Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7b Impressions & Discussion Thread
Aug 23, 2019 at 12:56 AM Post #226 of 1,047
I own the Meze 99 Classics and they sound superb. However, I was thinking of some change, and after I read it here that the MSR7b should be an upgrade to the Mezes, I ordered them. They should arrive today. Will post my impressions after burn-in and some serious listening.

Aug 23, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #227 of 1,047
I very much agree with you regarding ATH-MSR7B.. Everything is very good, even excellent except for build quality..

Aug 23, 2019 at 2:59 AM Post #228 of 1,047
I enjoy both the Msr7b and 99 Classics. No chance in hell I'm parting with the 99s though. I still feel they are the superior can...but not by much. If you're using your Classics with the large pads, I highly recommend you purchase a set of the smaller pads from Meze Audio. Then compare.

Aug 28, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #229 of 1,047
. Hello everybody (I apologise in advance for my English)

I want to by my first pair of full size cans and I was thinking of getting the meze 99 classics but when I saw the Msr7 at half of the price I can get meze 99, I started to look reviews on those.

I currently own bgvp dmg items paired with a fiio m11, I don't know how much improvement Msr7 will make compared with those items. Does it worth it or should I go for the meze?

Aug 28, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #230 of 1,047
I currently own bgvp dmg items paired with a fiio m11, I don't know how much improvement Msr7 will make compared with those items. Does it worth it or should I go for the meze?

I haven't heard the Meze 99, but have lots of other over-ear headphones, and the MSR7b (latest version with the A2DC wire connectors to each cup) is one of my favorite pairs of closed back headphones (great lows and mids, wonderfully detailed highs, no excessive sibilance or congestion). I have a number of IEMs, and the experience of listening to an IEM vs over ear headphone is pretty different, since an IEM bypasses your external ear and vibrations from the low-frequencies are only transmitted to your ear canal and not to your surrounding skull or the outer ear. I prefer the over-ear headphone experience more, and use IEMs for convenience since I think is something is lost by sound going just straight into the ear.

Aug 28, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #231 of 1,047
IEMs are excellent because they provide/allow intimacy and you feel closer to your music. I have an iBasso DX 120 DAP which I pair with my RHA T20 monitors. Superb sound. IEMs have, however, one disadvantage, IMO: soundstage. Good full-sized cans, even closed-backed ones, can provide soundstage, airiness, and spatial cues that iems simply can't. It's just the way it works. Physics be a cruel mistress.
If you are buying your first pair of full-sized cans, you can't go wrong with the ATH MSR7b. I own the MSR7b & the Meze 99 Classics. The Mezes are expensive because of their build quality: they are made of wood and metal and they look very elegant. The Meze 99 Classics pair is a piece of art. That said, the MSR7b sound as good, if not better, than the Mezes, and they are cheaper, too. Build quality is decent, but nowhere near the kind the Meze offers. Both headphones have a bright sound signature; the texture and quality of the bass and detail retrieval is (slightly) better in the 7b in my experience. Hope this helps, pinche juan.

Aug 28, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #232 of 1,047
. Hello everybody (I apologise in advance for my English)

I want to by my first pair of full size cans and I was thinking of getting the meze 99 classics but when I saw the Msr7 at half of the price I can get meze 99, I started to look reviews on those.

Go for the Msr7b if you want a better treble extension, clarity, and detail retrieval.
Go for the 99s if you want better bass extension, with a more meaty, weighted sound.
Both are fairly forward sounding with excellent mids. Again, the 99s being meatier, but I wouldn't call the mids on the Msr7b thin either.
I slightly prefer the 99s, as sub bass and drum work is more present, and electric guitars have more crunch, but less sizzle than with the Msr7b.
The Msr7b has a wider, more spacious sound. Instrument separation is really good on both, but I'd give a slight edge to the Msr7b. The wood cups on the 99s provide a more organic timbre. I think the Msr7b benefits more from a balanced connection, as a balanced connection provides better clarity, separation, detail retrieval, and treble extension. All the things that the Msr7b already does bett than the 99s, without a balanced connection.
You really can't go wrong with either imo. They contrast yet compliment each other so well. I don't see me parting ways with either pair anytime soon.

Aug 28, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #233 of 1,047
I basically agree with earlier points regarding the MSR7B.

But just to add :-
1) it has well balanced SQ which I don't think you'd be disappointed with - good bass, forward leaning vocals (mids) & rolled-off non-siblance treble
2) very good soundstage (wide) & SQ which are better than some headphones 2-3 times its price (according to some reviews)
3) its mids is forward leaning, with more emphasis to female vocals (according to one YouTube reviewer)
4) it's fairly light & comfortable to wear/put on for hours except for the squeaky plastic sound it makes around its hinges when rubbing against your pillow (when lying down) or seat head rest. But this is hardly discernable when your music is sufficiently loud..

I don't know about Mezze 99 but the MSR7B is really worth for your money, arguably the best headphones (in my humble opinion). Go & have a try first.. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #234 of 1,047
Yes, build quality is quite different. The Msr7b feels somewhat like a toy compared to the 99s. After market balanced cables are considerably more readily available for the 99s as well. I found the treble too hot, and the bass too shy on the Msr7b. Luckily it responds well to EQ, and now they sound incredible. Of course this is subjective to each individual user.

Aug 30, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #236 of 1,047
Go for the Msr7b if you want a better treble extension, clarity, and detail retrieval.
Go for the 99s if you want better bass extension, with a more meaty, weighted sound.
Both are fairly forward sounding with excellent mids. Again, the 99s being meatier, but I wouldn't call the mids on the Msr7b thin either.
I slightly prefer the 99s, as sub bass and drum work is more present, and electric guitars have more crunch, but less sizzle than with the Msr7b.
The Msr7b has a wider, more spacious sound. Instrument separation is really good on both, but I'd give a slight edge to the Msr7b. The wood cups on the 99s provide a more organic timbre. I think the Msr7b benefits more from a balanced connection, as a balanced connection provides better clarity, separation, detail retrieval, and treble extension. All the things that the Msr7b already does bett than the 99s, without a balanced connection.
You really can't go wrong with either imo. They contrast yet compliment each other so well. I don't see me parting ways with either pair anytime soon.
Yes +1
In fact I have just replaced my Meze 99 Classics with MSR7b. I prefer the sound balance of the MSR which sounds more like the sound balance of my HD800S whereas the Meze 99 was more like an Audeze LCD2 or similar planar type sound.

The other bonus is the MSR is less microphonic on the headband and they feel lighter to wear than the Meze. Oh and of course the MSRs fold (a bit).

I haven't tried them balanced yet as I only have 4 pin XLR or 2.5mm balanced sockets! I think FiiO have a 4.4 to 2.5mm adapter.

Aug 30, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #237 of 1,047
My favorite thing about these cans - background vocals. Listening to Def Leppard, some of the best best backup vocals in rock music, they sound so clean, up front and transparent - yet finely separated with just enough distance. They definitely best the 99s in this department.

Sep 3, 2019 at 7:26 AM Post #239 of 1,047
Marketed as portable headphone understandable MSR7b comes with shorter cables. I get it. Shorter length means less copper, less expense when you're selling thousands of headphones. Use MSR7b primarily at home and longer cable would sure come in handy. MSR7b connectors (which I really like btw) mean very few aftermarket choices. Don't spend readily on cables. Basic well-constructed, lower microphonic, black casing and quality copper is all I'm after. Just like the OEM ones included with the MSR7b - but longer. Would be grateful if Audio Technica offered 5-8 foot cable length exactly like OEM shorter one's. Will gladly pay Audio Technica for one. MSR7b too good to be used solely as portable. Considering the thinner plastic parts, suspect MSR7b will last longer if used gently around the home and not hauled around. Now hunting for longer cable to use with MSR7b at home. Single-ended cable good for me. Don't require balanced cable.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #240 of 1,047
Marketed as portable headphone understandable MSR7b comes with shorter cables. I get it. Shorter length means less copper, less expense when you're selling thousands of headphones. Use MSR7b primarily at home and longer cable would sure come in handy. MSR7b connectors (which I really like btw) mean very few aftermarket choices. Don't spend readily on cables. Basic well-constructed, lower microphonic, black casing and quality copper is all I'm after. Just like the OEM ones included with the MSR7b - but longer. Would be grateful if Audio Technica offered 5-8 foot cable length exactly like OEM shorter one's. Will gladly pay Audio Technica for one. MSR7b is too good to be used mostly as portable headphone. Considering the thinner plastic parts, suspect MSR7b will last longer if used gently around the home and not hauled around for portable use. Now hunting for longer cable to use with MSR7b at home. Single-ended cable good for me. Don't need the balanced cable.

Speak to Matt at Forza Audio Works. He seems to be able to access most connectors and has a wide range of excellent quality cable materials. I have used him for a couple of different headphones and am currently waiting to hear back from him about a set with a 2.5mm balanced plug as I don't have anything with 4.4mm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back