audiophile quality albums
Jan 4, 2008 at 7:56 AM Post #79 of 340
The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over
Donald Fagen - The Nightfly

Jan 4, 2008 at 7:59 AM Post #80 of 340
Stop Making Sense - Talking Heads (0-759925186-2) - Very good for dynamics and soundstage. Semi-live concert tracks (1984) are out of sequence from the original stage performance (and the DVD video), but the glass is more than half full and this version is highly recommended.

Jan 4, 2008 at 10:35 AM Post #82 of 340
Definitely x2 on Caravanserai, only the original master though. My other faves would be:

Kamakiriad - Donald Fagen
Aja - Steely Dan
Flashpoint - Rolling Stones (great live recording)
Tearing Sky - Piers Faccini
LOTR soundtrack
Hatful of Hollow - The Smiths
Blade Runner OST - Vangelis (incredibly well done)
The Way Up - Pat Metheny Group (my main demo disc)
Taming the Tiger - Joni Mitchell

Jan 4, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #84 of 340
Some of the Columbia and EMI Jazz and classical releases over the last few years have been really, really good.

My Redbook version of Highway 61 revisited, as an example, sounds warmer and a little more natural than my (admittedly more detailed) SACD version of Blonde on Blonde. Mind you, we're talking different albums and the BoB version I have is the reportedly inferior double-disc edition.

I have Shostakovich's 13th from EMI on redbook (2005 release, I believe?) and the dynamics and especially the attention to detail on the Bass (vocals) are outstanding.

I have before (and will continue to) rave about the LSO Live release on SACD of Bernard Haitink's interpretations of Beethoven's complete symphonies, which are lively in performance and absolutely masterful in their sound.

I'll give another vote for Brubeck's Time Out (incidentally another Columbia release).

Finally, say what you will about post-process, tape-splicing and other studio trickery; there are a LOT of "impure" recordings that, while not exactly reference material from a purist standpoint, are absolutely examples of dynamic, rich and wonderful music that will put your systems to the test in their own right. Hybrid SACD reissues of CAN's catalogue have yet to disappoint, and I would hesitate to say that anyone could fault Miles' Bitches Brew as anything but spectacularly recorded...

Jan 4, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #85 of 340
Michael Hedges - Aerial Boundaries sounds INCREDIBLE on... Anything. Great album too. The guitar and the way he plays it is so incredible.

John Prine - Souvenirs sounds amazing and is a great album for any country fan.

Kelly Joe Phelps - Tunesmith Retrofit is also a good sounding album.

Jan 5, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #86 of 340
Audiophile vinyl is great when you discover it. I've been seeking out the various Record Companies, Recording and Mastering Engineers and even pressing plants for a comprehensive list to pick selections from. Even after several yrs of searching and discussions the list is growing. The hidden gems are discovering stuff that had no mass market release much less reviewed yet the recordings are crystal clear and engaging as well as being obscure.

There are allot of fine suggestions already mentioned in this thread and don't know if I'm repeating anything here but a brief sampling to start would be any 1/2 speed mastered LP's, by Audiophile & MoFi , Analogue Productions, Classic Records(Blue Note), Verve, Columbia 6 Eye, Decca to recent Japanese pressing from Universal and Fontana. Engineers like Rudy Van Gelder, Alan Parsons, and Brian Eno. Mastering by Steve Hoffman, Stan Richter or houses like RTI & Kundun stamped in the inner groove. I may post a list eventually, but perhaps some Supremeus will beat me to it and actually be more comprehensive. BTW, in general many 45's can sound better than their 33.3 counterpart, but that's a whole other can of worms, even 7" & 10" vs 12".

Another point of clarification. 180gm doesn't necessarily mean quality, it has to be HQ Virgin Vinyl. 200gm is usually pretty good. The finer point is that many reissues today by Compact Jazz Series, Scorpio and a few others have done a real lousy job of 180gm pressings, many are warped/cupped, have surface rubs and dimples from being pulled from the press too soon before cooling and also remastered like crap.

Additionally, colored vinyl doesn't necessarily mean audiophile either, a marketing gimmick, and picture discs are worth a couple of good plays but really for collectors.

Finally, vinyl is making a comback, people are paying attention and as a result there has been allot more attention given to the audiophile w/ NEW vinyl releases. So while the market may seem small the SQ has gone up since the 80's when vinyl saw it's demise.

Good Luck, S.L.

P.S. You like White Stripes? Then you're cheating yourself by not buying the vinyl version of "Icky Thump". For only having about 45db of dynamic range, this vinyl will remind you just how impacting it can really be. Note: not many moderate TT systems can fully reproduce Tchaikovsky's 1812 cannons so don't fret if you hear something lacking, it's just an indication that it's that time again to UPGRADE. Likewise, "Icky" will challenge your system too, but with joyful bubbles.

Jan 5, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #87 of 340
I agree about the Icky Thump vinyl - especially considering the horrible butchering of the CD version. It's one of the few instances where I can truly say I cannot enjoy the music unless it's played on record. It has an eclectic quaintness that really plays to the strengths of vinyl, adding a natural space and "live" presentation the CD counterpart could only dream of achieving.

Jan 5, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #88 of 340
2 not yet listed:
51QEXEQK34L._AA240_.jpg

Erich Kunzel & The Cincinnati Pops have, literally, dozens of albums. If fantasy & adventure movie music isn't your cup of tea, they have everything from Star Trek to the industry standard 1812 overture that all other are judged against.
51PZ27EMMGL._AA240_.jpg

How anything with "Mtv" in the title could sound this good is a mystery.

May 25, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #89 of 340
Oranages & Lemons - Tribute to Azumanga Diaoh

This is a wonderful vocal lead album, wonderfully recorded. Even if you don't understand the words it's so whimsical you are sure to enjoy it!

In fact, anything by Itō Masumi or Ueno Yōko (the members of O&L) is worth checking out, and most of it is well recorded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back