Audio-Technica ATH-WP900
Mar 16, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #721 of 1,367
It needs at least MOJO power for portable.
I figured. Had a fiio k5 pro desktop Amp on order too but it came broken lol.

Mar 16, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #722 of 1,367
I figured. Had a fiio k5 pro desktop Amp on order too but it came broken lol.
FWIW I think its more about the pairing, it is quite sensitive. I enjoy mine with my iFi Hip DAC as much or more than my desktop setup (brighter than the iFi). Still if you don't like it I don't know that an amp will change it.

Mar 17, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #723 of 1,367
Any impressions, compared to other full size closed cans?

ath_wp900_01.jpg
The only meaningful comparison I can give is to the Oppo PM3s. Prior to getting my WP900s last week, I thought the Oppo headphones were fantastic - and they are. But, listening to the WP900s is simply a whole other ball game - the Oppo sounds very close, present, very 'on the ear'. The WP900s have a far fuller, richer, more (to my ear) natural sound and feel. I love 'em.

They really are comfortable. Initially, the lack of weight feels a little strange - so many headphones out there are metal, built 'like tanks', etc. But these are a masterclass in portability. Do they need a case? Absolutely, they're not fragile by any means but I can't imagine throwing these around - after some research, I got this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01IZ9ZJ9Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which fits really well.

Mar 17, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #724 of 1,367
Shameless plug: WP900 like new for sale: $540 shipped conus. Once again I find IEMs more agreeable.

Mar 20, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #725 of 1,367
How so!!
Since I stopped using headphones due to comfort issues I can't but miss the headphone sound despite trying several iems. I have even heard the sony ier-z1r, but I still miss some qualities of headphones 1/4 its price.

Mar 25, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #726 of 1,367
I'm thinking of picking these up... Big ask, but how does the bass compare to the th900s bass? Also, from what I've seen described from others, these have a similar sound signature to the IER-Z1R? Is that correct? Would these have less recession in the lower mids? Not fair due to the price difference, but would it be worth picking these up if you already have and love the ier-z1rs? (and have 0 issues with their comfort).

Mar 25, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #727 of 1,367
I'm thinking of picking these up... Big ask, but how does the bass compare to the th900s bass? Also, from what I've seen described from others, these have a similar sound signature to the IER-Z1R? Is that correct? Would these have less recession in the lower mids? Not fair due to the price difference, but would it be worth picking these up if you already have and love the ier-z1rs? (and have 0 issues with their comfort).
Bass is not beats by Dre level. They definitely have less bass then the sennheiser hd25 if that helps give some reference..

Mar 26, 2021 at 3:56 AM Post #728 of 1,367
Bass is not beats by Dre level. They definitely have less bass then the sennheiser hd25 if that helps give some reference..
Never heard the hd25 unfortunately. More just wanna know if it’s comparable to the ier-z1rs. I’m assuming that they probably won’t be as good though. Not a fair comparison but that’s a frame of reference for me.

Mar 29, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #729 of 1,367
Pad rolling experiment has begun. Got some cheap sheepskin angled pads from aliexpress, gonna be testing how they affect the sound. I tried with zmf and other brands but none of them fit, the pads have to be 90mm in circumference, the only other ones I could find are yaxi fix 90, but lets see what this cheapos can do.
IMG_20210329_122135.jpg

Mar 29, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #730 of 1,367
Pad rolling experiment has begun. Got some cheap sheepskin angled pads from aliexpress, gonna be testing how they affect the sound. I tried with zmf and other brands but none of them fit, the pads have to be 90mm in circumference, the only other ones I could find are yaxi fix 90, but lets see what this cheapos can do.
IMG_20210329_122135.jpg
I think about trying different pads every couple weeks or so, LOL. Is it at all difficult to remove the stock ones?

Mar 29, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #732 of 1,367
Given that the treble is potentially problematic on these, ideally you'd be looking at pads that get your ears closer to the driver. Good luck, I'm curious to see how you feel about them :)

Mar 29, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #733 of 1,367
First I tested some random songs, then I listened to shibayan's assortment of sense album back to back with both pads. The difference in sound is very hard to describe, the changes are very very subtle.

Bass: A tiny bit more impactful on chinese pads
Mids: sounds slightly less natural
Treble: can't tell the difference, but felt less fatiguing

If I had to say the changes in sound are so minimal its not worth comparing. In this case I'd say the stock sound ones feel more natural and the chinese feel more relaxed.
The stock pads are much more comfortable as the chinese aren't memory foam and have smaller holes, but the chinese Isolate outside noises better and clamps more.

I hoped the angled pads would change the sound more but they didn't, I'm staying with stock.

IMG_20210329_161335.jpg

Mar 29, 2021 at 7:13 PM Post #734 of 1,367
If someone wants to try an old AT tweak, going back to the days of the first AT wooden cans, you can insert some thin (probably 1/8" in diameter) rubber tubes (such as latex diver's tubing) between the padded area of the pads and the hard inner surface, which puts the drivers a bit further away from your ears and increases clamping force. You can glue the cut ends of the tubes together to make a circle after figuring out the length needed.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #735 of 1,367
For this cans I would want the drivers as close to my ears and possible

Has anyone here heard the ad2000x, Im wanting to get that one as a can for exclusively female vocals, If wp900 vocals were more front it would be my perfect can

Users who are viewing this thread

Back