Audio Zenith PMx2 Impressions page
Oct 3, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #301 of 393
I don't have much experience with closed. I have heard LFF Paradox and they were decebt but I didn't love them. I guess if I needed closed due to noise issues I'd probably just opt for a good set of iems, I've heard there are some excellent ones out there that rival open cans especially from noble audio

Oct 3, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #302 of 393
It's great to see that Alex is still making the v2's! I was concerned when the PM-2's were discontinued

I've been absolutely delighted with the combo of the PMx2 v2 and Sennheiser HD-800 (with SRmod). As I mentioned in my crazy long review, one is my headphone wife, and one the mistress :wink:

I'm actually in the market for some closed headphones for work now (I'm now in an open office). I'm leaning toward the MrSpeakers Aeon's, but I haven't had a chance to hear them yet. For fellow PMx2 fans, do you have a favorite model of closed headphones that approximates the tonal signature and low distortion of the PMx2's? (my source is Chord DACs: Mojo, DAVE, and soon Hugo2)

No. I highly doubt there is a closed headphone that exists that will match the PMx2s. That being said, I have the Paradox Slants and the Aeon's, and they're the best I've heard in closed-headphone-land for a while now. I use them at my desk over IEMs when I can.

I don't have much experience with closed. I have heard LFF Paradox and they were decebt but I didn't love them. I guess if I needed closed due to noise issues I'd probably just opt for a good set of iems, I've heard there are some excellent ones out there that rival open cans especially from noble audio

The good set of IEMs is solid advice -- they won't be nearly as good as the PMx2s, but they'll be very portable. I'd recommend something cheap you can toss in a bag in addition to a "good" set.

Oct 3, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #303 of 393
Rynsin - did you upgrade to v2 of the PMx2? Any recommendations for cheaper iems? Id be using them for now with a cell phone so not even sure if it's worth it. Right now I use monks at work they're surprisingly decent for the ten dollars I spent.

Oct 17, 2017 at 1:10 AM Post #304 of 393
Just paid Alex and soon I will finally be like you guyz in owning/using this fabulous headphone.

Just a curiosity what amp are you running these? Read some Raggy. Dave is way beyond my reach.

My chain right now is this:
Android Box (Q10 Pro) w/ LPS running UAPP —> LH Labs Revive -> LH Labs Infinity + LPS4 -> HD600

LH Labs Infinity is like a powerful O2+ODAC.

Looking for a balanced natural sounding amp. But will like to know what you guyz are driving the PMx2s.

Any help? Thanks in advance.

Michael

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 3:37 AM Post #305 of 393
Just paid Alex and soon I will finally be like you guyz in owning/using this fabulous headphone
000d00037932cbadedc3de65e9c9c682.jpg

But will like to know what you guyz are driving the PMx2s.
well, as of something relatively inexpensive — I really like Audinst HUD-DX1 + Burson's V5i OpAmps, really small device, but powerful and musical sound
as of something "more high-end" — I really like Yulong's DA9, to my ears it's kind of synergy with PMx2v2

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #306 of 393
Just paid Alex and soon I will finally be like you guyz in owning/using this fabulous headphone.

Just a curiosity what amp are you running these?

Congrats! I hope you'll be as happy with them as I have been (and I'm sure everyone else in here too).

Regarding amps, I'm in the market too. I think I'm due for an upgrade for my home gear.

As for travel, I just picked up an Astell & Kern AK70 MKII and the PMx2 V1 sounds fantastic using a 2.5mm trrrs balanced cable.
The AK70 MKII outputs 4Vrms through the balanced jack, which drives the PMx2 V1 quite well. I haven't heard the PMx2 out of a Pono yet, but now I'm pretty interested in comparing.

IMG_4436.JPG

Oct 19, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #307 of 393
Exactly one of the reasons why I chose the PMx2s is for travel. I am waiting for a fully tricked out Wave (God knows when it will be coming). Hoping it will be awesome too.

Oct 25, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #308 of 393
Mannn....This cans makes my face sore!

I am smiling all the time...

Oct 29, 2017 at 7:27 AM Post #309 of 393
I have currently visited a local headphone store in order to compare PMx2 rev2 with various full-size competitors (Utopia, LCD4, LCD3, LCDX, HD800/HD800S, T1 gen1, HD600/HD650, Edition X V2 and some others not so worth mentioning). The primary reason behind this visit was to challenge PMx2 rev2 from tonal as well as technical point of view, to find out what I could be missing should I stick with PMx2 rev2 for the years to come. I spent almost 2 hours doing comparisons on Burson Conductor and AK380 (Tidal) which I feel was perfectly adequate to my needs. Upstream gear sounded neutral-enough to my ears and the room was pretty much quiet. Having owned many high-end headphones (including some of those listed above) in the past and being able to directly compare with PMx2 rev2 on well-known audio tracks helped tremendously.

From the tested headphones, only HD650 and Edition X V2 came close to what I would call a versatile/neutral frequency response. HD650 were a bit too present in upper mid region and lacked cleanness in general while Edition X were too present in low to mid treble region and may had sounded a bit hollow. PMx2 rev2 were just spot-on, pretty much perfectly balanced. HD650 is probably the best pick for someone who would want a 'poor man's PMx2' since these two headphones actually hold a very similar character overall.

From the more technical perspective, I enjoyed LCD4 quite a bit. Only these particular Audeze cans seemed considerably superior in particular technicalities compared to PMx2 (the bass clarity and detail, sense of imaging in space and 'club feeling' due to large angled leather pads) while offering not so off tonal balance. Still, I would take PMx2 v2 over them in the end - better tonality, also top tier in SQ, much better construction and ergonomics, much better portability, much lower price.

As I said in my PMx2 rev2 review, I consider them to be a bargain compared to what is on the market currently. For the future to come, I would be interested in hearing Edition X V1 (maybe the treble is less pronounced and therefore the overall signature more full/balanced compared to V2?) and the new Sennheiser HD660S (maybe sounding like HD650 with a bit more clarity and a bit less upper midrange?).

RANDOM NOTES:
  • Another cheaper close-to-neutral headphone I can recommend is HE500, especially when paired with suitable mods to balance 6-12kHz region a bit. For those that value ultimate comfort, Sony MDR-MA900 could be the perfect companion.
  • HD800 and Utopia are very good technically but not so good tonally. I would take modded HD800/HD800S over Utopia honestly since Utopia has a strange midrange tonality and timbre (due to berrylium drivers?) which is something mods cannot fix in my opinion.
  • LCD4 is the only Audeze headphone that is clean, undistorted and detailed enough to be considered true high-end to my ears. LCDX was a disappointment (weird tonality, mediocre SQ) while LCD3 were just 'normal' (not bad by any means but not keeping up with current high-end from SQ point of view). I was surprised how easy it was to hear superiority of LCD4 to LCD3.
  • I managed to confirm to myself again that HD650 is more balanced than HD600.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #310 of 393
I have currently visited a local headphone store in order to compare PMx2 rev2 with various full-size competitors (Utopia, LCD4, LCD3, LCDX, HD800/HD800S, T1 gen1, HD600/HD650, Edition X V2 and some others not so worth mentioning). The primary reason behind this visit was to challenge PMx2 rev2 from tonal as well as technical point of view, to find out what I could be missing should I stick with PMx2 rev2 for the years to come. I spent almost 2 hours doing comparisons on Burson Conductor and AK380 (Tidal) which I feel was perfectly adequate to my needs. Upstream gear sounded neutral-enough to my ears and the room was pretty much quiet. Having owned many high-end headphones (including some of those listed above) in the past and being able to directly compare with PMx2 rev2 on well-known audio tracks helped tremendously.

From the tested headphones, only HD650 and Edition X V2 came close to what I would call a versatile/neutral frequency response. HD650 were a bit too present in upper mid region and lacked cleanness in general while Edition X were too present in low to mid treble region and may had sounded a bit hollow. PMx2 rev2 were just spot-on, pretty much perfectly balanced. HD650 is probably the best pick for someone who would want a 'poor man's PMx2' since these two headphones actually hold a very similar character overall.

From the more technical perspective, I enjoyed LCD4 quite a bit. Only these particular Audeze cans seemed considerably superior in particular technicalities compared to PMx2 (the bass clarity and detail, sense of imaging in space and 'club feeling' due to large angled leather pads) while offering not so off tonal balance. Still, I would take PMx2 v2 over them in the end - better tonality, also top tier in SQ, much better construction and ergonomics, much better portability, much lower price.

As I said in my PMx2 rev2 review, I consider them to be a bargain compared to what is on the market currently. For the future to come, I would be interested in hearing Edition X V1 (maybe the treble is less pronounced and therefore the overall signature more full/balanced compared to V2?) and the new Sennheiser HD660S (maybe sounding like HD650 with a bit more clarity and a bit less upper midrange?).

RANDOM NOTES:
  • Another cheaper close-to-neutral headphone I can recommend is HE500, especially when paired with suitable mods to balance 6-12kHz region a bit. For those that value ultimate comfort, Sony MDR-MA900 could be the perfect companion.
  • HD800 and Utopia are very good technically but not so good tonally. I would take modded HD800/HD800S over Utopia honestly since Utopia has a strange midrange tonality and timbre (due to berrylium drivers?) which is something mods cannot fix in my opinion.
  • LCD4 is the only Audeze headphone that is clean, undistorted and detailed enough to be considered true high-end to my ears. LCDX was a disappointment (weird tonality, mediocre SQ) while LCD3 were just 'normal' (not bad by any means but not keeping up with current high-end from SQ point of view). I was surprised how easy it was to hear superiority of LCD4 to LCD3.
  • I managed to confirm to myself again that HD650 is more balanced than HD600.

I sometimes get the urge to try other headphones because, you know, the grass is always greener, but PMx2 continues to embarrass headphones that cost twice as much.

Alex has nailed the tuning on these and they are hands down the best purchase decision I have made in this hobby. It still amazes me that he could take something as modest as PM2 and create such an accomplished and convincing headphone.

At this stage the only other headphone I would be interested in would be an LFF creation - either Code Sex or whatever comes next.

Thanks @FFRESPONSE.

Looking for a balanced natural sounding amp. But will like to know what you guyz are driving the PMx2s.

Any help? Thanks in advance.

Michael

The RME ADI-2 Pro pairs well with PMx2, especially in balanced mode.

It is a great device. You also get an endgame IEM amp, solid DAC and PRE for controlling a power amp, not to mention DSP and ADC capabilities...

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #311 of 393
Thanks for the advice. It's anniversary edition is wickedly beautiful.

Burning it now, and on my 75th hour w/ my Geek Pulse Infinity. Hoping to make 200. So far so good. It will be paired by a Heimdall 2 cable w/c I bought from the FS section.

You're the second person who suggested me the RME ADI-2 Pro. Hmmm...:thinking:

Waiting however for a Geek Tube hybrid HPA (and God knows when it will arrive).

Oct 29, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #312 of 393
Thanks for the advice. It's anniversary edition is wickedly beautiful.

Burning it now, and on my 75th hour w/ my Geek Pulse Infinity. Hoping to make 200. So far so good. It will be paired by a Heimdall 2 cable w/c I bought from the FS section.

You're the second person who suggested me the RME ADI-2 Pro. Hmmm...:thinking:

Waiting however for a Geek Tube hybrid HPA (and God knows when it will arrive).

Another advantage in RME is that reliability and drivers are rock solid. I have ADI-2 and the AIO PCIe card and neither have missed a beat. LH on the other hand :wink:

But I digress...

Oct 29, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #313 of 393
I sometimes get the urge to try other headphones because, you know, the grass is always greener, but PMx2 continues to embarrass headphones that cost twice as much.

Alex has nailed the tuning on these and they are hands down the best purchase decision I have made in this hobby. It still amazes me that he could take something as modest as PM2 and create such an accomplished and convincing headphone.

At this stage the only other headphone I would be interested in would be an LFF creation - either Code Sex or whatever comes next.

Thanks @FFRESPONSE.

The RME ADI-2 Pro pairs well with PMx2, especially in balanced mode.

It is a great device. You also get an endgame IEM amp, solid DAC and PRE for controlling a power amp, not to mention DSP and ADC capabilities...

After hearing a bunch of TOTL types, it was the OppO PM-1 that stood out the most to me. Not for details, or bass, or anything like that, but its smoothness and musicality. In my heart I wanted the Z1R to be IT . You know. Since I dream of r10 on my head while i cruise around in a f40. This makes me super curious what the PMx2 is like. Anyway, a few r10 owners of the past have also given props to the PMx2, which says a lot. Many of those same r10 owners really went hard on other mid-fi, TOTL cans. But praised the PMx2. I had basically 0 complains on PM-1 so i wonder what the PMx2 does :p

Oct 29, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #314 of 393
Except for the physical attributes of the PM-1's (which I think are outstanding), the PMx2 is completely transformed for the better in every respect: neutral tonality, range, distortion, balance, dynamism, etc. I think 2x is an understatement for how big a step up it is. After you hear the PMx2s, you can hear all the areas where the PM-1's could be better. Amazing to hear them side by side and reflect that they are the same headphones at birth

My review comparing the two and others here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/adv...-head-first-into-the-head-fi-deep-end.824351/ I own one of the first v2's, and Alex actually addressed and exceeded the few nits I cited in my review of the v1's

Nov 2, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #315 of 393
Guys, a week passed by... and another headphone store visit made by me in order to check out HD660S and verify my impressions of Edition X V2 and LCD4. I had like 3 hours with Conductor V2+, AK380, Gungnir 2, Vali 2 and Valhalla 2 this time. I also checked some other phones but not so much to talk about there.

HD660S
I am really disappointed. Instead of 'fixed HD650', Sennheiser released a weird hybrid of HD650 and HD700. Natural bass-to-treble coherency of HD650 is gone because:
  • Bass response is a bit lowered (resulting in a bit 'thinner' tonality subjectively). Here HD660S remind me of HD600.
  • Upper mids are also a bit lowered while response around 6-7kHz stays about the same (resulting in 'hollowness' that reminds me a bit of HD700 or HD800 - that 6-7k peak now stands out)
HD660S still have that HD6XX type of sound in general. That said, their overall tonality is shifted considerably towards unnaturalness without any actual gains in technicalities (HD660 may immediately sound clearer due to a bit different tonality and drivers but they are not really more transparent in practice IMHO).

My personal opinion - buy HD650 for natural tonality or buy HD600 if a bit 'faster' sound is needed. If more room for your ears are needed, buy HD660S pads. Skip HD660S.

Edition X V2
Again, very good tonality. That said, quick toilet paper mod (inserted into pads for decreasing 7-12kHz response a bit) revealed tendency for plastic timbre that is normally partly masked by the slight low to mid treble emphasis. This way I basically simulated for myself how Edition X V1 would sound more or less. Moving on, bass response on EDX is kind of weaker than ideal and that measurable midrange distortion is really detectable after careful listening - both these issues causes by weak magnets I suspect.

I lost interest in EDX V1/V2 in the end. I would even say in the whole brand. Days of HE500/HE6 are long gone.

LCD4
Toilet paper mod is very good for eliminating excessive zinginess of stock LCD4. Once applied, I actually like their tonality quite a bit. Pure and clean sound from bass to treble. Tonality is still not as neutral as with PMx2 (they still have that Audeze house sound/timbre) but short of the zinginess, I really like those LCD4 - this is the sound that I always desired from Audeze.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back