Audio Technica ATH-M50 Unboxing Video
Feb 18, 2012 at 10:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

DjAmTraX

Now known as: HiFiGuy528
Decided to give this a try after reading so many good comments on it.  So far, I like it.  However, it doesn't match well with the Audioengine D1.  Sounds a lot better when paired with my Apogee Duet 2.

I am not a fan of the ear pads.  I may order the DT250 pads to try.

Feb 18, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #2 of 9
Just ordered these headphones xD pretty excited to get them!

Well on-topic here, I've done my research and watched a bunch of videos on unboxings and reviews and such, and it seems there are a lot of different packings out there for these. I've seen the one you got yours in, a black box, and different designs of them. They are all legitimate, and the same brand and the same version, just different packing?

Also, if you could do a video on the comfortability and audio on these, that would be very great.

I will subscribe as well (AcixifyProductions) Thanks xD

Feb 18, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
Just ordered these headphones xD pretty excited to get them!

Well on-topic here, I've done my research and watched a bunch of videos on unboxings and reviews and such, and it seems there are a lot of different packings out there for these. I've seen the one you got yours in, a black box, and different designs of them. They are all legitimate, and the same brand and the same version, just different packing?

Also, if you could do a video on the comfortability and audio on these, that would be very great.

I will subscribe as well (AcixifyProductions) Thanks xD

From what I've heard there is a newer and older version of these headphones. The newer one comes in a white and teal colored box. Audio Technica has said that no changes have been made but there has been a lot of speculation with changes in the bass and mid sounds. There is also a version with a straight cable and one with a coiled cable. Once you get your M50's I would recommend you put them on a tissue box or the original box to break in the band a bit. It makes them much more comfortable because they are pretty tight when they come right out of the box. Also, many people recommend burning in the audio for at least 40 hours. It makes a noticeable difference because the sound is  a bit harsher right out the box.

Feb 18, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
From what I've heard there is a newer and older version of these headphones. The newer one comes in a white and teal colored box. Audio Technica has said that no changes have been made but there has been a lot of speculation with changes in the bass and mid sounds. There is also a version with a straight cable and one with a coiled cable. Once you get your M50's I would recommend you put them on a tissue box or the original box to break in the band a bit. It makes them much more comfortable because they are pretty tight when they come right out of the box. Also, many people recommend burning in the audio for at least 40 hours. It makes a noticeable difference because the sound is  a bit harsher right out the box.

Thanks a lot for the advice @Crossfire23 I've heard a lot of these hurting your ears from being a bit too tight. My friend owns a specialty music shop and told me about leaving them on something like a tissue box or a ups box that is the correct width of your head for an hour at a time, and check to see how tight it is. Also, I never heard of the older and newer versions, or the straight cable for it. I just looked it up and found the straight cable version, which I wish I would have got, but now I'm sort of excited to see how it works out with that kind of cable.

Feb 18, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #7 of 9
I'm gonna try these on my Lehmann Audio BCL to see how it really sounds. The Duet 2 is better than D1, but I suspect these cans can be even better when paired correctly with an amp. 

Feb 22, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #8 of 9
These are FAR better than my Sennhesier HD280 or anything else I got in this price range.  Pairs very well with Apogee Duet 2.

How's the DT250 ear sound on these?

Feb 23, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #9 of 9
I have the 50th anniversary Limited Edition coming so stay tuned for a video comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back