Audio-Technica ATH-m50 stereo image problem
Jun 9, 2011 at 12:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

TomIvanis

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, I have just registered to this forum to see if anyone has an idea about resolving my problem.

Anyways, I have the ATH-m50 for more than two years now and unfortunately their left driver started to rattle, as they were used for 5-6 hours daily. Few weeks ago I ordered the replacement driver from the distributor, happy and enthusiastic I resoldered my new driver and every wire connecting to it as neatly as possible, just to be unpleasantly surprised that the replaced driver is a bit quieter than the old one. As a result, the stereo image suffered severely, so that even a mono signal delivers quite of a stereo pan to the right.

I would be very pleased if someone could help me resolve this, give any sort of idea or maybe even share the pain with their own experience. 
smile.gif

Thanks in advance,
Tom.

Jun 9, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #2 of 3
Some people say you need to burn them in.

I believe in burn in, so let them go for 40 hours until you pass judgement again

Also, I highly doubt you perfectly soldered everything together correctly, which would lead to conductivity problems.

Why didn't you just replace them? 

I know it's sad to get rid of them, but if my beloved Grados took a dive in the drivers, they would be trash and moved out for a new pair.

Jun 13, 2011 at 5:53 AM Post #3 of 3
Well, after the "burn-in", the image got centered a bit, but not significantly. Over the course of this year, I'm sure to replace them with probably HD25-1 II, but as you said, it's hard to "say goodbye" to your old pair of cans...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back