AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Nov 13, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #2,386 of 2,529
I appreciate this debate. I will do a new check, with my Nightowl. How does it sound, more precisely, using A) the Audiotailor Jade OTL tube amp, and B) the headphone out on the s-state Teac NT-505 streamer + dac? Since I don't yet have a balanced cable that fits into the two large jack inputs on the front of the Jade, I will use the standard single ended short cable for the Nightowl, with a minjack, into both amps. Just to assure you, I am agnostic when it comes to "balanced"! Sometimes other factors can be more important, yes.
waveSounds: if you had the best single ended amp for the Nightowl, and then got the same amp but now with balanced output - would you say no?
I am not arguing from what I have read from reviewers who have tried the owls balanced, but mainly from my own experience with the Jade, balanced output sounds better through a variety of headphones. Jade users report the same, as you can see from the Jade thread, posted above.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #2,387 of 2,529
Test: Robby Krieger: Chunga's revenge (on: The ritual begins at sundown). A great guitarist playing a classic Zappa track, with a good modern production. It sounds best from LP in my main rig, but the Qobuz stream is also good (24 bit 48 khz).

Nov 13, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #2,388 of 2,529
My understanding is that running low impendence headphones on OTL tube amps will cause them to distort at regular listening volumes. Listen for that...

I would be surprised to hear the Nightowl works well with an OTL. I never tried mine with the Woo Audio WA3 I used to own or my current Bottlehead Crack. Everything I have read on these forums informed me the OTL amp should be reserved for the 300 ohm Sennheisers and ZMFs.

But maybe I have it wrong.

Nov 13, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #2,389 of 2,529
My impressions, so far. This is very interesting indeed. First I tested owls vs hawks on the Jade (both single ended). Not much news, I like both, hawk is more relaxed.
Next I tested the owls on the Teac NT-505. Wow, a quite different experience - and very good! Using the same Krieger / Zappa track, which is useful as test recording.
At first, through the Teac, I thought, this is clearer, the bass is tighter, and the musicians / instrument are more evenly portrayed, the piano is now clearer, etc. I actually thought: there goes the OTL! But then I returned to the Jade, and was no longer so sure. Yes, not quite as clinically informative, more mud, ok. But also - more human, listenable, engaging in the longer run? I thought, yes.

What is great, is that the headphone serves both amps very well. Really enjoyable, in each their way. I am somewhat subjective - I am allergic to "solid state" and also "digital" sound problems. Do I hear much of that, from the Teac? No. But some. It may still be, that running the digital input through an OTL amp, improves the listening experience, the engagement with the music. Maybe, a main factor is that good tubes tend to reduce disharmonic distortion. The Jade only has two tubes, a very classic design, a small 12ax7 driver tube, and a big 6as7 output tube. Clean and minimal. And no output transformer. Combine this with single driver speakers, or a good headphone like the Nigthowl, and you have very good sound, to my ears. Even if maybe not optimal in measurements.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #2,391 of 2,529
I've owned these for 3 years now, and honestly couldn't be happier, idk if I'm going mad but they seem to never stop getting better.

Kinda concerned about the headband bit tho, one side is showing signs of decay :frowning2:

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2022 at 7:01 AM Post #2,392 of 2,529
Subbed! Admittedly I'm more interested in the Porsche Carbon metallic (as worded by Skylar) finish for the NightHawks than the NightOwls per se seeing as they've been described as not being quite as dark and "charming" as the NHs which are the two main reasons I love them but I'll definitely wanna try the NOs out as well.
Basalt Black Metallic is the name of the Porsche color and these are the same exact finish 🙌🏼

Jan 29, 2022 at 7:01 AM Post #2,393 of 2,529
Decay, or wear and tear?

I've had mine for 5 years and two days! (just checked - missed the birthday, lol). They've been well used and although they do show it a little, there's nothing to be concerned about on mine. Still on the original ear pads too which I didn't expect to last this long. The main part showing wear on mine is the stiff 'wire' over the top of the headband, probably because I hang them on a hook by it when not in use, and always pick them up by it too.

When I heard that Audioquest was discontinuing them, I went searching for some spare earpads (UK, no chance - EU, maybe - USA, silly expensive shipping to UK) and ended up buying another full set of the headphones instead, as a backup just in case. One of the very last available it seems; even got them at a discount price from a dealer in Austria. Not needed it yet though.

Best headphones I've ever used.

Jan 29, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #2,394 of 2,529
Decay, or wear and tear?

I've had mine for 5 years and two days! (just checked - missed the birthday, lol). They've been well used and although they do show it a little, there's nothing to be concerned about on mine. Still on the original ear pads too which I didn't expect to last this long. The main part showing wear on mine is the stiff 'wire' over the top of the headband, probably because I hang them on a hook by it when not in use, and always pick them up by it too.

When I heard that Audioquest was discontinuing them, I went searching for some spare earpads (UK, no chance - EU, maybe - USA, silly expensive shipping to UK) and ended up buying another full set of the headphones instead, as a backup just in case. One of the very last available it seems; even got them at a discount price from a dealer in Austria. Not needed it yet though.

Best headphones I've ever used.

It's only on once side of the headband where it connects to the frame that I'm starting to get the decay, all the fake leather bit is starting to peel up. I use them every day though so they've done well I suppose. I hang mine up by the wire too, which is ever so slightly bent out of shape lmao.

Amazon UK still has replacement pads in stock

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0006DP...abc_PQBAZE6AT0YYFWPN5HF0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #2,395 of 2,529
It's only on once side of the headband where it connects to the frame that I'm starting to get the decay, all the fake leather bit is starting to peel up. I use them every day though so they've done well I suppose. I hang mine up by the wire too, which is ever so slightly bent out of shape lmao.

Amazon UK still has replacement pads in stock

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0006DP...abc_PQBAZE6AT0YYFWPN5HF0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Same, the side of my headband - and it's a new one, at that - is starting to peel at the section that's connected to the frame. It's nothing major, but the leather has started to crack. If I move that portion too much, it'll flake - it looks a little like black powder.

Jan 29, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #2,396 of 2,529
I just re-confirmed that the Nightowl and Audiotailor Jade OTL headphone amp is a great combination. I listen mainly to speakers, not headphones, and was in the middle of breaking in some very "puristic" single driver desktop speakers (Arche FR2), when I switched to the Nightowl. Wow, I thought, what a great, problem-free presentation, making me relax and listen to the music, instead of listening to the sound of this or that component! Very glad I managed to get hold of these a year ago (and a pair of Nighthawks).

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #2,397 of 2,529
Had both of these headphones, and absolutely they have a pleasant presentation, but make no mistake, they are quite coloured and rolled off sounding. You get used to the sound and of course you don't get sibilance or harder edges, which is like prozac for the ear, but you certainly are not hearing everything in the intended balance. Just to be clear, I am not a proponent of neutral is best, not at all, I like some colour to my headphones, a little more warmth than neutral and with bass impact. However, once the sound gets too smoothed that becomes too much of a good thing.

As much as I enjoyed Nightowl and to a lesser extent the Nighthawk, eventually my brain was craving what was missing. It took a little time to get my hearing brain used to better balanced frequency relationship/presentation than you get from these headphones, but when I started using objectively better balanced headphones and tried going back to the Audioquest offerings I couldn't really enjoy them very much again. Just too much attenuation. It is non-offensive, but it is too smoothed over and while warm and comforting, there is a great deal of detail that is either hard to perceive due to the smoothing, or it is still audible, but changed.

You lose a great deal of transient information with this smoothing, IMO. We all gravitate to and enjoy things through our personal lens so while these aspects of the Audioquest signatures for me became a detriment they may be a positive for others. And just to finally tie things up, I do not like bright headphones either, some smoothness is often in order because a great deal of music isn't really that well recorded and some smoothing may be beneficial, especially at louder playback volume which I tend to prefer. As I said though, for me the Nightowl and Hawk are just a little too smoothed over and they end up being, for me, not very engaging. I fully get that others simply love that about them and more power to you if you've found your sound.

And for those who are currently wired into the sound of the Owl and Hawk, if you are ever tempted to try other signatures, you can't go back and forth. The Owl and Hawk are quite coloured and if you have been using them for any appreciable period of time, your brain is now for lack of a better metaphor, addicted to the colour. The first time you start listening to more balanced presentations they will sound jarringly different and your brain will want what it knows. That happened to me. However, if you stop using the Owl or Hawk for a few weeks, completely stop using them, and let your brain acclimate to a different signature, when you put the Owl and Hawk back on you will notice what you haven't been hearing. That isn't a guarantee that you will prefer the difference, maybe you will, maybe you won't, depends on the headphones that you try as an alternative.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #2,399 of 2,529
For critical listening, I mainly use speakers. This is not my primary goal with these headphones. And, I don't think they are that "coloured", driven by my OTL amp.

Jan 29, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #2,400 of 2,529
Had both of these headphones, and absolutely they have a pleasant presentation, but make no mistake, they are quite coloured and rolled off sounding. You get used to the sound and of course you don't get sibilance or harder edges, which is like prozac for the ear, but you certainly are not hearing everything in the intended balance. Just to be clear, I am not a proponent of neutral is best, not at all, I like some colour to my headphones, a little more warmth than neutral and with bass impact. However, once the sound gets too smoothed that becomes too much of a good thing.

As much as I enjoyed Nightowl and to a lesser extent the Nighthawk, eventually my brain was craving what was missing. It took a little time to get my hearing brain used to better balanced frequency relationship/presentation than you get from these headphones, but when I started using objectively better balanced headphones and tried going back to the Audioquest offerings I couldn't really enjoy them very much again. Just too much attenuation. It is non-offensive, but it is too smoothed over and while warm and comforting, there is a great deal of detail that is either hard to perceive due to the smoothing, or it is still audible, but changed.

You lose a great deal of transient information with this smoothing, IMO. We all gravitate to and enjoy things through our personal lens so while these aspects of the Audioquest signatures for me became a detriment they may be a positive for others. And just to finally tie things up, I do not like bright headphones either, some smoothness is often in order because a great deal of music isn't really that well recorded and some smoothing may be beneficial, especially at louder playback volume which I tend to prefer. As I said though, for me the Nightowl and Hawk are just a little too smoothed over and they end up being, for me, not very engaging. I fully get that others simply love that about them and more power to you if you've found your sound.

And for those who are currently wired into the sound of the Owl and Hawk, if you are ever tempted to try other signatures, you can't go back and forth. The Owl and Hawk are quite coloured and if you have been using them for any appreciable period of time, your brain is now for lack of a better metaphor, addicted to the colour. The first time you start listening to more balanced presentations they will sound jarringly different and your brain will want what it knows. That happened to me. However, if you stop using the Owl or Hawk for a few weeks, completely stop using them, and let your brain acclimate to a different signature, when you put the Owl and Hawk back on you will notice what you haven't been hearing. That isn't a guarantee that you will prefer the difference, maybe you will, maybe you won't, depends on the headphones that you try as an alternative.

I'm a noob in this world, what would the polar opposite to these be?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back