Auditioned the Sony MDR-XB500 and call me IMPRESSED. Unboxing Video.
Jan 13, 2012 at 9:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

DjAmTraX

Now known as: HiFiGuy528
XB500 unboxing.

As you guys know, I have the XB700 & XB1000.  Today was the first time I auditioned the XB500.  I heard them through a Sony top of the line Walkman with full touch screen.  I don't know the model, but it's nice in the hand.  I have to say that I was so impressed by the XB500 I bought it at FULL retail at a Sony Style store.  I am on vacation and will be back next week.  It appears that Sony is having some inventory issues with the XB series.  Looks to be out of stock everywhere online.  Anyone here noticed that?  Perhaps the floods in Thailand is effecting the production.  I hope they are not killing the XB line.

If you missed my unboxing of the XB700 & XB1000.

Jan 13, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #2 of 25

Quote:
I was so impressed by the XB500

Really ?
biggrin.gif

Its not a bad headphone, but apart from punchy bass and the fact that its a very efficient headphone...

Well, i suppose if you are a basshead, XB500 seems to fulfill its primary function.

Jan 13, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #3 of 25
It may be bass heavy, but it's an exciting sound.

Jan 13, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #5 of 25

Quote:
Are you looking to buy an xb500? I have a new pair for sale xD

I bought a fresh pair at the Sony Style store where I auditioned the Xb500.  I'm sure yours will sell FAST because everyone on the web is out of stock on it.  Those who has it are asking top dollars for it.

Jan 13, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #6 of 25
I also was really impressed with it when I EQed down the bass a LOT. Pretty amazing for the price when listening to some violin music. Think it was in the naqoyqatsi soundtrack. I think I had only paid about $35 for them! It's too bad many people are not willing to EQ them. I personally think they sound extremely muffled and unlistenable without any EQ. Way, way too much bass bleed. It seems this happens with way too many bass heavy headphones.

Jan 14, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #7 of 25

Quote:

I bought a fresh pair at the Sony Style store where I auditioned the Xb500.  I'm sure yours will sell FAST because everyone on the web is out of stock on it.  Those who has it are asking top dollars for it.

Why is that? I was recently on the hunt for XB500s or XB700s, but couldn't find them anywhere. I just happened to run into a pair at staples though and payed full price. On the staples website though, they're running for like $150!

Jan 14, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #8 of 25

Quote:
Why is that? I was recently on the hunt for XB500s or XB700s, but couldn't find them anywhere. I just happened to run into a pair at staples though and payed full price. On the staples website though, they're running for like $150!

went to a best buy today to try them, i was impressed as well. but. none in stock. only the demo. went to two other ones and same scenario.

Jan 14, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #9 of 25
I think XB500 are impressive once EQ'd as they respond extremely well to EQ changes. Lots of characteristics in it is great for the price it's the frequency response balance which is the weakest link (resolution isn't really that impressive either) which luckily it responds well to when EQing. Out of stock it's nothing special IMO except like previously said, the bass impact & efficiency (these are the loudest easiest driven headphones I've ever heard). For example when paired with a ZO2 amp I have to set source volume to 10% with these and this is just a $100 amp... I could probably hear it outdoors if I turned it up to 100%! xD

Jan 14, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #10 of 25
I am really not a fan of EQing, not saying it's right or wrong.  I like to hear what the headphones were designed to do.  Since there is no ONE perfect headphones, I have different headphones for different genre of music.

Jan 20, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #11 of 25
MDR-XB500 Unboxing uploaded.  I showed a comparison view between the XB500, XB700 & XB1000.  

Jan 20, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #12 of 25
BTW you're opening it wrong! Just stick out the plastic clips at the back at the top, you don't have to destroy the package! xD Stop blaming the package if you don't know how to open it. :p

I got my XB500 package intact. :)

Jan 20, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #13 of 25

Quote:
BTW you're opening it wrong! Just stick out the plastic clips at the back at the top, you don't have to destroy the package! xD Stop blaming the package if you don't know how to open it. :p

I got my XB500 package intact. :)

Now I feel dumb.  Thanks for the tip! 

Jan 20, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #14 of 25

Quote:
Now I feel dumb.  Thanks for the tip! 

Well Sony changes the packages all the time and use different packages for US and europe etc so it doesn't NECESSARILY have to be the same but I think I did spot plastic clips at the top at the back and then you can probably open it up from there I'm guessing. For me it had 4 plastic clips at the back on each edge.

EDIT: Yea now I saw it more clearly just as you were pulling the headphones out you can clearly see there that you can open it without destroying it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back