Aune S17 pro
Jan 24, 2024 at 1:23 PM Post #1,186 of 2,373
A Class A amplifier is colder when is in use, because part of the current is use to overpass the resistance (Ohm) of the headphone. Not using it, will transform all the current (which is always at the maximum in these gears) in just heat.
This is what I understood.
That's why your unit, vf1ss, will probably reach @65 degrees or so when you use it, not when you don't use it.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 1:38 PM Post #1,187 of 2,373
A Class A amplifier is colder when is in use, because part of the current is use to overpass the resistance (Ohm) of the headphone. Not using it, will transform all the current (which is always at the maximum in these gears) in just heat.
This is what I understood.
That's why your unit, vf1ss, will probably reach @65 degrees or so when you use it, not when you don't use it.

cismax: Thanks a lot for this input. It's very helpful. Yes, I totally agree with what you stated above Class A amplifiers. Just to clarify, in my case, whether or not I attach a headphone cable or am using the S17 Pro to drive a headphone, it doesn't make much of a difference in the temperature behaviour. It will still reach 69 degrees in 100mA mode within about 90 minutes regardless. But I also think that should be what is expected in terms of behaviour of a Class A amplifier. I've read some comments that their S17 Pro seems to be load dependent and exhibit lower temperatures when no cable is plugged in and I am having trouble understanding for a Class A amplifier, how that can be the expected behaviour.

One point I want to clarify is to keep my specific unit at 65 degrees, I have to use an external fan to cool it from underneath. If I do not use a fan, I cannot use 100mA continuously as it will reach 69 degrees and automatically switch back to 50mA mode within 90 minutes from power on at room temperature.

@Aune Audio: I absolutely love the sound of this amplifier. If you see this message, can you let me know by design if there is risk of long term damage to the unit if it is consistently run about about 65 degrees C? Thank you.

Jan 25, 2024 at 6:10 PM Post #1,189 of 2,373
I just received and setup the A17. Running it at 100ma setting on my Hifiman HE1000’s and ZMF Auteurs and it sounds great. Temperate is at 55 after 1 hour so no worries about the heat so far.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 2:36 AM Post #1,190 of 2,373
Aune should never have indicated the temperature on front of the device. That is an open invitation to OCD.

The volume control may have been poorly implemented on some units but apparently that is being rectified.

Heat sinking could be better, the standard feet supplied with this unit are ridiculous. It needs to be elevated a bit for cooling. Money has also clearly been saved by not having better heat sinking in the basic design. The envelope has clearly been pushed in order to offer optimal value for money.

The display should be able to be turned off.

Those things being said the S17 is a tremendous bargain in terms of sound quality and it is a product that I had been waiting a long time for. I have had one for a while and it has preformed impeccably. It is dead silent, even with iems. I enjoy it very much and it it a big step up compared to any headphone amp that I have owned. It is also the best preamp I have had in my system.

Jan 26, 2024 at 9:25 AM Post #1,192 of 2,373
Heat sinking could be better, the standard feet supplied with this unit are ridiculous. It needs to be elevated a bit for cooling. Money has also clearly been saved by not having better heat sinking in the basic design. The envelope has clearly been pushed in order to offer optimal value for money.
I doubt that anyone in this thread (except perhaps Aune) would disagree with this. I'm no engineer, but Aune was undoubtedly very aware of the heat problem as evidenced by implementing the automatic switch to 50 mA operation but someone obviously insisted that they use their long standard S series chassis with minimal changes. I'm assuming that adding more substantial feet and more venting (let's be honest, probably a lot more venting) on the top and/or sides would still have left the MSRP of the S17 well south of $1K USD and it would have still been a major bargain. OTOH, adding taller feet (which I have already done) and an inexpensive fan (not needed yet since I have never yet exceeded 64-65° even after many hours of use in the winter but may be required in the summer) is cheap, although adding the fan would be a slight nuisance for me

Jan 26, 2024 at 10:37 AM Post #1,193 of 2,373
Aune should never have indicated the temperature on front of the device. That is an open invitation to OCD.

The volume control may have been poorly implemented on some units but apparently that is being rectified.

The display should be able to be turned off.

Those things being said the S17 is a tremendous bargain in terms of sound quality and it is a product that I had been waiting a long time for. I have had one for a while and it has preformed impeccably. It is dead silent, even with iems. I enjoy it very much and it it a big step up compared to any headphone amp that I have owned. It is also the best preamp I have had in my system.
I concur with everything you have say my friend, that been said, I think there's not such thing as a free lunch, there's many things in the amp that are sub-optimal imho, I hope that in a second iteration of this product the fix all of the issues that this unit has and everything that has been mentioned so far in this thread, even though that might increase the price of this product.

I believe that Aune is trying really hard to offer "affordable" high end audio equipment that's trying to stay as far away of the psychological barrier that's the $1k price tag and I'm very happy with my S17 so far, there's annoying aspects and issues with this amp and there's seem to be some QC given the unit variance that has been observe in this very thread, that been said, at this price and given how the audiophile market is at the moment, there's nothing below $1k that can match this amp both in performance and SC, everything that matches or surpasses this amp both in performance and SC is above $1k mark, possibly more.

Jan 26, 2024 at 10:40 AM Post #1,194 of 2,373
The only thing that annoys me is that the Aune responds to the remote from the Gustard a26 and changes the volume, also an on/off switch on the front would be useful....
Other than that, in terms of sound, it won me over the more expensive amps.
It never exceeded the maximum temperature ...
I have the same issue with the remote's for both my SMSL DAC and my Klipsch speakers, the either increase or lower the volume on the amp whenever I use them.

Jan 26, 2024 at 12:31 PM Post #1,195 of 2,373
Good evening everyone, I too am one of the happy owners of AUNE S17 Pro. I have a few questions that interest me. If I understand correctly, you can only turn the device off using the switch at the back. Is there another option...and if not...how did you solve the "problem"? The second question is more of a technical nature...I currently use two headphones the most, these are the HD650 and the Arya Stealth. When I switch the amplifier between 50mA and 100mA, I don't hear any difference, but I can hear something switching in the amplifier. Why is that? Greetings

Jan 26, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #1,196 of 2,373
Good evening everyone, I too am one of the happy owners of AUNE S17 Pro. I have a few questions that interest me. If I understand correctly, you can only turn the device off using the switch at the back. Is there another option...and if not...how did you solve the "problem"? The second question is more of a technical nature...I currently use two headphones the most, these are the HD650 and the Arya Stealth. When I switch the amplifier between 50mA and 100mA, I don't hear any difference, but I can hear something switching in the amplifier. Why is that? Greetings
For how long have you burn in your amp?

I have stated before in this very thread that with my pair of HD650 after running them for a week or so on 100ma on high end, the sound of this amp came on it's own, so I recommend that you run the amp using high impedance cans at full tilt for a while and see if you notice a difference.

Jan 26, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #1,197 of 2,373
For how long have you burn in your amp?

I have stated before in this very thread that with my pair of HD650 after running them for a week or so on 100ma on high end, the sound of this amp came on it's own, so I recommend that you run the amp using high impedance cans at full tilt for a while and see if you notice a difference.
I've been using it since this morning :dt880smile:

Jan 26, 2024 at 1:13 PM Post #1,198 of 2,373
I've been using it since this morning :dt880smile:
You need to burn in the amp for at least a couple of weeks before it comes into it's own sound wise and I recommend you use your HD650 for this process, don't turn it off at all during this time and just keep a pair of headphones running on them(again, preferably the HD650), playing on the back ground using 100ma at high gain to the point that you would considere this a loud listening volume for you.

Jan 26, 2024 at 1:26 PM Post #1,199 of 2,373
I have to report that we made a test of headphones, dacs and amps with some friends some times ago. I hope my impression won't be unconfortable to you Hifiman owners.
If the Aune S17 Pro worked wonderfully with Meze Elite, Arya Stealth and Beyerdynamic T90, it didn't work with the HE1000 Se. It sounded flat as f.. and pretty cold. Here where the Feliks Euphoria made them shine, extended impressively the scene width and brang the life. For the Elite I really prefered the S17 Pro which is more detailed and dynamic, has more punch and autority. The Euphoria has a serious problem in the bass, muddy, layerless, sounding even very cheap compared to the Aune.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 1:55 PM Post #1,200 of 2,373
They sound great with these, altough I would say that the Focal Radiance are a bit amp skeptic (they sound the same with every amp I own). Regarding the Sennheiser HD800s, in the beggining I thought the sinergy was better with the Focal Arya Stealth, but now I'm increasingly listening with the HD800s and really liking its sinergy (depending on the quality of the recording, but that's always the case with these unforgiving headphones).

Regarding the heat, I have a stable temperature of 61/62 °C using two 80mm fans running at 12V underneath the amp (room temperature 27°C, right now). Only problem is that I can hear the fans in quiet passages in the music. I am waiting for bigger (and hopefully quieter) fans that I've ordered (hoping that I can run them at 5V). Other than that, I also agree that it should be possible to turn off the the screen.

1000078345.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back