Auditioned STAX new SR-009
Jun 2, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #46 of 55
She doesn't know it. Maybe I should put the photo of her sticking out her tongue.

Jun 2, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #47 of 55
Haha, that is awesome Currawong. Your daughter is very lucky in many ways.
o2smile.gif

Jun 2, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #48 of 55

Quote:
Interesting news about the SR009, got a heads up on my pre-order that Stax is stopping production and delaying for a couple of months while they correct an issue that came up with some of the headphones ("about 12% of SR-009 developed noises due to microscopic dust between the stator and the film... Stax is currently revising the design and solving the problem.  Shipment will resume within 60 days").

It's precisely due to things like these that I decided to place my order from a US Authorized STAX retailer instead of going to the PriceJapan route.  Initial batches of new production is always fraught with unforeseen issues, potential risks.  For a few hundred dollars worth of initial savings, should there be a warranty issue like this, I would have had to send it back to STAX Japan thru the Japanese retailer. 

Bummer.  But they will get it right in time, I'm sure.

Edit:  10 seconds after I've posted this, I got an email from Elusive Disc who passed it along from Yamas Inc, their distributor.  Seems like they already have a design revision ready, but they need further testing whether it eliminates the problem.

[size=10.5pt]
[size=10pt]Bob,[/size][/size]

[size=10.5pt]
[size=10pt]Apologize for the delayed response.  STAX has temporary halted the shipment of SR-009 due to noise issue in their 1st production lot. [/size][/size]

[size=10.5pt]
[size=10pt]The decision was made on the 27th just before our shipment departed. Up to 12% of the units developed noise, microscopic dust between the stator and film are to be causing the problem and a revision is being applied along with adding vibration during testing. STAX stated shipping should resume within 60 days. [/size][/size]

[size=10.5pt]
[size=10pt]So far, no official products shipped outside of Japan for sale.[/size][/size]

[size=10.5pt]
[size=10pt]Again, we apologize given the news. We will update you again as it become available.[/size][/size]

[size=10.5pt]
[size=10pt] [/size][/size]

[size=10.5pt]
[size=10pt]Should you have any questions, please contact us again.[/size][/size]

[size=10.5pt]

[size=10.5pt]
[size=10pt]Respectfully,[/size][/size]

[size=10.5pt]

[size=10.5pt]
[size=10pt]Tats Yamanashi[/size][/size]

[size=10.5pt]
[size=10pt]Yama’s Enterprises, Inc.[/size][/size]

Jun 2, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #49 of 55

To Stax amp owners - would there be improvement if I disable the volume function on the 727 as stated in the instruction manual and add a high end pre amp to the chain, i.e. using the 727 only as a power amp to drive the 009?

Jun 3, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #50 of 55
I tried a 717 using an active pre (my Phoenix) and didn't like the results. Might be worth a try first with the volume on the 727 maxxed out before you do anything else.

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #51 of 55
Hello,

I just bought a pair of SR-009s... my first electrostatic can.  Will definitely be a huge improvement over my Grado 125s !

I am contemplating the driver, and am leaning towards the Stax 727 A/II, as it seems to be a better overall pair vs. the 007 tube amp.

My question is does anyone know where I can get a better power supply put into the 727?  It seems like this can be a low cost way to improve the sound of the 727.

Many thanks,

Sergio

Oct 15, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #52 of 55
Hello Warp08 and other SR009 owners.

A few years ago, I noticed a perceptible sound improvement with my SR Sigma after removing the piece of cloth -some sort of grid- inside the earpieces (between the ears and the electrodes I think) -do you see what I mean? I don't know the right term for this item. It was just like removing the fabric front part of a loudspeaker, like anybody would do.

With the SR007, this can be easily done -for maintenance purposes I think. But with the SR009 I own, there seem to be be no such possibility: parts are firmly  secured. Hence my question: has anyone removed this piece of cloth on a SR009? Is it possible without damaging the earpieces?

Best regards to all of you.

Oct 15, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #53 of 55
Quote:
Hello Warp08 and other SR009 owners.

A few years ago, I noticed a perceptible sound improvement with my SR Sigma after removing the piece of cloth -some sort of grid- inside the earpieces (between the ears and the electrodes I think) -do you see what I mean? I don't know the right term for this item. It was just like removing the fabric front part of a loudspeaker, like anybody would do.

With the SR007, this can be easily done -for maintenance purposes I think. But with the SR009 I own, there seem to be be no such possibility: parts are firmly  secured. Hence my question: has anyone removed this piece of cloth on a SR009? Is it possible without damaging the earpieces?

Best regards to all of you.

You should ask mwilson, but looking at his post here, you probably need to remove the earpad to access the cover because it looks like a pretty tight fit with possibly circular metal ring to keep the cover tension: http://www.head-fi.org/t/609792/ants-in-my-stax-should-i-worry/30#post_8419063

Also, not sure it is a good idea to remove that cover, maybe not so much in regards to dust (although this is certainly part of the protection besides the screen) but especially to driver damping / high frequency absorption in the earcup. Without it, the SR009 likely sounds even brighter, which is not quite the direction I would personally want it to go to...

May 8, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #55 of 55
I tried it once, Just once with my xperia z phone out n Stax amp...

And oh boyy, it sound so good! So real, the bass so perfect from a headphone, the mid is like real life n treble sound so full!

I can't imagine if I use a better DAC amp!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back