Audio Zenith PMx2 Impressions page
Jan 2, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #211 of 393
  Can anybody in this thread comment on soundstage of PMx2 versus the following: Audeze LCD series; Ether open (original); Senn HD 6x0.  While they are all different, to me, those headphones have comparable soundstage (at least in terms of width), sounding reasonably open but not as wide as any of HD 800(S) or AKG 812 or K/Q7-- series. I have the stock PM-2 (considering the PMx2 upgrade) and for all its virtues in stock form, have basically stopped listening to them because they sound so closed compared to my Senn HD 600 and 650 and AKG K7xx. How much of an increase in soundstage does the PMx2 represent over stock and is it reasonable comparable with aforementioned cans.

I've A/B'd the PMx2 against the LCD-3, and I think the PMx2s are the clear winner. The first time I heard the LCD-3 I thought it was amazing -- I'd never heard that level of detail before. But putting them side-by-side with the PMx2, it is very clear the LCD-3s are more like a very detailed headphone with a wacky EQ setting, The PMx2s have similar soundstage and are much more neutral.

Can anyone comment on the longevity of the pads on these? They look amazing as a reference headphone, but I'm on the fence as the pads are non-replaceable. I use my headphones everyday and these will be an expensive purchase...shipping them back to the US everytime I need new pads doesn't sound the best option.

I've had my PMx2s for almost a year now (got them late Jan 2016) and the pads have not worn in any significant way. I think I wear them them about 4 - 6 hours per week (which probably falls on the lighter side), so that's maybe 260 hours so far.

Jan 4, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #212 of 393
For those of you who own the PMx2, whats your amp of choice? I have a tube amp right now and am thinking of buying the PMx2. Just curious what your fav amp to pair it with is, and why. Thanks for any info. The PMx2 rocks!

Jan 4, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #214 of 393
Don't forget balanced output of Pono player (don't make Alex come after you :wink:

Kidding aside, I got one of the original Kickstarter Ponos and didn't think much of it (went on the shelf).  When I got my PMx2, Alex was adamant that Pono with balanced outputs is one of the best DAPs you can get, IF you've left it on for an extended period of time and don't let the battery die.  I've learned to take Alex's opinion on tonal signatures extremely seriously, so I promptly ordered balanced cables and a Pono adapter.  

He's absolutely right, fantastic source (to say the least)  Just effortless and transparent.  Completely different experience than I had when I was running it single ended.

That being said, the Oppo PM-2's are pretty efficient.  I've had good experiences with the Jotunheim and my Mojo, but also with any other amp I've tried the PMx2's with.

Jan 5, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #216 of 393
Another vote for the Pono balanced to PMx2. Yeah, the Pono UI sucks, but the sound is pretty incredible. Alex had me do a blind test with PMx2's and Yggy/Rag vs. PONO. While they were very close, I ended up preferring the PONO. I was shocked when he told me that I picked the PONO. I had never really listened to one before and he didn't tell me upfront what I was comparing. I assumed one was the Yggy/Rag combo, but he didn't tell me that the other option was just a PONO!

I sure wish the PONO could be used as a USB DAC...

So, I also use my Gumby/Rag with my PMx2's when I listen or watch movies with Out Of Your Head and my computer.

Jan 6, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #218 of 393
Interesting stuff about the Pono, the PMx2 and balanced vs. SE.

Anyone test with any other high end headphones to determine if Balanced is just better from the pono regardless of headphone, or is it some wort of synergy between the Pono balanced and the PMx2. Physics would indicated there should be no difference is sound between identical SE and balanced amps, except for increased volume on balanced side.

For those that say it sounds better balanced, have you volume leveled  to the best that you can? Louder will generally sound better to most people, balanced is inherently louder. 

Jan 7, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #219 of 393
Some words from authors of Pono:

"But many audiophiles prefer to use higher performance earphones that require more driving power. The PonoPlayer can deliver that extra driving power in balanced mode. The DAC chip is specially designed to deliver balanced signals, with one positive phase and one negative phase on each channel.
Since one phase is going positive while the other phase goes negative, the voltage swing to the headphone drivers is doubled. The maximum voltage is now 2 volts RMS instead of 1 volt RMS that is normally available from portable audio music players.
But running them in balanced mode would quadruple the power to 125 mW! Plus all of the odd harmonic distortion would be canceled, improving the sound quality even more, plus all of the benefits of the equal draw on the power supply explained in the Tech Sheet — it all adds up to a significant improvement in sound quality simply by replacing the headphone cables!
Ayre Acoustics, Inc.

Jan 10, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #222 of 393
Does anyone have a new version of this can with the updated tuning available to be borrowed? I live in Rhode island if that matters. I am currently demoing last year's model and am interested in buying one, but haven't heard the newer version. Thanks

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #223 of 393
Does anyone have a new version of this can with the updated tuning available to be borrowed? I live in Rhode island if that matters. I am currently demoing last year's model and am interested in buying one, but haven't heard the newer version. Thanks

Where is this information about updated tuning ? There isnt a newer version as far as i can find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back