Audio Technica M50 vs Sennheiser HD650?
May 21, 2011 at 2:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

cactus_farmer

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking of getting a M50. I already have a HD650. Will there be noticeably more bass on the M50? And more treble as well with a reduction in midrange?

The main thing I'm concerned about is bass - how does the M50 low and mid bass compare with the HD650?

And another thing - what actually is mid-bass as in what instruments occupy that frequency? The lower strings of electric guitars? Kick drums?

May 21, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #3 of 25
I've heard the HD650 on a meet. After listening to some cello performances through both headphones, I felt like HD650 (driven by Beta22) had a darker, a rounder, and richer (a bit too much for me, almost like having a a tiny bit more butter than I'd like on my food)  signature with a slight bump in the mids. There was bass for sure, but I believe M50's closed design allows for more subwoofer-like sound, which helps with feeling the reverberations of the cello, rather than hearing them on the HD650. The M50 on the other hand had a small amount of recessed mids, with more treble. I felt the treble on the M50 helped with defining the subtle sound cues like bow strokes and the textures of the cello itself. Perhaps the slightly less dark sound signature helped w/ this as well. 

As for the bass, some people say the bass is a bit boomy/overpowering. for me, I'm often reminded of this fact, but not to the extent that distracts me from focusing on the music. It's more like, focusing on the music, then thinking, 'hey, the bass on this part/ this song is a bit excessive..' then forgetting and going back to listening to music. I don't now what source you are thinking of plugging this into, but with my cowon J3, I just eq the bass down a little bit and I'm fine.

May 25, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #5 of 25
You can find the middle ground with the Ultrasones
happy_face1.gif

May 25, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #6 of 25
I have both the 650's and M50's and I thought they actualy make a good pairing for different circumstances (for look of a better word), I got the m50's mainly to use for when I needed some isolation. But I ended up loving the extra bass and punchy sound they offered. A nice contrast to the more laid back refined Senn's. I'd say that you can't go wrong with the m50's, I think every hp collector should have some. 

I'd also add that they are one of the few phones that really do need burn in before they sound as good as they can.  

May 26, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #8 of 25
Have a look at this frequency chart:
http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

May 26, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #10 of 25
Why don't you look into DT770's

May 27, 2011 at 6:07 AM Post #12 of 25

Quote:
How about after 200hrs or so burning in the HD650 - will the bass increase to a M50-like quantity?

I didn't find HD650's bass to increase during burn in

May 27, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #13 of 25

How about after 200hrs or so burning in the HD650 - will the bass increase to a M50-like quantity?

Quote:
I didn't find HD650's bass to increase during burn in

same here.. it tightens up a little though.

The 650's are very amp dependant in how they sound, but if you need a quick bass fix, you could always try the driver foam mod? I have this done, some love it some don't. Theres plenty of info on here if look around. Also a good cable upgrade can bring out the extension at both ends.  

I would only buy the m50 as a solution for something else, not to replace the 650's as they are by far superior in every way. There are lots of people who feel a little let down when they first hear the 650's. They don't bring anything to the forefront and in general don't provide a "wow" factor on first listen. But as has been said before, phones that do that tend to have something false about their freqency range and will ulitmately prove to be tireing or simply annoying over time.
I've had the 650's for 6 years and are still my favorite phone. I have had to build my rig around them though... not cheap (still all budget to midprice), but worth it!  

May 27, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #14 of 25

Quote:

same here.. it tightens up a little though.

The 650's are very amp dependant in how they sound, but if you need a quick bass fix, you could always try the driver foam mod? I have this done, some love it some don't. Theres plenty of info on here if look around. Also a good cable upgrade can bring out the extension at both ends.  

I would only buy the m50 as a solution for something else, not to replace the 650's as they are by far superior in every way. There are lots of people who feel a little let down when they first hear the 650's. They don't bring anything to the forefront and in general don't provide a "wow" factor on first listen. But as has been said before, phones that do that tend to have something false about their freqency range and will ulitmately prove to be tireing or simply annoying over time.
I've had the 650's for 6 years and are still my favorite phone. I have had to build my rig around them though... not cheap (still all budget to midprice), but worth it!  

x2. I've owned the M50 and whilst I feel the HD650 bests it in most aspects, there were instances in the past when I wished the HD650 had the same punch in the bass department (particularly with my SS amp). Hearing the HD650 now through the Lyr (overkill) with what seem to be tubes with great synergy (imaging and resolve) is illuminating. I now understand why people have built their rigs around these cans and proclaim how well they scale. From a bass perspective, it's controlled and extended with punch and weight. It's a joke to suggest the M50 could somehow be comparable.

May 27, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #15 of 25
^ seriously, you prefer your 650's with Lyr (tube) over Fun (ss) earth? Wouldn't expect that with 650's sound signature. (didn't hear my 650's with tubes though, but they pair great with NFB-3/C-2.1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back