Audio technica M50x exchange suggestion
Dec 25, 2018 at 7:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

G.cammello

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,
I would need help in choosing my first headphones over-ear. I recently bought the "audio technica m50x" following the wave of the excellent reviews on the internet.
Unfortunately, however, I must admit that they did not hit my ears. a bit 'cold and artificial especially on the high frequencies. I like the sound but i feel like i fatique to listening.
the bass while being present also seem a bit cold.
I think that a range of medium frequencies that would make the sound warmer is completely missing.

Does Anyone can advise me a headset with a sound a a little warmer and Smoth but anyway dinamic?... I state that I could raise the budget a little beyond the m50x but without exaggerating.
the headset would be used both on a PC with a dragonfly black dac and on a smartphone so I can not exaggerate with the impedance.
The headphone must be over-ear and I prefer to have a detachable cable on It.

Thank You in advance for Any suggestion

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #2 of 11
You might want to check out the Meze 99 Classics a bit over budget but are what you are describing you want. The 99 Neos would be closer to budget be have not heard the myself .

Dec 25, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #3 of 11
Hello everyone,
I would need help in choosing my first headphones over-ear. I recently bought the "audio technica m50x" following the wave of the excellent reviews on the internet.
Unfortunately, however, I must admit that they did not hit my ears. a bit 'cold and artificial especially on the high frequencies. I like the sound but i feel like i fatique to listening.the bass while being present also seem a bit cold.
I think that a range of medium frequencies that would make the sound warmer is completely missing.
Does Anyone can advise me a headset with a sound a a little warmer and Smoth but anyway dinamic?... I state that I could raise the budget a little beyond the m50x but without exaggerating.
the headset would be used both on a PC with a dragonfly black dac and on a smartphone so I can not exaggerate with the impedance.
The headphone must be over-ear and I prefer to have a detachable cable on It.
Thank You in advance for Any suggestion
Check out the Soundmagic HP151 headphones.

Dec 26, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #4 of 11
Meze 99 classic are a a bit over budget .. what do you think about v-moda m100? I cannot find soundmagic on Amazon.. i have 250€ on Amazon to use
Thank you anyway for suggestions!

Ps. Fount it on Amazon.it I will read some review!

Ps2. Seems to be that are open back. For public use i think is better closed one

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #5 of 11
Meze 99 classic are a a bit over budget .. what do you think about v-moda m100? I cannot find soundmagic on Amazon.. i have 250€ on Amazon to use
Thank you anyway for suggestions!
Ps. Fount it on Amazon.it I will read some review!
Ps2. Seems to be that are open back. For public use i think is better closed one
The Soundmagic HP200 is the open version, the HP150 & HP151 are the closed version.

Jan 9, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #7 of 11
I tried some senheiser 598 and I really enjoyed the sound signature. Unfortunately, that model is open and I need a closed model.
Is there any headphone that sounds similar to 598 but is closed and can be piloted by a smartphone?

Jan 9, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #8 of 11
Jan 9, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #10 of 11
Thank you Very much! Does the AKG K550 are equal to the Massdrop K553?
Do you know if the 598cs sound like the open ones?
The Massdrop (AKG) K553 are considered an improvement over the AKG K550.
I believe the AKG K551 are about the same as the K553.
With the HD598CS being closed, you should find the HD598CS being a little more bassy, then the open HD598.

Jan 10, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #11 of 11
Today I got the 589cs from amazon.
I definitely find them better than the ATH-M50X but they are completely different from the 598 open-backs.
I have to get used to it for a moment to understand if I like it or not, but I'm certainly they are less bassy and not as warm as the open version.
What kind of sound do the AKG 550 MKII have? is it describable in some way versus 598 or m50x?

Thank you very much for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back