thin, shrill with sibilance.
The M70x is definitely not an all rounder, it has a unique sound that is more suited to specific genre of songs only, but on that songs, I love it so much. Don't buy one if you intend it to be your only headphone.

The MSR7 on the other hand, has a sound signature that's more suited to modern songs, it has quite a bit of treble energy yes, but not as much as M70x, while also has bass that's fast with good impact and quantity just doesn't reach as low as M70x'. It is much more suited for a wider genre of music, particularly modern ones.
I'm on the opinion that the MSR7 is a better progression from M50x than M70x, with people who like the M40x can love or hate the M70x depends on what they prefer from M40x' broad capabilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back