Audio Technica M50 with better soundstage and mids?
Nov 12, 2015 at 11:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

WomboCombo713

New Head-Fier
Hello was wondering if you could recommend me a headphone. I have the M50 which are way better than anything I've used before, but would like a lot more soundstage, and better mids. Is there a pair like this in a 175 price range. Cause I always hear the M50 now x reccomended and the HD598 as like the two best for each side of the spectrum so to speak. But I would like as another way to look at it a 598 but with more bass. So far the closest thing to this I have found has been the AKG Q701. Would this be a correct statement? Is there anything else that would fit this? Also I know a lot of these require, or should be used with an amp. Is this solely because it can't get loud enough. I mean I don't really want to spend this much money on headphones just to spend more on an amp. I'm fine with the money on the headphones. Another problem is I want to listen to music, and videos off my phone which I heard is going to yield poor result with most headphones. Also want to use these for gaming on xbox one, and then in a year PC. Finally if mp3 and youtube is bad quality then where should I listen to music?

Nov 13, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #2 of 6
Hi,

I've been doing research for a month or so, looking to upgrade headphones.  Was looking at the same headphones as you, something with a more accurate EQ.  I didn't get a chance to listen to many but listened to AKG K612Pro and decided they were a little too flat sounding for me, at least in the store I tried them next to Grados.  I'm coming from a very V-shaped EQ headphone.  I bought the Soundmagic HP150 which is still a very accurate sound, they even have a graph on the box showing their EQ.  The soundstage (not to mention overall sound quality) is a noticeable improvement over my Sony V55 (basshead phones).  The hp150 are closed back so I doubt the soundstage is as wide as 598, but they have some bass I assume closer to the 558.  I'm very happy with the Soundmagic's, they're quick to make me really listen to the music and get caught up in it, very detailed but not fatiguing.  The cord may be a problem in the future and I read hard to find replacement - and earpads can get sweaty but that's it for downsides.

Hope this helps!

Nov 13, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #3 of 6
Should be able to find some used Philips Fidelio X1 headphones, with in your $175 budget.
They are only 30-Ohms and I'm guessing they were designed to be easy driven and used with portable stuff (phones & mp3 players).
Should work well with gaming consoles and computers (PC & Mac).

Nov 13, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #4 of 6
I'm now considering buying an amp because I found an amazon gift card, and will sell my M50. My new budget is 250 for headphones and amp. So what would fit my criteria of really high soundstage paired with well rounded everything else. Thank you for your help.

Nov 13, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #5 of 6
  I'm now considering buying an amp because I found an amazon gift card, and will sell my M50. My new budget is 250 for headphones and amp. So what would fit my criteria of really high sound stage paired with well rounded everything else. Thank you for your help.

Still vote Philips Fidelio (X1 or X2).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back