Audio Zenith PMx2 Impressions page
Apr 26, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #271 of 393
I’ve had the V2 version for over a month now. I’ve only listened to the older version for a short time in a somewhat noisy environment. In the V2 I hear greater resolution and slightly better soundstage.

If I have time I’ll post more detailed impressions later but for now…

I’m enjoying these more than my Utopias, HE1000, and even Abyss. I should end the post here but I’ll add a bit more.

The tonality, balance, and cohesiveness is what has won me over. One of the benefits of having several headphones is that you can choose the best one based on mood, genre, recording quality, and downstream gear you’re choosing. But until now, I could not find one headphone that had the technical chops of most TOTL headphones, while drawing me into the music, and work well in all situations. The other headphones I mentioned are stronger in certain areas, e.g. Abyss is visceral with great soundstage, Utopia resolution is crazy good and very dynamic sounding. But if I’m in a long listening session I like to jump through several genres and eventually I’m either forced to find tracks that play to that individual headphone’s strengths or start switching to different headphones. The PMx2 v2 has changed that for me and I don’t feel like I’m really missing anything, in fact the tonality and coherency make it hard to switch headphones. Sort of like how I feel about HD600/650 and HE-500s but improved in every respect.

I’ve only been using Chord DAVE with no external amplification this past month but will be testing it out with SS and tube amps later.

Some headphones take you by surprise. You may know you’ll enjoy them and think of them as worthy additions to your stable (if you aren’t a one headphone person)…but I was not expecting these to take over like they did, even if it’s only been a month. These need to be seen as competition against even the exotic TOTL.

May 9, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #273 of 393
Experience a small sound stage and treble roll off ?
Are you asking if the PMx2's have a small sound stage and treble roll off? Or are you saying that you heard a pair of PMx2's and experienced a small sound stage and treble roll off?

With the original Oppo PM-1/PM-2's, to me, they have a small sound stage and treble roll off. I do not care for them at all.

But the PMx2's are a completely different sound. Like I have said before, it's hard to believe they start off as a pair of PM-2's. The PMx2's are anything but rolled off anywhere! If you are hearing rolled off treble on a pair of PMx2's then something is wrong with them, or they are not PMx2's.

The sound stage is also not small, maybe not as open sounding as a pair of Stax or HD800's.

Jun 27, 2017 at 5:19 AM Post #274 of 393
I've made a video about PMx2v2 first impressions. I've tried to describe difference with v1 and done some quick comparisons with other tops

I'm sorry for accent. Also, I could miss something, as it's a first impression video only
(actually, I didn't mention that earpads here are made of kid leather and are bigger then stock ones)

Aug 8, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #275 of 393
Just been pointed in the direction of this thread - thanks Ray Dude.
Can anyone help clarify if I can get the upgrade done on my PM-1 - and how much it would cost.
I suppose there would also be fairly costly postage to consider too as m based in the UK. But the reviews of this upgrade has certainly whet my appetite.

Aug 8, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #276 of 393
Can anyone help clarify if I can get the upgrade done on my PM-1 - and how much it would cost.
I suppose there would also be fairly costly postage to consider too as m based in the UK. But the reviews of this upgrade has certainly whet my appetite.

Hello Psychonaut71,

After several months of research to decide which headphones would be my next purchase, my choice settled on the PMx2.
Firstly, because they are the most affordable top tier headphones, competing with Utopia, HE1000v2 in several reviews.
You can drive them with a DAP, or a smartphone. You do not need to have a thousand bucks headphone amplifier.
You keep the comfort and design you are used to, if like me you love oppo's products.
Alex from Audio Zenith is an amazing guy, he agreed to received a used PM2 and mod it to PMx2. As for the price, you can find it on his website.
I had the chance to buy a used PM2 from irrefleumas for a very good price, and Alex has accepted to receive the headphone directly to his house from the seller.
It took him a little less than 2 weeks, to mod it and send it to me in France. I should get it hopefully by the end of this week.

By the way, here is how they measure:
1502232826-fabrice.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #277 of 393
Yes you can but why would you? Sell your PM-1's and either buy some PM-2's in the classifieds or buy the complete package from Audio Zenith. I think you'll save yourself some money going this route.

Aug 9, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #278 of 393
Yes you can but why would you? Sell your PM-1's and either buy some PM-2's in the classifieds or buy the complete package from Audio Zenith. I think you'll save yourself some money going this route.
Hadn't considered this option. Will look at prices on their website for new PMx2

Aug 9, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #279 of 393
Aug 9, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #280 of 393
To anyone whos interested, I have the PMx2 version 2 and they are incredible. Well worth the money and even the upgrade from version 1, to me. They are better than version one, which is impressive. Less warm, more clarity, more comfortable. I've had them a few months. These are the only cans I've been 100% happy with. I see no need to buy another headphone, not for at home use at least. They're just amazingly good, trust me. It sounds like you're hearing the music w/o any filter/change to original recording, and they don't need super expensive stuff (I do use an amp at home though) to sound good. Good luck

Aug 9, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #283 of 393
@dpm78 yours have black grilles. Are these still the v2 PM2?
Hello pedalhead,
your question is legit and will help many wondering the same.
From AudioZenith website: "Price for the brand-new Audio Zenith PMx2 (the only one with silver grills) is now $1899.00"
From Alex: "Your set is definitely the latest, version 2. On Audio Zenith website I explained how the exterior colour works. The grilles only painted silver, when PMx2 is ordered brand new. When it's a modification to a customer's pair, grilles stay the same colour. Preparing a used set for a paint job would be too much of an expense and could greatly depend on their existing physical condition. I personally like both colours equally and in the end the sound is all that really matters."

I totally agree with Alex, both colours are nice, and I am totally fine with the black grills.
Edit: Wrong argument "To see the difference between a v1 and a v2, just check the ear pads: velour for v1, leather for v2"

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #284 of 393
Hello pedalhead,
your question is legit and will help many wondering the same.
From AudioZenith website: "Price for the brand-new Audio Zenith PMx2 (the only one with silver grills) is now $1899.00"
From Alex: "Your set is definitely the latest, version 2. On Audio Zenith website I explained how the exterior colour works. The grilles only painted silver, when PMx2 is ordered brand new. When it's a modification to a customer's pair, grilles stay the same colour. Preparing a used set for a paint job would be too much of an expense and could greatly depend on their existing physical condition. I personally like both colours equally and in the end the sound is all that really matters."

I totally agree with Alex, both colours are nice, and I am totally fine with the black grills.
To see the difference between a v1 and a v2, just check the ear pads: velour for v1, leather for v2.
I actually have one of the first if not the first v2's and it has velour pads. I believe Alex made a couple more with velour pads before switching to leather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back