Aune S17 pro
Dec 13, 2023 at 9:59 PM Post #631 of 2,373
My device's temperature never reached 69 degrees, but it stopped at 66-67 degrees.
To reduce it and improve the ventilation of the device, I used the legs ISO-PUCK mini from IsoAcoustics.
https://isoacoustics.com/pro-audio-isolation-products/iso-puck-series/

As a result, the rate of temperature increase decreased markedly and after an hour and a half of using the device, the temperature reached a level of 58 degrees, not 68 degrees, as before.

I installed the legs exactly at the location of the regular legs of the device, exactly on top of them.
The fastening turned out to be very reliable and of high quality.
Just wondering what was your room temperature. I am not having same kind of luck on temperature side of story.

Dec 14, 2023 at 12:22 AM Post #632 of 2,373
I tested out the Cooler Master NotePal X-Slim and would not recommend it for the purposes of cooling this amp. The fan is too loud and there is no speed control, so it's being returned.

I purchased the Notepal I300 cooler with a speed control dial (leedong's recommendation) from eBay, but the seller is in Israel. Thankfully I received a FedEx tracking number a few days after my purchase and it's currently in transit, so the seller is legit. I couldn't find this being sold in the US as it's now a discontinued product.
I received the Notepal I300 (LED version) today and unfortunately it does not have a fan speed dial. It is quieter than the NotePal X-Slim, but I would like it quieter. I am going to try this: https://www.amazon.com/Maxmoral-Dimmer-Switch-Extension-Controller/dp/B0BLSB2YQR

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 7:06 AM Post #633 of 2,373
Got mine today. For the feel and looks alone, I feel it was an absolute steal! Just one question if someone can help: do the included rubber feet have screws underneath so I can attach some third party feet? I'm afraid of damaging the unit while removing the original feet.

Dec 14, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #634 of 2,373
Btw, my unit has the two step volume (I would not even notice if hadn't read about it here). For anyone wanting to know how it performs regarding the heating in summer (here is winter but at night the temperature is 25 °C), it reached 69 °C after 1 hour and went from 100ma to 50ma for protection. Using with raised feet and listening in high gain, Chord Mojo 2 into RCA and, for now, single ended 1/4 headphone cable. Headphones are Hifiman Arya Stealth and listening around volume 50 in high gain (I guess it would be significantly lower volume if I used balanced cable). The temperature seems to take as long to go down as it took to go up.

Dec 14, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #637 of 2,373
Dec 14, 2023 at 8:35 PM Post #638 of 2,373
🤔 …? put Aune S17 Pro in upper section of this:
BB422EBE-3C1A-484A-A2E3-A56484EF3AB8.jpeg
… with a front semi-circular left cutaway for the headphone cable? The lower section is left, of course, for favourite listening libations. 👍

Dec 14, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #639 of 2,373
Hi, I have Arya Organic and Radiance, normal listening volume on low gain (balanced in (5.2V), balanced out) is 10 to 15, 20 is loud for me (for short time only). Radiance 2 to 3 steps lower then Arya. Radiance on 1 can be too loud for quiet listening.. the sound is great, best amp for me to date (had Singxer sda2, audio gd master 19, smsl sh9, burson conductor 3xR, earmen Champ).
Hi! I’m currently trying to pick one between Audio-GD Master 19 and Aune S17 Pro. Which one do you prefer and why?

Dec 14, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #640 of 2,373
Here is my take on single unit of S17 Pro I received 3 days ago so bear in mind this is for single unit. With the discussion and findings here, I specifically had thoughts to go through all the scenario mentioned and was able to see what is going on on this UNIT... with bias for my usage.
Equipment: Denafrips Ares 12th-1 -> S17 Pro -> HE1000SE... I just received DanClark Audio E3 yesterday and been using that to test after that.

Good: This combo was improvement in sound from Aune S9c (for HE1000SE). I definitely got a little more staging as if I didn't already have a lot of it. I think clarity was about same or I couldn't tell difference. There was a little more dynamic on music that I didn't expect to see. I am partial to think this was more of DAC change but I haven't A/B'd. Over all, the sound quality was definitely uptick in my opinion and this stood out to me more on tracks that had compositions that had more going on at same time. Piano solo definitely saw improvement. Now this is all subjective. Very happy with the quality of sound with this setup. Oh, the volume control has 64 steps which I thought was originally 100 steps? It at least has 32 actual steps from observing with my ears. (well, I can't verify extremely low as I don't have something that sensitive. I don't think volume control would be problem for most headphone users.

Not so good: Temperature. I've been keeping close monitoring on temps stabilization. It will settle to certain temp either I am playing music or not. I left it on for the whole time pretty much. It doesn't feel like using different headphone changes the temp at all between HE1000SE and E3. one I was listening at volume 30 while the other is volume 40 most of time. Here are few things it ended up settling down.
Stock Setting: 50mA Ambient 25-26c temp settles at 67c.
Stock Setting: 100mA Ambient 25-26c temp goes over 68 and goes to 50mA mode rather quickly... depending on what temp I started from, it could be as quick as 10 minutes.
Raised extra 17mm: 50mA Ambient 25-26c temp settles at 65c.
Raised extra 17mm:100mA Ambient 25-26c temp goes over 68c a little later. Still goes over... in fact, this happened when ambient went down to 23c toward night time.
Out of curiosity I did put Coolermaster massive 20RGB cooling pad under and run it at slowest fan setting... it is 200mm fan so rather quiet at slowest speed. However, I can still hear it.... It still is more of noise generator than my desktop machine with good CPU and GPU combo (I tend to make my settings as quiet as I can).
Raised extra 17mm with Fan: 50mA Ambient 25-26c temp settles at 57c. About 10c reduction.
Raised extra 17mm with Fan: 50mA Ambient 25-26c temp settles at 65c. Actually have been holding this for last 3 hours.
Now, this tells me few things... 1) Aune was thinking 69c as cut off for safety of unit. If I am using it as stock on 50mA... summer comes, I would most likely go hit that all the time (my room temp fluctuates between 27-29c) That is no go. 2) Feet helps a little. Not much but it does. 3) Basically from what I see, the unit probably is usable with fan under or such. I would imagine something that can flow about 20-30cfm through the amp probably can make this happen. Considering we are lowering temp by cooling the surface , granted there is no heatsink glued to case from internal component, I am more partial to think that this design is keeping heat in and overloading it.
For me, this is no go. For someone using this in office setting where it would always be low 20C temp... maybe.

The Ugly: 4.4mm Jack on my unit is not usable. Contact is very fidgety and best I can do getting both channel (I got my E3 with 4.4mm cable), I get less than half the volume. I am currently using it using XLR->4.4mm adapter to bypass this issue but it is defective unit. Now, this is unit of 1 but I can't believe this passed QA process if there was any.

Now, keep in mind that this is one unit I looked into. I've reached out to where I bought it from for some help. I will probably move on to different amp considering how hot it runs in my situation already unless my unit just happens to be running hotter than norm. I have no intention of spending more money and effort to get things that are not working work when that is not what I paid for. (if you look at Aune page, they were supposed to be running 25c for 100mA for 24 hours... my unit definitely can't do that).
It was disappointing for me as I really enjoyed their S9c with 0 problems and great sound... while sound quality improved, I am also spending two to three times more and getting uncertainty on reliability and quality on product. It seems like there are people who are not having issues I've had. I am glad we have forum to discuss this type of things.

PS) Just now, I was swapping headphone to compare and realized my amp froze... the control stopped working (amp still works). Wonder if it is heat related.... as engineer myself that came to my mind first.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 10:27 PM Post #641 of 2,373
Here is my take on single unit of S17 Pro I received 3 days ago so bear in mind this is for single unit. With the discussion and findings here, I specifically had thoughts to go through all the scenario mentioned and was able to see what is going on on this UNIT... with bias for my usage.
Equipment: Denafrips Ares 12th-1 -> S17 Pro -> HE1000SE... I just received DanClark Audio E3 yesterday and been using that to test after that.

Good: This combo was improvement in sound from Aune S9c (for HE1000SE). I definitely got a little more staging as if I didn't already have a lot of it. I think clarity was about same or I couldn't tell difference. There was a little more dynamic on music that I didn't expect to see. I am partial to think this was more of DAC change but I haven't A/B'd. Over all, the sound quality was definitely uptick in my opinion and this stood out to me more on tracks that had compositions that had more going on at same time. Piano solo definitely saw improvement. Now this is all subjective. Very happy with the quality of sound with this setup. Oh, the volume control has 64 steps which I thought was originally 100 steps? It at least has 32 actual steps from observing with my ears. (well, I can't verify extremely low as I don't have something that sensitive. I don't think volume control would be problem for most headphone users.

Not so good: Temperature. I've been keeping close monitoring on temps stabilization. It will settle to certain temp either I am playing music or not. I left it on for the whole time pretty much. It doesn't feel like using different headphone changes the temp at all between HE1000SE and E3. one I was listening at volume 30 while the other is volume 40 most of time. Here are few things it ended up settling down.
Stock Setting: 50mA Ambient 25-26c temp settles at 67c.
Stock Setting: 100mA Ambient 25-26c temp goes over 68 and goes to 50mA mode rather quickly... depending on what temp I started from, it could be as quick as 10 minutes.
Raised extra 17mm: 50mA Ambient 25-26c temp settles at 65c.
Raised extra 17mm:100mA Ambient 25-26c temp goes over 68c a little later. Still goes over... in fact, this happened when ambient went down to 23c toward night time.
Out of curiosity I did put Coolermaster massive 20RGB cooling pad under and run it at slowest fan setting... it is 200mm fan so rather quiet at slowest speed. However, I can still hear it.... It still is more of noise generator than my desktop machine with good CPU and GPU combo (I tend to make my settings as quiet as I can).
Raised extra 17mm with Fan: 50mA Ambient 25-26c temp settles at 57c. About 10c reduction.
Raised extra 17mm with Fan: 50mA Ambient 25-26c temp settles at 65c. Actually have been holding this for last 3 hours.
Now, this tells me few things... 1) Aune was thinking 69c as cut off for safety of unit. If I am using it as stock on 50mA... summer comes, I would most likely go hit that all the time (my room temp fluctuates between 27-29c) That is no go. 2) Feet helps a little. Not much but it does. 3) Basically from what I see, the unit probably is usable with fan under or such. I would imagine something that can flow about 20-30cfm through the amp probably can make this happen. Considering we are lowering temp by cooling the surface , granted there is no heatsink glued to case from internal component, I am more partial to think that this design is keeping heat in and overloading it.
For me, this is no go. For someone using this in office setting where it would always be low 20C temp... maybe.

The Ugly: 4.4mm Jack on my unit is not usable. Contact is very fidgety and best I can do getting both channel (I got my E3 with 4.4mm cable), I get less than half the volume. I am currently using it using XLR->4.4mm adapter to bypass this issue but it is defective unit. Now, this is unit of 1 but I can't believe this passed QA process if there was any.

Now, keep in mind that this is one unit I looked into. I've reached out to where I bought it from for some help. I will probably move on to different amp considering how hot it runs in my situation already unless my unit just happens to be running hotter than norm. I have no intention of spending more money and effort to get things that are not working work when that is not what I paid for. (if you look at Aune page, they were supposed to be running 25c for 100mA for 24 hours... my unit definitely can't do that).
It was disappointing for me as I really enjoyed their S9c with 0 problems and great sound... while sound quality improved, I am also spending two to three times more and getting uncertainty on reliability and quality on product. It seems like there are people who are not having issues I've had. I am glad we have forum to discuss this type of things.
I really am considering this amp, but the heat thing is wild. I personally don't ever need to use 100amp, as I am a quiet listener. Does that mean the temp will go up all the time for me? And what will happen when the temps hit 25 degrees, Celsius in the summertime?

And what will happen in the hot climates come summer?

Can't wait to see what happens. For now, I will hold off.

Dec 14, 2023 at 10:51 PM Post #642 of 2,373
I really am considering this amp, but the heat thing is wild. I personally don't ever need to use 100amp, as I am a quiet listener. Does that mean the temp will go up all the time for me? And what will happen when the temps hit 25 degrees, Celsius in the summertime?

The 100 MA setting has got nothing to do with how loud you listen. It indicates the class A bias. It sounds slightly more refined than when it is set to 50 MA.

Dec 14, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #643 of 2,373
The 100 MA setting has got nothing to do with how loud you listen. It indicates the class A bias. It sounds slightly more refined than when it is set to 50 MA.
I didn't say it did. I am saying that I am a quiet listener that would rarely listen to high gain and would avoid the 100 amps if it raised temperatures quicker.

Dec 15, 2023 at 12:27 AM Post #644 of 2,373
I didn't say it did. I am saying that I am a quiet listener that would rarely listen to high gain and would avoid the 100 amps if it raised temperatures quicker.
With your statement “personally don't ever need to use 100amp, as I am a quiet listener” you presume a relation between the ‘bias current level’ (50mA or 100mA) and the music ‘volume’, which is not the case.
High Gain and High Bias are two different things, the first raises the output volume the latter raises/changes the music quality.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 12:34 AM Post #645 of 2,373

What has using the 100amp got to do with being a quiet listener? I suggest you hold off from buying products that you don't understand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back