Aune S17 pro
May 16, 2024 at 3:21 AM Post #2,311 of 2,361
Yesterday LPs like:

...AND JUSTICE FOR ALL - Metallica
13 - Blur

music that theoretically should not play on the HE1000
they played at a volume of about 60-65dB with Aune so dynamically, resolved and layered that I couldn't tear myself away

especially on AND JUSTICE FOR ALL I heard layers of the mix that I had no idea about before

in one word - satisfied, this amplifier really does the trick with these headphones when listening at low volume

For this reason, I've been having problems with the amount of sleep lately :)

ps. actually there was supposed to be only one song from ..AND JUSTICE FOR ALL, but it turned out to be so addictive that I played it in its entirety, an album I have already heard dozens of times

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 4:34 AM Post #2,312 of 2,361

That's the beauty of our hobby.....sometimes you just lose track of time:)

I've had the same experience recently with my HD 800s. I usually use them together with my Elise. Tube amps and the HD 800s are a really good combination! It is actually my perfect combo so far, but yesterday I switched back to the S17 and was surprised at how good the soundstage is.

The S17 still surprises me!

May 16, 2024 at 9:39 AM Post #2,313 of 2,361
Yesterday LPs like:

...AND JUSTICE FOR ALL - Metallica
13 - Blur

music that theoretically should not play on the HE1000
they played at a volume of about 60-65dB with Aune so dynamically, resolved and layered that I couldn't tear myself away

especially on AND JUSTICE FOR ALL I heard layers of the mix that I had no idea about before

in one word - satisfied, this amplifier really does the trick with these headphones when listening at low volume

ps. actually there was supposed to be only one song from ..AND JUSTICE FOR ALL, but it turned out to be so addictive that I played it in its entirety, an album I have already heard dozens of times
So, you now like the S17 pro with the HE1000? I thought you previously posted an issue with highs being cut off on the HE1000 with this amp. Did the amp improve over time, or is it just working well with certain genres? I recently purchased the V222 which has great slam, but lacking a bit of layering and depth compared to the MJ3 I had previously. The V222 also has rolled off highs. Wondering if the S17 pro would come close the MJ3 in this regard, or should I be looking for for an amp that is more expensive than either the MJ3 or S17 pro?

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 10:00 AM Post #2,314 of 2,361
Sorry, but I have to come back briefly to the Mentor vs S17 Pro comparison.

I very much respect @Ichos opinion expressed here. However, I received a comment from another reviewer who discussed both amplifiers, so let me quote to shed additional light on this issue.

I quote:

How it (Mentor) compares to Aune S17 Pro?

@Soundnews:
S17 PRO doesn't provide as much power and it gets considerably warmer. Some even reported that it might move from 100mA to 50mA bias due to overheating (arriving at 69 degrees Celsius). Mentor never went past 40 degrees Celsius, even after 48 hours of non-stop music playback. Mentor provides more power, more headroom, a wider soundstage, a slightly tighter grip over headphone drivers (especially with planar headphones) and it is also by a hair more technical sounding (clearer, faster, having a better timing). The Mentor is also more expensive, so that shouldn't be a surprise. The only thing which people might prefer on the S17 PRO versus the Mentor via regular dynamic/planar headphones, would be its warmer/sweeter tonality vs the serious & transparent nature of the Mentor.

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #2,315 of 2,361
So, you now like the S17 pro with the HE1000? I thought you previously posted an issue with highs being cut off on the HE1000 with this amp. Did the amp improve over time, or is it just working well with certain genres? I recently purchased the V222 which has great slam, but lacking a bit of layering and depth compared to the MJ3 I had previously. The V222 also has rolled off highs. Wondering if the S17 pro would come close the MJ3 in this regard, or should I be looking for for an amp that is more expensive than either the MJ3 or S17 pro?
I like it very much, when listening at low volume, almost all the music sounds phenomenal, still retaining its fanciful character, less lifelike, but very addictive.

With the best produced music, you can turn the volume knob "to full", and then the real power of sound and realism appears.

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 11:13 AM Post #2,316 of 2,361
Sorry, but I have to come back briefly to the Mentor vs S17 Pro comparison.

I very much respect @Ichos opinion expressed here. However, I received a comment from another reviewer who discussed both amplifiers, so let me quote to shed additional light on this issue.

I quote:

How it (Mentor) compares to Aune S17 Pro?

@Soundnews:
S17 PRO doesn't provide as much power and it gets considerably warmer. Some even reported that it might move from 100mA to 50mA bias due to overheating (arriving at 69 degrees Celsius). Mentor never went past 40 degrees Celsius, even after 48 hours of non-stop music playback. Mentor provides more power, more headroom, a wider soundstage, a slightly tighter grip over headphone drivers (especially with planar headphones) and it is also by a hair more technical sounding (clearer, faster, having a better timing). The Mentor is also more expensive, so that shouldn't be a surprise. The only thing which people might prefer on the S17 PRO versus the Mentor via regular dynamic/planar headphones, would be its warmer/sweeter tonality vs the serious & transparent nature of the Mentor.
Exactly on par with what I have written many times.

May 16, 2024 at 12:28 PM Post #2,317 of 2,361
Try this, I always think it has a pretty 3-dimentional sound, especially the drums.

(My third favourite track after Supper's Ready and Stairway.)

Thanks for the recommendation will listen to it once I get back home.

This song usually gives me good soundstage but it's pretty much forced because it's kind of a spatial audio test track of sorts, with regular music, I kind of get it sometimes but not reliably so and it's just some instruments.

There's other aspects of the soundstage, like depth that simply do not happen to me a lot, which leads me to believe that it's my DAC which is holding my setup back.

May 16, 2024 at 12:36 PM Post #2,318 of 2,361
Exactly on par with what I have written many times.
I guess that Mentor would pull ahead with more demanding headphones, specially hard to drive planars like the Tungsten, Susvara, 1266, etc., in any head to head comparison because of the extra power that Mentor has, but in a sense, given the market segment that the S17 is placed, it's perfectly fine.

May 16, 2024 at 1:01 PM Post #2,319 of 2,361
I guess that Mentor would pull ahead with more demanding headphones, specially hard to drive planars like the Tungsten, Susvara, 1266, etc., in any head to head comparison because of the extra power that Mentor has, but in a sense, given the market segment that the S17 is placed, it's perfectly fine.
Each to his own.

May 16, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #2,320 of 2,361
I have relatively easy access to the HD800S, but it's not mine, but I can always take it out on loan from my father and I loan him my headphones in return, it's really cool to have a dad that shares your same enthusiasm for this hobby, I wish I could take on loan his two channel system tho but that's a tad more difficult.

The HD800S is definitively the more open sounding headphone I've had the pleasure of listening to, as well as the most competent sounding, I do have to EQ it somewhat specially with a really heavy bass shelf in order to make it more enjoyable to my ears, but the problem that I have with soundstage as often described, I have a hard time having that out-of-the-head experience and the sound expanding beyond the headphones as many people often describe typically for this kind of very wide sounding category of headphones, I'm always very aware that I'm listening to a pair of headphones and not, or at least not fully or close to something like a well put together stereo speaker system, it can sometimes happen to me with very specific parts of a limited range of songs, but it's not something that I would consider to be a consistent experience in my case.

Next week I'm going to be getting a Cayin RU7 and I plan to use it on my S17 to see if I can get some of that R2R goodness and maybe I will finally experience what people describe what soundstage really is, at least I hope to. I already tried feeding my Yuki to my S17 and it didn't gave me the results I wanted or expected, it wasn't that enjoyable tbh, I also got the opportunity to try out the earmen angel, at first it sounded great to my ears but yesterday that I got another chance to listen to it, I was not that impressive, probably need I little bit more time with it, it probably needs some burn in also, I'm not sure but it hasn't convince me yet, it sometimes has the ability to sound like a dedicated desktop HP amp like the S17 and truly impressive, specially for a portable device, and others is just another portable amp/dac not much different to the typical Fiio stuff but more expensive, hope it improves with time.
About Dacs a small comparing.
I'm listening acoustic Bela Fleck with Aune s17pro Gustard R26 Dac and Teac Nt-505 dac part with Akm 4491? chip and imo the differences in soundstage are minimal. Maybe the dac change isn't a revolution in soundstage anyhow. Otherwise Gustard sounds a bit more balanced and is a bit clearer in very complicated music. All in all the differences are quite small compared to big differences in headphones and amps imo.

May 16, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #2,322 of 2,361
About Dacs a small comparing.
I'm listening acoustic Bela Fleck with Aune s17pro Gustard R26 Dac and Teac Nt-505 dac part with Akm 4491? chip and imo the differences in soundstage are minimal. Maybe the dac change isn't a revolution in soundstage anyhow. Otherwise Gustard sounds a bit more balanced and is a bit clearer in very complicated music. All in all the differences are quite small compared to big differences in headphones and amps imo.
Well I have an entry/enthusiast level DAC for that matter, you have significantly better DACs(and expensive) than what I have currently, in theory the difference between your two DACs is not going to be much, maybe a slightly different sound presentation.

Btw are you doing any upsampling on your Gustard R26 with something like HQPlayer?

May 16, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #2,323 of 2,361
I have dca expanse,
Headphones are definitely hard to drive,
I really like their combination with s17,
I also have ferrum oor+hypsos which is technically better than the s17, but the s17 has a tonality that is very flattering to the expanse,
I should mention that I have a super transparent and detailed and very 'technical' dac (crane song solaris)
So it's all about synergy...

May 16, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #2,324 of 2,361
I have dca expanse,
Headphones are definitely hard to drive,
I really like their combination with s17,
I also have ferrum oor+hypsos which is technically better than the s17, but the s17 has a tonality that is very flattering to the expanse,
I should mention that I have a super transparent and detailed and very 'technical' dac (crane song solaris)
So it's all about synergy...
I'm very happy with my S17, that's why I have a really hard time deciding if I even want to upgrade, the only reason I would do so is for the ModHouse Tungsten and mostly out of fear of the S17 not having enough juice to power them to my satisfaction, but that's literally my only concern with this amp, maybe the MJ3 or the Mentor or the Gustard H26 or the Oor are "better" than the S17, but in any case that just means throwing more money a this hobby for ever decreasing marginal gains on sound quality and performance.

May 16, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #2,325 of 2,361
Well I have an entry/enthusiast level DAC for that matter, you have significantly better DACs(and expensive) than what I have currently, in theory the difference between your two DACs is not going to be much, maybe a slightly different sound presentation.

Btw are you doing any upsampling on your Gustard R26 with something like HQPlayer?
With Gustard mainly Qobuz hi res, no upsampling.
I had earlier Music fidelity V-series very basic dac and liked it a lot. Then I mainly listened with loudspeakers anyhow and it's of course a bit different.
Teac is a bit sad story because it's network card broke down after about three years of use. Now it continues as an alternative dac only and usb network player, if needed, without streaming option.
Both these dacs have good vol adjustments, which are very useful with my older Aune.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back