Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7b Impressions & Discussion Thread
Nov 14, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #271 of 1,051
Hello ,

Recently i ordered the new M11 pro from fiio official site.

Among these two Audio technica MSR7B and AKG K712 which will be a better match with m11 pro sound quality wise.

Any other headphones that i can purchase within this budget that are better than these?

I don't have the budget for senheisser 660s or the Hifiman Sundara.

Thanks in advance.

The MSR7B will be, most likely, better match for anything portable (most portable devices), since the K7-- series requires serious (preferably, in my experience - tube) headphone amp. The better the amp, the more they shine.

As for sonic preferences mentioned in the last post, IMO, K7-- series are better that anything from the Sennheiser HD6-- due to the impulse response which makes them faster, livelier and less laid back, and even some other traits.
I have had at one point both K701 and HD600 and did some thorough A-B on one solid state amp that drove them both equally (rather) well, was neutral with a hint on analogue-ish sounding, and was tuned around the HD6-- series.
I have ended up using the K701 that much more (over 90% of time) that I felt no need for keeping the HD6--.

But make no mistake, the K7-- series from AKG were made in a different era for different purposes than mobile, so the MSR7b should be a whole lot safer bet when powered with portable devices.

Nov 18, 2019 at 9:14 PM Post #272 of 1,051
The MSR7B will be, most likely, better match for anything portable (most portable devices), since the K7-- series requires serious (preferably, in my experience - tube) headphone amp. The better the amp, the more they shine.

As for sonic preferences mentioned in the last post, IMO, K7-- series are better that anything from the Sennheiser HD6-- due to the impulse response which makes them faster, livelier and less laid back, and even some other traits.
I have had at one point both K701 and HD600 and did some thorough A-B on one solid state amp that drove them both equally (rather) well, was neutral with a hint on analogue-ish sounding, and was tuned around the HD6-- series.
I have ended up using the K701 that much more (over 90% of time) that I felt no need for keeping the HD6--.

Hello,

I tried MSR7B, Sony H900n, and Sennheiser HD599(All three borrowed from friends), could not find AKG K712 for demo. The Audio technica MSR7B are good hi-res headphones, but i find them not to my taste. I liked the sony H900n's sound more pleasant in the high's, more warm overall and with good mid bass and good lower bass extension. Sennheiser HD 599 have a good somewhat laid back, warm and detailed sound.

Tried various genre's of music. I think i like headphones with truly beautiful warm sound, clear, but without the brittleness; but with a lot of detail, but are there any such headphones in the mid budget range?

Nov 18, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #273 of 1,051
Hello,

I tried MSR7B, Sony H900n, and Sennheiser HD599(All three borrowed from friends), could not find AKG K712 for demo. The Audio technica MSR7B are good hi-res headphones, but i find them not to my taste. I liked the sony H900n's sound more pleasant in the high's, more warm overall and with good mid bass and good lower bass extension. Sennheiser HD 599 have a good somewhat laid back, warm and detailed sound.

Tried various genre's of music. I think i like headphones with truly beautiful warm sound, clear, but without the brittleness; but with a lot of detail, but are there any such headphones in the mid budget range?

You might be very, very surprised at changing the chain - source, above all.

I am listening to the digital recordings of the analogue signal (FM tube tuner, clear broadcast, uncompressed station, non-commercial, 44,1khz 16 bit PCM recording on good digital hard disk recorder). Sound is the routed from the source to the - believe it or not - QS series Mini Disc deck (Sony) that has AD-DA option (pressing the REC-button while no disc in the deck).
Using the headphone out of the deck, which seems to be of a surprisingly good quality, and very good match for the ATH-MSR7 (non b - original model). I have used this only for the monitoring in the beginning, but discovered that the combo is of the exceptional sound quality, by the sheer accident.

I understand what you have experienced, but your experience does not reveal the true nature of this headphone. It does not lack warmth given the right source.

I have heard a headphone or two, more expensive than ATH-MSR7, of both solid state and tube headphone amps. This headphone, ATH-MSR7 rewards the quality source and shows then what it is capable of. But it needs to be matched with both source and suitable amplification, and it does not require much (unlike AKG K7-- series), since it has rather low power requirements compared to some flagship headphones of the past.

Forget some brittle sounding digital files and sources, well, some or many of them, since it is not the same quality as the analogue material, even recorded lossless digitally, since the latter can in some cases approach high-res files.
ATH-MSR7 rewards the quality source and suitable amplification.

I cannot stress enough how impressed I am with the sound coming out of this simple and seemingly basic chain, but I suspect that the source, this tuner, is of very high quality, as well as the broadcast.
If you route this kind of source quality to the amplification of the suiting nature and quality to the ATH-MSR7 (and it can be a question of matching), you will be rewarded with the exceptional sound quality, that the other headphones you have mentioned cannot approach, imo.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #274 of 1,051
You might be very, very surprised at changing the chain - source, above all.

I am listening to the digital recordings of the analogue signal (FM tube tuner, clear broadcast, uncompressed station, non-commercial, 44,1khz 16 bit PCM recording on good digital hard disk recorder). Sound is the routed from the source to the - believe it or not - QS series Mini Disc deck (Sony) that has AD-DA option (pressing the REC-button while no disc in the deck).
Using the headphone out of the deck, which seems to be of a surprisingly good quality, and very good match for the ATH-MSR7 (non b - original model). I have used this only for the monitoring in the beginning, but discovered that the combo is of the exceptional sound quality, by the sheer accident.

I understand what you have experienced, but your experience does not reveal the true nature of this headphone. It does not lack warmth given the right source.

I have heard a headphone or two, more expensive than ATH-MSR7, of both solid state and tube headphone amps. This headphone, ATH-MSR7 rewards the quality source and shows then what it is capable of. But it needs to be matched with both source and suitable amplification, and it does not require much (unlike AKG K7-- series), since it has rather low power requirements compared to some flagship headphones of the past.

Forget some brittle sounding digital files and sources, well, some or many of them, since it is not the same quality as the analogue material, even recorded lossless digitally, since the latter can in some cases approach high-res files.
ATH-MSR7 rewards the quality source and suitable amplification.

I cannot stress enough how impressed I am with the sound coming out of this simple and seemingly basic chain, but I suspect that the source, this tuner, is of very high quality, as well as the broadcast.
If you route this kind of source quality to the amplification of the suiting nature and quality to the ATH-MSR7 (and it can be a question of matching), you will be rewarded with the exceptional sound quality, that the other headphones you have mentioned cannot approach, imo.
Thanks brother for the detailed information and explanation, u r right.

I think, i may have to wait and extend my budget, i want a headphone having all the qualities of sony + sennheiser with a little more dynamics.

Any recommendations?

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019 at 12:13 AM Post #275 of 1,051
I can agree, although it's not high end, I played my MSR7 (non-b version to boot) through my JDS 02/OL stack, and it blew me away at the clarity and sense of space and air, along with your usual high quality imagine from Audio-Technica headphones

Nov 19, 2019 at 6:21 AM Post #276 of 1,051
Thanks brother for the detailed information and explanation, u r right.

I think, i may have to wait and extend my budget, i want a headphone having all the qualities of sony + sennheiser with a little more dynamics.

Any recommendations?

Difficult to say at this point, I would look at some offerings from Beyerdynamic, but there are of course many others. The key is to audition for yourself, take your time and not rush.
You have to try a number of cans before finding something to your liking, as the sound is ultimately subjective and we all have our own small preferences. The budget is also an issue, so that is additional parameter there....

Nov 25, 2019 at 5:13 AM Post #278 of 1,051
Always dreamed of owning an Audio technica.

@Chimmy9278,

What's holding you back, MSR 7B is a good place to start unless you can get the original MSR 7.
This is not the thread but SR 9 is essentially more refined MSR 7 Series

Hope you have a great day !

Dec 30, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #283 of 1,051
I'm sure it's still sounds good but but I was just a tad shocked after having the original sound Sig of the msr7 mentally burned in.

I'm guessing that's what's causing the small.differances to seem bigger to me.

Agreed that the xm3 are too bassy.

Dec 30, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #284 of 1,051
I'm sure it's still sounds good but but I was just a tad shocked after having the original sound Sig of the msr7 mentally burned in.

I'm guessing that's what's causing the small.differances to seem bigger to me.

Agreed that the xm3 are too bassy.
I had to order a new cable for mine a couple days ago. The right side went out. I was jiggling the cable & the sound kept going in & out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back