Audio-Technica's First Triple-Driver IEM: ATH-CK100
Oct 16, 2008 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 139

kjk1281

1000+ Head-Fier
At a press conference yesterday, Audio-Technica announced their lineup for November. Three models were present, including the first triple-driver universal IEM ever produced by a Japanese manufacturer.

AT boasts that their new CK100 is the smallest three-driver IEM on the market (as of September 2008). In typical AT fashion, the housing is made of titanium, and weighs only 4 grams.

14wy9s2.jpg

4sbfup.jpg

Also at the event was an entry level model to the CKM series. The CKM30 comes in black, brown, red, purple, orange, and white.

30bh24i.jpg

2w3x1c8.jpg

A portable supra-aural headphone, the FW5, was also announced.

wklmdx.jpg

All of the announced products will officially launch in Japan on November 21.
The CK100 will retail for ¥56,700 (≈$564.35), the CKM30 for ¥3675 (≈$36.60), and the FW5's MSRP is ¥6300 (≈$62.70).

オーディオテクニカ、トリプル・バランスド・アーマチュア方式のカナル型イヤホンなど発売 - Phile-web News (Japanese)

Oct 16, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #2 of 139
$564.35? Not another stupidly overpriced IEM from Audio-Technica, they have been really disappointing in that front. They should consider buying Sleek Audio, cause the SA6 is a far better representation of the Audio-Technica signature sound than any of their IEM offerings.

Oct 16, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #5 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting, but the price is bone shaking.

Definitely agree with that.

Oct 16, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #6 of 139
yeh audio technica is good, that triple driver iem looks a poor design, dont look like its an over ear loop, jst hanging down style. thats just the idea i get tho, is it 3 way or 2 way.

reason i ask is because 3 way would justify the price, beating westone 3 to the mark for first ever 3 way universal to the market

Oct 16, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #7 of 139
I think it must be a 2 way as it's being touted as "the first triple-driver universal IEM ever produced by a Japanese manufacturer" rather than "first true 3 way triple-driver universal IEM ever produced".

They look great, and I thought they were an interesting proposition before I saw the price, but not anymore. I'd rather pay the same or less and get a custom triple-driver. I'm sure it'll come down in price eventually ... it really needs to. What would AT prefer - a small amount of sales way out at the very top end of the universal market circa $550 or a decent share of the top end of the market selling at around $350.

Oct 16, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #8 of 139
Oct 16, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #9 of 139
Another Japanese article said, in comparison to Triple.fi 10 Pro that has 1 driver for treble and 2 drivers for mid/bass, CK-100 has 2 drivers for treble/mid and 1 driver for bass. That's an interesting point.

Oct 16, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #10 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeh audio technica is good, that triple driver iem looks a poor design, dont look like its an over ear loop, jst hanging down style. thats just the idea i get tho, is it 3 way or 2 way.

reason i ask is because 3 way would justify the price, beating westone 3 to the mark for first ever 3 way universal to the market

Aren't the Shure SE530 and UE triple.fi both 3 way driver universal IEMs? I dont think Westone UM3 is going to be the first on the market by a long shot.

Oct 16, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #11 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aren't the Shure SE530 and UE triple.fi both 3 way driver universal IEMs? I dont think Westone UM3 is going to be the first on the market by a long shot.

no the se530 and triple fi 10 are not 3 way, 3 driver yes, 3 way no.

3 way means if the crossover splits the frequency range up into 3 seperate components, for example the se530 is a 3 driver 2 way earphone, its crossover puts the highs and mids to one driver (yes one) , the bass however is sent to the 2 remaining drivers, this is why they are described as having twin bass drivers.

a 3 way earphone will have a crossover that seperates the freq range 3 times, the bass, mids and highs will all have thier own driver, seperated by the 3 way crossover, the se530 and triple fi dont do this, hence...this is why the westone 3 is such a hot prospect because it does do that, and this has the potential to make the music sound even better and well produced

Oct 16, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #15 of 139
Thanks for the clarification jinx2001. I hadn't read the SE530 and triple.fi data specs indepth to notice that they were in fact using their 3 drivers in a 2-way configuration.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no the se530 and triple fi 10 are not 3 way, 3 driver yes, 3 way no.

3 way means if the crossover splits the frequency range up into 3 seperate components, for example the se530 is a 3 driver 2 way earphone, its crossover puts the highs and mids to one driver (yes one) , the bass however is sent to the 2 remaining drivers, this is why they are described as having twin bass drivers.

a 3 way earphone will have a crossover that seperates the freq range 3 times, the bass, mids and highs will all have thier own driver, seperated by the 3 way crossover, the se530 and triple fi dont do this, hence...this is why the westone 3 is such a hot prospect because it does do that, and this has the potential to make the music sound even better and well produced

Users who are viewing this thread

Back