Audiophile Beginner - Portable Gear
Feb 5, 2013 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

MBerger

New Head-Fier
I just began to dive into hi quality sound/equipment a few weeks ago. I'm amazed at what I've been missing out on and how much apple has basically ruined music quality without their consumers even knowing about it. I recently sold my Bose Quiet Comfort 2's and I'm looking to invest in a decent pair of cans. Maybe Sennheiser HD518? I listen to mostly alternative and i guess you can say chill music (John Mayer, Dave Matthews ect.) I would most likely be using them with a SanDisc 8 gig Sansa Clip as a portable player (From research this seems to be an optimal .flac player). I also don't mind carrying around a portable amp. I think a Fiio e10 or e11 would be fitting. Lastly, should I just rip a CD in the highest quality format and put it onto my SanDisc?

Starting to really enjoy this kinda stuff
-Max

Feb 5, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #2 of 11
Whats your Max budget? have you tried rockbox on your sansa player? 

Oh, and welcome to head-fi

Feb 5, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #4 of 11
AKG Q701 with a FiiO E11 for home use. Can't go wrong. I love this setup. No other setup compares to it that I own. I have owned over 15 pairs of headphones since joining Head-Fi last year, and I can't stop recommending these cans enough. They really are that good.

Feb 5, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
thanks!
I haven't even purchased the Sansa yet and my max budget is $350 give or take.

Cool. 
I see that you are coming from a pair of noise cancelling headphones, the Sennheiser HD-25 I II is a good portable can that suit different music genres, good isolation & they are built to last. 

Feb 5, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
Should I use an amp with the Sennheiser HD-25 I II?

You don't absolutely have to, but an amp will certainly bring out the best of them. A decent little amp should do the trick, no need for a big expensive dedicated amp.

Feb 5, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
Should I use an amp with the Sennheiser HD-25 I II?

A bit more oomph is not bad. If you need bass boost get something like the Fiio E11 

Feb 6, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #11 of 11
Just ordered Sennheiser HD-25 I II's and the Sansa Clip+. Im gunna wait to see if I need the Fiio e11. Thanks for all the help guys.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back