Audio Technica ATH-M50 vs Ultrasone HFI-780, or any other recommendations.
Dec 12, 2012 at 11:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

mztlynne

New Head-Fier
Hey guys.
     So Im brand new to the world of good quality headphones. Up until a week ago I thought my Skullcandy Uprocks were awesome. Then I listened to some Beats and realized that there are better headphones out there. But then I did some research and realized that Beats are nothing compared to some of the products out there. So I've been looking for a few days and am a bit tired of researching. I think I've narrowed it down to the ATH-M50 s and the HFI-780 s. I listen to mostly rock, alternative, indie, and the occasional pop song. But a lot of it is kinda bassy, so that's important to me. But I don't want there too be so much that it effects the sound quality. I have read that the M50s have "recessed mids", but seeing as I'm completely new at this, I'm not quite sure what that means. If anyone can give me their opinion, or even some other rec's that'd be great. 
                                                                                                               Thanks!

Dec 12, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #2 of 15
I have not heard the M50, but the HFI-780 is pretty sweet with velour earpads. 

Dec 12, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:
Thanks. Do you know if that whole "S-Logic" thing actually works?

Sure works for me....the headphones are closed, but they have a nice wide soundstage, unlike my other closed headphones. Great for movies too.

Dec 12, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #7 of 15
Dec 12, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
Wow thats awesome! Thanks so much. :)

If you get them, check back here and tell us how you like them.
smile.gif

Dec 12, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #11 of 15
Maybe d1100? They are like a M50 with more soundstage, bassier and more recessed mids. which doesnt really bother me. Never heard the Ultrasones so cannot comment.
I prefer the d1100 over the M50. especially for EDM. and metal.. i hated the treble on the M50.

Always say try before you buy though

Dec 12, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #13 of 15
Dec 12, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #14 of 15
The best thing you can do is go to a place that will let you listen to both headphones and others that might be mentioned. That way you can make up your own mind, without wanting to bop the guy who suggested a pair of headphones to you. That you in up not liking.

Dec 12, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #15 of 15
Ok so, I looked up a few more. I came across a bunch more comparisons that favored the M50s. I just ordered them from Amazon. I figure if I really don't like them, I can just return them. But thanks for all the input. Ill let you guys know how I like them once they get here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back